Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA plans to replace the walk-through metal detect with MMW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA plans to replace the walk-through metal detect with MMW

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
The following is a reply to that newsweek article(which got a reply from PV's own, Blogdad Bob) from someone claiming to be a TSO. If this is real, . Bolding added by me because it says it all:

"I work for TSA and first off I want to say this to passengers that I can't say at work. FIrst we don't want to screen you anymore than you want to be screened. We don't enjoy it but it's our job to hopefully try and protect you and your loved ones from situations like 911.

The screening is very random we don't try to pick on anyone. I can say if you are wearing extra baggy clothing you might be picked out due to the fact that we cannot tell if you have anything under that baggy sweater or shirt and since we prefer not to touch you since some people do not know how to properly bath we will put you through the machine. The person looking at the image has no clue who the actual person is and never will since they are in a far off room somewhere looking at grey images. The images are erased immediately after you step out of the machine.

I hate when passengers come to the checkpoint and ask dumb questions about the machine because they get the wrong information from articles like this. NO ONE WILL EVER SEE YOUR IMAGE AND KNOW WHO YOU ARE. WE DO NOT ENJOY SITTING IN A TINY ROOM LOOKING AT GREY IMAGES BELIEVE ME WE HATE IT. I would like to know who exactly gets off from looking at grey images all day because we don't and we do have a female officer looking at female images and a male officer looking at male images.

If you prefer to get felt up in public by a tso than by all means go ahead but I would think someone would prefer the machine over getting touched all over their body I would think thats more invasive if anything especially in public.

Next about us taking your items like we really want used items. If you don't like the rules don't fly or write your president... see how far that gets you. TSA post the rules on our website TSA.GOV take 2 minutes out of your day and read it if you know you will be flying. We have to take items that are larger than 3.4 ounces for YOUR safety not ours so your plane hopefully won't get blown up and For reasons I cannot disclose.

If you want to get mad because we have to take a $4.00 toothpaste that is too big. WE REALLY DON'T CARE. We have a job to do let us do it. Are you really going to brush your teeth on a 5 hour plane ride?? Do you not make enough money to buy another $4.00 tube of toothpaste when your plane lands?? If you don't then you shouldn't be flying.

Really people grow up. TSA is for YOUR protection. We hope to prevent another Sept. 11 we can't always make promises but we can try give us credit for that. The items we take we throw in the trash in front of your face so for all the dumb people that think we want half used water and toothpaste..... really?? We get paid more than enough to buy our own thank you because believe me if we didn't we wouldn't work for TSA for all the bull we go through with ignorant passengers it would't be worth it.

So quit thinking were some menacing people that enjoy looking at grey images of people we will never see in real life because more than half the time passengers are not attractive enough and quit thinking we have nothing better to do than to take your half used water and toothpaste because believe me we don't enjoy it anymore than you do especially when there is more than enough information out there for you to know not to bring liquids,gels, and aresols larger than 3.4 ounces.

Posted By unknown on March 24, 2009, 12:16 AM"

Old May 21, 2009, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by petal
New, and very graphic, images of the body scan in this Newsweek article. I, for one, will NOT be going through the scan, nor with my three daughters!

http://current.newsweek.com/budgettr...your_priv.html

My understanding is that after a pax goes through the scan the image is immediately deleted from the computer. I'm not a computer wizard but was told by one that even though you delete something from your computer that it is still on your hard drive until it is copied over.
and i will join you in not going thru the scanner. if the tsa really wants to see my johnson that badly, they have their choice of a private screening or i'll drop trou right here.

i'm also gonna go on record that somewhere between now and the next 30-60 days, i believe that "something is gonna happen". whether it's a cc security tape of the folks doing the viewing making rude comments about pax anatomy (or something similar) being made public or actual pax pictures ending up on the internet (giving even more proof that the tsa doesn't know what it's doing as they have assured us that the images are being destroyed once viewed )
Old May 21, 2009, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
^

We know who the real disgusting slobs are.
Old May 21, 2009, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lying TSAer
If you want to get mad because we have to take a $4.00 toothpaste that is too big. WE REALLY DON'T CARE. We have a job to do let us do it. Are you really going to brush your teeth on a 5 hour plane ride?? Do you not make enough money to buy another $4.00 tube of toothpaste when your plane lands?? If you don't then you shouldn't be flying.

Really people grow up. TSA is for YOUR protection. We hope to prevent another Sept. 11 we can't always make promises but we can try give us credit for that. The items we take we throw in the trash in front of your face so for all the dumb people that think we want half used water and toothpaste..... really?? We get paid more than enough to buy our own thank you because believe me if we didn't we wouldn't work for TSA for all the bull we go through with ignorant passengers it would't be worth it.
Old May 21, 2009, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Pay n attention t the images at that site. These are NT the images yu are lking fr. All is nw well with the world. Why? Because Blgger Bb respnded t the flks at Newsweek. He wrte this:
Blogger Bob here from the TSA Eos Blog. I wanted to clear some things up. These are not the images that our officers see. To read more about the technology and to see the correct images, please go here...
Old May 21, 2009, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
California Gold Mine, 2009 Edition

Originally Posted by goalie
or actual pax pictures ending up on the internet (giving even more proof that the tsa doesn't know what it's doing as they have assured us that the images are being destroyed once viewed )
As someone else first pointed out, the papa-ratzi press will pay umpteen thousands for pics of certain hot A list celebs regularly going through LAX. I say it is a matter of when, not if, some TSO will decide to add to his "retirement account" from the new 2009 California Gold Mine.
Old May 21, 2009, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
<SNIP> The following is a reply to that newsweek article
Speaking of comments, here’s another case of FAIL:

Originally Posted by Sheeple FA
It's sad that the world has come to this, but better to be safe than sorry. And I don't think a secondary pat down could be nearly as effective without being very intrusive. In my opinion it's the price we all have to pay for the privledge [sic] of flying

Unfortunately we will always have the threat of terrorist action against aviation, and if there is the possibility of preventing another 9/11 because of these scanners, then I am all for it. I have 2 children that I would like to come home to after my trips. I don't view this any differently than going to a Doctor's office. If people don't like the idea, then perhaps Amtrak is a better alternative.

Wendi Tremblay
(Flight Attendant for a major carrier).
Posted By Wendi
Cue the violin music. We have to do this For The Children™.
Old May 21, 2009, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Speaking of comments, here’s another case of FAIL:

Cue the violin music. We have to do this For The Children™.
Yeah, says the person (the FA) who is officially exempt from the liquid lunacy and is unofficially exempt from secondaries.
Old May 21, 2009, 7:32 pm

Just keep lining up, folks. Dignity and respect...
Old May 21, 2009, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LessO2
Yeah, says the person (the FA) who is officially exempt from the liquid lunacy and is unofficially exempt from secondaries.
+1

Wendi: I appreciate your sentiment and used to think like that myself, but if someone wants to blow up a plane and is smart enough, they are going to do it. Current TSA policies serve only to inconvenience passengers while giving a false illusion of security at the cost of our cherished civil liberties.
Old May 22, 2009, 3:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Someone needs to ask for the test images from the manufacturer of the purchased devices to know that the better resolution images they can produce are able to be used to determine if a male passenger is circumcised or not and the state of the male's genitalia.
Old May 22, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by Sheeple FA
"It's sad that the world has come to this, but better to be safe than sorry. And I don't think a secondary pat down could be nearly as effective without being very intrusive. In my opinion it's the price we all have to pay for the privledge [sic] of flying

Unfortunately we will always have the threat of terrorist action against aviation, and if there is the possibility of preventing another 9/11 because of these scanners, then I am all for it. I have 2 children that I would like to come home to after my trips. I don't view this any differently than going to a Doctor's office. If people don't like the idea, then perhaps Amtrak is a better alternative.
"
Wendi Tremblay
(Flight Attendant for a major carrier).
Posted By Wendi

Well, who knew? A rep for a major US airline that's in such a sound business position they can dismiss customers with: "Don't like our crap? try Amtrack."

Easily shown that since 9/11 pax have more to fear from crew than crew do from pax. To claim that an airline's customers must go through processes that crew are exempt from, to achieve some sort of illusionary security/safety nirvana, is beyond despicable. Unfortunately FT has no icon to accurately show my contempt for "Wendi" and her ilk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.