Service Culture

Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Service Culture

I'm not sure who gets to name agencies in government, but they must have a narrow field of vision. I don't think Transportation Security Administration is counter-intuitive, but it sure has an almost kneejerk quality to it. Does TSA "administer" transportation security? Some might say it does. To me, the entire purpose of the agency is to make flying safe. The whole air industry and all the people it served went into a fetal position immediately after the World Trade Center disaster. Suddenly, it seemed like people thought there was no safety anywhere. The government infact dealt the economy a body blow by grounding aircraft. Granted, they hadn't a clue where the next strike would be. But it seems to me the National Guard could have been called out to provide manpower for surveillance of air terminals.

That's all water under the bridge. I feel we should be well recovered from that moment, but I can't escape the feeling that the fear still stifles creativity. Complaining has become a national pastime.

Anyway, I hate interminable complaining. I want productive problemsolving. And to me, it starts with refocusing on TSA's real mission. I'd say it justifies its expenditure by serving the traveling public. That's the single reason we support a budget and the intrusion into the flying experience. So we all are CLIENTS, not suspects. Just as a person at a teller's counter is a client, so a traveler at a security checkpoitn is a client. The officer should be thinking they are serving a client, meeting that client's need. People stand in lines most places. It's part of 21st century life. Its is how our lifestyle is possible since mass production is the basis of our living standard.

I think a service guru or two should be hired by TSA. My first thought was Tom Peters since he spent years focusing on little else. But he may have peers who are even better. The point is that TSA spends our money, and it is incumbent we get value plus convenience. Lines have already been attacked in several ways, which I like. I can precheck from my computer at home, just like practically all my banking is done that way. But I think the service potential is far from exhausted.

I've seen a revolution at my local post office. When their business started encountering serious competition, service at that outpost became more and more pleasant. I'd stand in line for pickup of a parcel, and someone would call out that they'll take the slip and bring the item out. So I get OUT of the line and claim my parcel. And there's a list of other things I saw done which made it obvious that they were brainstorming the "service" which became part of their name.

I feel like writing a lot of letters to find out what is being done and suggest other things they can do. Instead of complaining, the clients ought to be suggesting how they'd like the service to work. I think this is a consumer friendly government, so maybe now the iron is hot.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
So we all are CLIENTS, not suspects.
We are citizens.

Not clients.

Not customers.

Not suspects.

Citizens.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JSmith1969
We are citizens.

Not clients.

Not customers.

Not suspects.

Citizens.
What was the point of that distinction? The TSA people are citizens, too. So? How is that a special status at the moment of the interaction?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:41 pm

I'm not sure who gets to name agencies in government, but they must have a narrow field of vision. I don't think Transportation Security Administration is counter-intuitive, but it sure has an almost kneejerk quality to it. Does TSA "administer" transportation security? Some might say it does. To me, the entire purpose of the agency is to make flying safe. The whole air industry and all the people it served went into a fetal position immediately after the World Trade Center disaster. Suddenly, it seemed like people thought there was no safety anywhere. The government infact dealt the economy a body blow by grounding aircraft. Granted, they hadn't a clue where the next strike would be. But it seems to me the National Guard could have been called out to provide manpower for surveillance of air terminals.

That's all water under the bridge. I feel we should be well recovered from that moment, but I can't escape the feeling that the fear still stifles creativity. Complaining has become a national pastime.

Anyway, I hate interminable complaining. I want productive problemsolving. And to me, it starts with refocusing on TSA's real mission. I'd say it justifies its expenditure by serving the traveling public. That's the single reason we support a budget and the intrusion into the flying experience. So we all are CLIENTS, not suspects. Just as a person at a teller's counter is a client, so a traveler at a security checkpoitn is a client. The officer should be thinking they are serving a client, meeting that client's need. People stand in lines most places. It's part of 21st century life. Its is how our lifestyle is possible since mass production is the basis of our living standard.

I think a service guru or two should be hired by TSA. My first thought was Tom Peters since he spent years focusing on little else. But he may have peers who are even better. The point is that TSA spends our money, and it is incumbent we get value plus convenience. Lines have already been attacked in several ways, which I like. I can precheck from my computer at home, just like practically all my banking is done that way. But I think the service potential is far from exhausted.

I've seen a revolution at my local post office. When their business started encountering serious competition, service at that outpost became more and more pleasant. I'd stand in line for pickup of a parcel, and someone would call out that they'll take the slip and bring the item out. So I get OUT of the line and claim my parcel. And there's a list of other things I saw done which made it obvious that they were brainstorming the "service" which became part of their name.

I feel like writing a lot of letters to find out what is being done and suggest other things they can do. Instead of complaining, the clients ought to be suggesting how they'd like the service to work. I think this is a consumer friendly government, so maybe now the iron is hot.
The TSA is over ALL transportation. Basically if it ain't your feet moving you the TSA has some dominion over it.

The TSA has only ONE job to do at the airport, when dealing with passengers, and that is to keep weapons, explosive and incendiaries off the plane.

While I understand your use of "client, customer, etc." I must disagree. The TSA needs to treat me as a citizen with my rights fully intact. Once that chore is done, then we can work on having happy faces at the checkpoints.

While the TSA is engaging in illegal activities and still failing at their mission, all the forced "yes sirs", "no sirs", "please" and "thank yous" mean nothing.

I agree that nonproductive complaining has become a national past time, thankfully the complaining here, the TSA blog and media outlets is productive.

Public opinion is very important when attempting to dismantle and rebuild a Government entity such as the TSA. The tide is turning from a "whatever makes us safer" attitude to a "why is the Government taking my rights and STILL not making us safer" attitude.

As for suggestions, the "clients" on this board and the TSA blog have made a ton. Most involve increasing real security based on practicalities and eliminating the security theater we currently have.

It has been at least a year since I suggested using a strapping machine to secure luggage from molestation after screening. The idea is cost effective, as the strappers are between $5k & $10k each, and would decrease the likelihood of a bomb being placed on board dramatically.

Have we heard a peep about that? Nope, not even a "we looked at it".

Feel free to write letters and contacting your Representatives as a good portion of us have. Do us a favor when you get a reply please post it to the forum, even if it is a form letter.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

So if a citizen comes to the security station with plans to crash the plane, you consider that treating the person as a "citizen" is the priority job. See, the trouble is that people have this unspoken prejudice that terror is something done to "citizens" by "foreigners". I think the dead babies in Oklahoma City would wish that were true.

No basically, citizens vs. noncitizens is not the dichotomy. Peaceable travelers versus conspirators is the one that counts. But I don't think that requires TSOs to abuse people not protected by the Constitution. If you are the peaceable part of the dichotomy, their job is to insure your peace remains intact. I don't think the Constitution is their primary concern. That concern has been addressed in Congress and the court system. Anything that these two bodies says is legal is, under our system of laws, legal. People who don't like that should emigrate to a desert island.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:49 pm

So if a citizen comes to the security station with plans to crash the plane, you consider that treating the person as a "citizen" is the priority job. See, the trouble is that people have this unspoken prejudice that terror is something done to "citizens" by "foreigners". I think the dead babies in Oklahoma City would wish that were true.

No basically, citizens vs. noncitizens is not the dichotomy. Peaceable travelers versus conspirators is the one that counts. But I don't think that requires TSOs to abuse people not protected by the Constitution. If you are the peaceable part of the dichotomy, their job is to insure your peace remains intact. I don't think the Constitution is their primary concern. That concern has been addressed in Congress and the court system. Anything that these two bodies says is legal is, under our system of laws, legal. People who don't like that should emigrate to a desert island.
Let's clear one thing, if you are in America you are protected by the Constitution. It does not matter if you are a Citizen or Alien.

Yes I do think that treating someone as a citizen with all rights intact is the foremost priority.

There is absolutely no conflict in treating someone as a citizen and security. I suggest you take the time to read the Constitution. It is an amazing document that protects people inalienable rights and still allows the bad guys to be prosecuted.

Take the 4th Amendment
Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
If I were a nefarious person intent on causing harm to an aircraft, how would the application of the 4th Amendment prevent the TSO from stopping me?

Short answer is it wouldn't. An administrative search at the checkpoint is reasonable under the 4th Amendment if it is tailored to finding weapons, explosives or incendiaries (WEI) and is undertaken in good faith to that goal.

Translation: looking for bombs is Constitutional, reading love letters in my wallet or looking for money is not.

The Constitution has to be a primary concern of ANY Government entity. Every action they take must be Constitutional or they have broken the law.

Think of the Constitution this way, it is the "God Law", there is no law higher. Congress' job is to write law that adheres to the "God Law". The Court's job is to see how a particular set of circumstances match up to, not only the subservient law that the Congress writes, but also the "God Law".

Just because the Congress or for that matter State, or local entities create a law does not mean that the law is legal under the Constitution.

BTW the Courts have determined many times that the TSA's job at the airport is to look for WEI and that is it.

I will tell you what really bugs me about the TSA is not only do they break Constitutional law but they also violate the very laws they have written with the forced ID verification at the checkpoint and allowing unscreened TSOs and airport workers to enter the sterile area.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:54 am

With all due respect, a security organization like TSA cannot be run like a private corporation. It would make the situation even worse. I've worked at private corporations, in the insurance field, about as cutthroat as can be. They did things like phased cuts of employees to make their bottom line look rosier than it was so that their stock price would go higher. The trouble is, the rest of the employees near the bottom of the ladder had to pick up the workload left by the terminated employees. It became impossible as they gutted the organization of good people. We did the best we could, not taking it out on our subscribers, but deep down there were no smiles on our faces. Eventually, the ax-cutters terminated our employment as well(but it wasn't a surprise because there were few of us left at the office anyway). If you did that to any security organization, you would be compromising the security of the very people the organization is supposed to protect. You specifically mention the Post Office and their current crisis whereby they are closing post offices and mailboxes to reduce their costs. You, as a customer, may see "improvement" in customer service because you associate the increased competition as the cause. It is email that is causing their woes. Its increased use has cut their revenues on letters as people make the switch. I've had a post office box for over 30 years at the same location and the employees I see there are not happy, despite the fact that their post office isn't closing. These employees probably have coworkers from other post offices that are getting the ax and now they will be getting the business from those closed post offices as well. There are no smiles on their faces. Most of them have always been courteous to the customers. They have supervisors that watch them work and take complaints when they screw up. There were a few bad apples but there will always be these types at every organization. You speak of value plus convenience from TSA because they are funded with taxpayer dollars. You get that from you local police force, FBI, CBP, etc.? They operate behind the scenes most of the time, protecting us.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:58 am

TSA can treat me as a customer, citizen, client, or anything else. All of which doesn't change their ACTIONS which are hugely invasive and in terms of Backscatter might be bad for your health.

I have indeed met some very friendly TSOs but yet still didn't feel comfortable about taking my shoes off, having them look though my bag, pollute food with radiation, put radiation into my body though cuts, look at me naked, or touch me from head to toe.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 6:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JSmith1969
We are citizens.

Not clients.

Not customers.

Not suspects.

Citizens.
I suspect that DHS has finally decided FT needs an active rebuttal.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 6:31 am

So if a citizen comes to the security station with plans to crash the plane, you consider that treating the person as a "citizen" is the priority job.
Yes.

See, the trouble is that people have this unspoken prejudice that terror is something done to "citizens" by "foreigners". I think the dead babies in Oklahoma City would wish that were true.
No; "terrorism" is the use of violence to intimidate or coerce and/or to introduce fear and panic into a population.

No basically, citizens vs. noncitizens is not the dichotomy. Peaceable travelers versus conspirators is the one that counts. But I don't think that requires TSOs to abuse people not protected by the Constitution.
Constitutional protections apply to everyone on U.S. soil, citizen or not. The dichotomy is not "citizens" vs "non-citizens".

If you are the peaceable part of the dichotomy, their job is to insure your peace remains intact.
TSO's are not peace officers.

I don't think the Constitution is their primary concern.
It should be their primary concern.

That concern has been addressed in Congress and the court system. Anything that these two bodies says is legal is, under our system of laws, legal. People who don't like that should emigrate to a desert island.
Did you hear that Mrs. Parks?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle

Thank goodness Flyertalk has people like you who see the truth. Those dead babies are crying down from heaven that we should stop worrying so much about the silly (even annoying) Constitution and start worrying about being safe. Who needs rights if you're dead? Why can't people understand that? Why can't people see how real the threat is? With hundreds -- thousands! -- of terrorists in "sleeper cells" waiting for us to let down our guard, we're supposed to be thinking about the Constitution? No, thanks! I'm with you. Safety first.

Bruce
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:41 am

The TSA's "faux" law enforcement style impairs their ability to have a service culture. They're dressed as fake cops, and call themselves "officer." They've built this artificial authority that is particularly ripe for abuse.

Although security can be onerous in other countries, the European security personnel wear normal clothes and no badges. In Israel, they wear khakis and white shirts. No badges. The attitude is, "I'm here because I work in airport security." The TSA's image, is "I'm so friggin' important. You will respect me."

The service/client issue becomes more complex if one considers a class issue. The TSA's employees are generally blue collar. Although they have some who are college-educated, others have had meaningful military and law enforcement careers--but I don't think that's the norm.

The flying public is overall wealthy. Frequent flyers are generally well-off. We travel in first class, stay in nice hotels, and have more meaningful jobs than counting the ounces in a shampoo container.

From an organizational behavior standpoint, we have blue collar workers, dressed as authority figures, asked to conduct humiliating searches on those who lead a life of greater privilege. This can't be good.

A compassionate viewpoint would say, "look at the screener." He or she has to spend long hours at a checkpoint with pitiful leadership, inane rules, and an endless sea of angry, tired passengers. He or she gets an acceptable, but not great paycheck.

Meanwhile, you are standing there, holding an "Gold/Chairman's/Platinum/FancyPants" frequent flyer card with a first class ticket to Maui. The only control that the screener has is to bark, perform a "continuous screening secondary," or look at you naked.

Of course I'd like to say, "Get a more meaningful job. You'll sleep better at night." But from a systems standpoint, I would like the TSA to be more focused on being helpful. They could take the attitude, "I'm here because I care about you and your family, and keeping the plane safe is my job." In other words, it takes the job of a TSA employee into a "helping" role, not a "controlling" role.

The other aspect from a systems approach is to eliminate opportunities for petty power trips. Harsh penalties for barking. Stop the liquid and shoe business. End the "stare downs." Use full body x-ray only when you must, and only with the passenger's informed consent.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by QUERY
With all due respect, a security organization like TSA cannot be run like a private corporation. It would make the situation even worse. I've worked at private corporations, in the insurance field, about as cutthroat as can be. They did things like phased cuts of employees to make their bottom line look rosier than it was so that their stock price would go higher. The trouble is, the rest of the employees near the bottom of the ladder had to pick up the workload left by the terminated employees. It became impossible as they gutted the organization of good people. We did the best we could, not taking it out on our subscribers, but deep down there were no smiles on our faces. Eventually, the ax-cutters terminated our employment as well(but it wasn't a surprise because there were few of us left at the office anyway). If you did that to any security organization, you would be compromising the security of the very people the organization is supposed to protect. You specifically mention the Post Office and their current crisis whereby they are closing post offices and mailboxes to reduce their costs. You, as a customer, may see "improvement" in customer service because you associate the increased competition as the cause. It is email that is causing their woes. Its increased use has cut their revenues on letters as people make the switch. I've had a post office box for over 30 years at the same location and the employees I see there are not happy, despite the fact that their post office isn't closing. These employees probably have coworkers from other post offices that are getting the ax and now they will be getting the business from those closed post offices as well. There are no smiles on their faces. Most of them have always been courteous to the customers. They have supervisors that watch them work and take complaints when they screw up. There were a few bad apples but there will always be these types at every organization. You speak of value plus convenience from TSA because they are funded with taxpayer dollars. You get that from you local police force, FBI, CBP, etc.? They operate behind the scenes most of the time, protecting us.
I agree with your assessment just want to correct some facts.

The USPS is having a tough time because direct mail (junk mail) is down not because of email or UPS or FedEx.

The USPS is run like a private corporation. The only time it gets Federal money infused is when there is an unexpected emergency need. A good example would be when they had to buy anthrax detectors, the cost of those detectors pushed the USPS budget way over so Congress had to bail them out. Normally the USPS gets NO taxpayer money.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Mats
From an organizational behavior standpoint, we have blue collar workers, dressed as authority figures, asked to conduct humiliating searches on those who lead a life of greater privilege. This can't be good.
Greater privilege? Says who? Uh, I mean whom? What privilege could possibly be greater than protecting the American public from terrorists? Could your job possibly be more important than remembering 9/11/01 and keeping people safe? Come on! You can't be serious.

Bruce
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
What was the point of that distinction? The TSA people are citizens, too. So? How is that a special status at the moment of the interaction?
Some citizens are more equal than others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.