Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Which immigration line in US when travelling on a non-immigrant visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Mariott (Silver), Kimpton (Global program), Priority Pass

After a long struggle with mountains of paperwork, I am now officially in possession of an O1 visa! I had a question which you folks might know the answer to. Normally when I get to Logan I go in the right hand queue (red is it?) which is for all visitors to the US. The other queue is for "citizens and permanent residents" I think.

Do you know if I still have to go in the "visitors" queue now I have the visa?

Thanks

DocW
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by DocW
Do you know if I still have to go in the "visitors" queue now I have the visa?
Sorry, yes - the other line is for Citizens & Permanent Residents, ie Green (actually pink) Card Holders.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Well done. The immigration agent may well be quite impressed that you have an O visa - the most prestigious sort there is. But you still have to queue up with all the tourists in the queue for grubby foreigners I'm afraid.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Yes, well done on the O visa. Logan? Heading to Cambridge, I presume?

Though I don't think the folks at ICE will be all too impressed - I'm sure they see plenty of every category of visa.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
The ICE folks will treat you well. Once time when I entered on an O1 the inspector even showed me how to fill out the back side of the white I-94, the side "for government use only" . There are quite a few boxes they fill in. He said it would expedite things if next time I filled these out myself. I filled it out many times, and inspectors were always thankful.

But watch out for the airlines. I had two problems, back in the days when O visas were new.

1. One airline, I forget which but may have been Lufthansa, claimed the visa was void because it was a ZERO (not Oh, because Oh was not on their list yet). Took some convincing.

2. Swissair (rip) had in their computers that O visas were for members of the clergy. At check-in they asked what religion I was preaching for, I said none, and they insisted there must have been a mistake with my visa, it had to be wrong, and I would surely be turned away, so they refused to board me. I had a bunch of supporting documentation, but they insisted it was all wrong. Eventually a supervisor left me board after I signed some form accepting liability in case the visa was bad.

I think these were all early problems in the early days of O visas. You're probably okay now. Enjoy your trip and the visitors line.

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Apr 14, 2009 at 11:49 am
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:54 am
Suspended

does not matter what line you are in they are trained to deal with all foriegners and talk to them like s"#*
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by bizclassboy
does not matter what line you are in they are trained to deal with all foriegners and talk to them like s"#*
No they don't. They've never treated me with anything but the utmost of courtesy and friendliness. Give me the US over the UK any day.

Still you reap what you sow, so perhaps that's why you're treated in the way you are. Perhaps they don't warm to your constant negativity
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
OT: my cockles were warmed to see OP refer to that particular airport by name and not three letter code. Nostalgia of native New England. Have nothing to contribute on lines/queues though except for fact that when I arrive [after 20 years resident in UK] they always say "welcome home" but I think that's what they do with US citizens who live abroad, or have been abroad?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
Canadians can still use the 'Citizens and PR's' line right?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:16 pm

Since it is must be reasonably obvious to the OP that he/she is neither a citizen nor a permanent resident, I am not sure why this thread exists, unless it is merely a way to mention the O1 visa.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kalia960
Since it is must be reasonably obvious to the OP that he/she is neither a citizen nor a permanent resident, I am not sure why this thread exists, unless it is merely a way to mention the O1 visa.
I don't know about that. When I first got my visa, I was moving to 'reside' in the US and did think twice about which queue to go in. Fair question, and FT can be a friendly place to ask these sorts of things.

It does seem a bit odd if you've been here for years, own property, consider it your home, etc that you are still very much a 'visitor' to immigration! Those are the rules...

I've also had the lecture (it wasn't a nice one) about how I'M responsible for filling in 3-4 fields on the 'Government Use Only' side. I said "I've never been told to do that in 5 years", and he said "well others aren't doing their job".
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
It does seem a bit odd if you've been here for years, own property, consider it your home, etc that you are still very much a 'visitor' to immigration! Those are the rules...
It's true that 'visitor' is an imprecise term. But I don't think any of your listed activities and thoughts by themselves make you either a 'citizen' or a 'permanent resident', both of which are quite precise terms. So you join the other line, whatever it may be called.

I do realize that the other line is staffed such that it is usually slower; such explicit discrimination is legal, but as someone who has been in both lines, I wish they wouldn't do that.

And even when it does not take longer, there is still a certain something about being in the 'elite' line, which FTers are particularly attuned to.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Apr 14, 2009 at 2:38 pm
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:50 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
No they don't. They've never treated me with anything but the utmost of courtesy and friendliness. Give me the US over the UK any day.

Still you reap what you sow, so perhaps that's why you're treated in the way you are. Perhaps they don't warm to your constant negativity
Well said! The US immigration and security staff (TSA) are mostly a real breath of fresh air compared with the miserable unmentionables at LHR. The people at GSO and RDU are truly lovely - but that is the south.

LHR is really a national disgrace; even the woman in IRIS sounds fairly stroppy!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:57 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kalia960

I do realize that the other line is staffed such that it is usually slower; such explicit discrimination is legal, but as someone who has been in both lines, I wish they wouldn't do that.
Surely it is right that a country should give some advantage (in terms of queuing time) to its own citizens returning home? And why us the word 'discrimination' in such a pejorative way (as is so often done these days, as if there is the chance of a government-funded law suit and 'compo' round the corner'). Without discrimination society would fall to bits; it is a good job that BA discriminate when deciding who they will allow to fly aircraft (qualified pilots) and those who will not be permitted (everyone else).
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Phrantic
Canadians can still use the 'Citizens and PR's' line right?
No, at least not at EWR on Thursday where we had a delightful discussion in the queue with a Canadian lady who had heard all about George Galloway MP and how right it was that he be banned from Canada. She had been directed to the furriners line by a TSA person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.