Wiki Posts
Search

Ettiquette for air marshalls?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Ettiquette for air marshalls?

searched for a similar thread to no avail - moderator, please move if needed.

Is there a standard of behavior for air marshalls? Flew CLT PHL today. Two identically dressed, (shirts untucked, jeans, dark shoes, nylon broefcases and sunglasses) pre -pre board by cutting to the front of a very long line. Surprse - they are seated across the aisle from each other in F. Both playing video games on phones. Both have their briefcases in the OH - no other luggage. It is a full flight and the bulkhead guys can not find room for their bags. One of the bulkheaders says, whose briefcases are these? No reply. Again, "whose briefcases are these - wouol you mind putting them below your seat so I can stow my bag, I'm in bulkhead." One of the duo fesses up that it is his briefcase - but refuses to move it! Says he is in FC and he only has one bag and he can leave it up top. His partner pretends to be deaf and dumb and concentrates intensely on his video game. The FA's make no atempt to assist and te bulkead guy ends up with his bag somewhere aft. The duo then both fall asleep, (as in snoring asleep - not some sneaky security pretend to be asleep).

So what's the deal? They take two F seats on a full flight and then act like complete jerks. Shouldn't they at least have some minimum level of courtesy and understanding of how the boarding/luggage process works?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought FAMs usually keep their bags at their feet . . .
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:58 pm

If someone doesn't respond when prompted repeatedly who a bag belongs to, you'd best pull it down and give it to the head flight attendant. Unaccompanied bags are a security threat. Remember, we're at threat level Orange - one cannot be too careful.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:23 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shiner
If someone doesn't respond when prompted repeatedly who a bag belongs to, you'd best pull it down and give it to the head flight attendant. Unaccompanied bags are a security threat. Remember, we're at threat level Orange - one cannot be too careful.
^
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:33 pm

Assuming they were FAMs (not convinced) then their behavior was very poor. Unprofessional, IMO. Most especially the sleeping part.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:38 pm

The description (NOT behavior) sounds like the typical monday morning installer. I had a couple on my flight who fit that exact description but were not in 2 aisle.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:46 pm

Why do you assume they were FAM's? Boorish behavior is not uncommon in FC.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Good Guy
Why do you assume they were FAM's? Boorish behavior is not uncommon in FC.
Pre-boarding is the first tip off.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
Pre-boarding is the first tip off.
Which tells me they were not FAM's. Plus everyone knows, FAM's carry backpacks, not briefcases.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Good Guy
Which tells me they were not FAM's. Plus everyone knows, FAM's carry backpacks, not briefcases.
LOL
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:44 pm

Shoot, on flights I've been on, if no one claims it, the person needing the space will move it. I've seen flight attendants help on occassion, but if you don't claim it and help make room, prepare for your bag to be abused or moved some feet away and crammed in another OC that will fit it.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
In fairness to all the hard working FAM's, I can't confirm that these two louts were FAM's. GJ83 referred to "installers" I'm not sure what that means. Is there some other type of traveler that would typically travel in pairs, dress similarly and always board right behind the crew? I see this fairly regularly and always assumed they were FAM's. Good Guy, I agree, I have seen much worse behavior from MR. or MS. DYKWIA - in fact that is increasingly the norm - unfortunately.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 6:16 pm

Installers - people who install things. In my company trainers dress business casual, but installers, people who actually put in computer systems, dress in a company polo and khakis.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:20 pm

FAMs act just like any F/C pax. Why should they be different? They are told to blend in.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by shiner
While I realise you are speaking tongue-in-cheek here, if you really did encounter an unattended bag, you should NEVER touch it. Simply alert the crew who will then escalate the situation based upon their assesment of circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.