Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Would you trust your local Dry Cleaners to take your fingerprints for Govt ID's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you trust your local Dry Cleaners to take your fingerprints for Govt ID's?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 12:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)

So, when they finally get round to requiring all u.s. persons to have ID's with fingerprints, who would you trust to collect these fingerprints?

In Britain, the government is considering allowing High Street retailers to do the dirty work. BTW, in Britain, many Post Offices are operated by News Agents/Tobacconists/Sweet Shops.

The Home Office has axed plans to set up ID card enrolment centres and instead wants pharmacies, post offices and photographic shops to do the work.
Trade bodies representing chains such as Boots and Snappy Snaps told the BBC they can be trusted with the data.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Not much different than what's already done in the U.S. Several merchants in the city I worked in offered fingerprinting services.
Old May 7, 2009, 1:29 am

Since fingerprinting isn't done with an inkpad anymore but rather via electronic laser readers which reads the info into (suposedly) secure document which cannot be seen or open by those who take them it might not be such a drama.

All our documents that are now issued have bio metic data on then. We have the data recored at our local Mayors office and from there it is sent directly to the national document printer. Even our prints are incripted right away so the person taking them cannot actually see them.
Old May 7, 2009, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by moeve
Since fingerprinting isn't done with an inkpad anymore but rather via electronic laser readers which reads the info into (suposedly) secure document which cannot be seen or open by those who take them it might not be such a drama.

All our documents that are now issued have bio metic data on then. We have the data recored at our local Mayors office and from there it is sent directly to the national document printer. Even our prints are incripted right away so the person taking them cannot actually see them.
You know electronic fingerprint devices scare me. If I have an image of your fingerprint I can make a stamp with that image and put your fingerprints anywhere I want the cops to find them.

On a fun note if you take a black felt tipped pen and draw on your fingers it will show up as the white portion of the image. I choose a frowny face, it was great the girl taking the image almost recognized what it was, but she couldn't place her finger on it.
Old May 7, 2009, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
...On a fun note if you take a black felt tipped pen and draw on your fingers it will show up as the white portion of the image. ...
Good to know - if they ever require us to register and carry finger-printed ID cards in this country, I will alter my fingerprints using a fine-tip marker before getting the scan done.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Good to know - if they ever require us to register and carry finger-printed ID cards in this country, I will alter my fingerprints using a fine-tip marker before getting the scan done.
With a transfer you could probably fit an amendment on each finger.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IslandBased
With a transfer you could probably fit an amendment on each finger.
Excellent idea!!
Old May 7, 2009, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Excellent idea!!
First finger, first amendment, second finger- reserved for a more personal message, etc...
Old May 7, 2009, 11:42 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
You know electronic fingerprint devices scare me. If I have an image of your fingerprint I can make a stamp with that image and put your fingerprints anywhere I want the cops to find them.
One problem with biometric IDs is that they cannot be revoked. Once someone has stolen your fingerprint you are #$!@ed.

That, and people without fingerprints will be denied jobs (it already happens), denied their right to travel, etc.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ralfp
One problem with biometric IDs is that they cannot be revoked. Once someone has stolen your fingerprint you are #$!@ed.

That, and people without fingerprints will be denied jobs (it already happens), denied their right to travel, etc.
That might restrict the travel of several carpenters that I have met.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
While there may be some merit in children’s fingerprint programs, the thought that the TSA is participating by having TSOs in full uniform doing this is just sickening.

Indoctrination, anyone?

Old May 7, 2009, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Indoctrination, anyone?
OMG, train them young to "Bow to the Authority" of Blue Smurf Shirts with Tin Badges, and the next generation of pax will be a TSA Utopia™ of sheeple.
Old May 7, 2009, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
OMG, train them young to "Bow to the Authority" of Blue Smurf Shirts with Tin Badges, and the next generation of pax will be a TSA Utopia™ of sheeple.
A few transits and they will be cynical sheep.
Old May 7, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Instructions available here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.