Search

Travelling to US with passport in maiden name

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Travelling to US with passport in maiden name

I got married 18 months ago, and, while my wife has taken my surname (as is the default here), she hasn't updated her passport. This is in part due to the cost and hassle of doing so due to new UK regulations.

We've travelled internationally several times since, without any problems (we are both UK citizens) - in fact, it's barely crossed our minds. This, however, doesn't include the US, which I know has a lot more information on travellers than other countries in the world.

Does anybody have any experience of this? We could:

a) Get the passport updated. Would mean cost (over £75 for the passport) and quite possibly time off work for an interview (difficult, given her job, and costly - it's £25 to get to London).

b) Travel as we did when unmarried. An eagle-eyed immigration or customs officer may spot wedding rings, and I don't want to get into the business of lying.

c) Travel as married, but with different surnames. If challenged, insist that this is not that uncommon these days.

Any thoughts or experience would be welcome. The UK IPS (immigration and passport service) is strangely evasive on this matter, only saying that 'some' countries 'might' not like you to do this.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Travel as a married couple with different names. It just isn't all that uncommon. My wife and I do it and have had no problems over the three years we've been married. The key to this is that her ticket must be purchased in the same name as the passport. As long as that is the case she shouldn't have any troubles.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Should be no problem at all and although I am sure the immigration officer will ask the relationship of you and the person you are with it is not uncommon at all for the passports not to match up. My wife and I traveled for many years with her passport still in her unmarried name and never a problem. We did keep a copy of our marriage certificate just in case it ever came up any place but should not be a problem at all.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by stut
I got married 18 months ago, and, while my wife has taken my surname (as is the default here), she hasn't updated her passport. This is in part due to the cost and hassle of doing so due to new UK regulations.

We've travelled internationally several times since, without any problems (we are both UK citizens) - in fact, it's barely crossed our minds. This, however, doesn't include the US, which I know has a lot more information on travellers than other countries in the world.

Does anybody have any experience of this? We could:

a) Get the passport updated. Would mean cost (over £75 for the passport) and quite possibly time off work for an interview (difficult, given her job, and costly - it's £25 to get to London).

b) Travel as we did when unmarried. An eagle-eyed immigration or customs officer may spot wedding rings, and I don't want to get into the business of lying.

c) Travel as married, but with different surnames. If challenged, insist that this is not that uncommon these days.

Any thoughts or experience would be welcome. The UK IPS (immigration and passport service) is strangely evasive on this matter, only saying that 'some' countries 'might' not like you to do this.
No problem.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your comments: that's very reassuring.

Without wanting to get too far into the minutiae of it all... Those of you who travel married with different names, do you fill in a single customs form? And have you ever got any grief as a result of doing so?

(I'm probably being over-cautious here as a result of some fairly thorough screenings on previous trips to the US.)
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:13 am

We have different last names and we always fill in one customs form. Never had a problem, and I think we have only been asked once if we were married.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks all for your comments: that's very reassuring.

Without wanting to get too far into the minutiae of it all... Those of you who travel married with different names, do you fill in a single customs form? And have you ever got any grief as a result of doing so?

(I'm probably being over-cautious here as a result of some fairly thorough screenings on previous trips to the US.)
Single customs form. The rule is "per family" and not per name.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Same as the above posters. We've been married 30 years, always travel with different names, never any questions or problems with filing a single customs declaration - "one per family." Same thing when I travel with our kids, who have my husband's surname - even though authorities are careful about international abductions.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:19 pm

it shouldn't be a problem but if I were you I would check ahead with the proper authorities to save time in the future if something would happen.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC SE
This is never a problem.

In Quebec, Women are not able to take the husband's name - unless willing to go through the normal changing of name procedure available to anyone. (details for those that are interested can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Married...Qu.C3.A9bec.29)

I have entered the USA 50+ times since married. We fill out 1 customs card on which I list my name. I have never been asked any question whatsoever regarding names, marital status etc.

The important issue to me would be to ensure the passport name match the plane ticket.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:42 pm
oec

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
My husband and I travel internationally frequently with different last names. I did not want to change my name when we got married as I quite like my maiden name.

We fill out one US customs form with his name and we have yet to have a problem.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Excellent, this puts my mind at rest - many thanks. The ticket does indeed match the passport, as will the ESTA.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 4:29 am

My wife's Brasilian passport STILL bears her maiden name, her US passport is in her married name. I'll buy her ticket in her married name if we travel together, her maiden name if she travels alone. She always carries a copy of our marriage certificate and a photocopy of her Naturalization certificate. She only had trouble (very small delay) once almost 10 years ago, but was due to her 2 year conditional status being lapsed while the removal of conditional status was being adjudicated. We had a letter from INS which showed the dates and that she was approved to re enter the US. The GA in Brazil was a little confused by the dates on the letter so they actually called Houston, and someone there verified that she was OK.

Last edited by galeaoguy; Feb 25, 2009 at 4:47 am
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:16 am

Just in case stut needs even more reassurance... we have different names too and never had any problems. Keeping separate names isn't really all that uncommon any more here in the UK... and as others have mentioned there are places where people NEVER change their names on marriage (Belgium, Iceland - to name just a couple).

You should have no problems whatsoever.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Single customs form. The rule is "per family" and not per name.
Of course you need to follow the US definition of "family".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.