Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Are the Amish eligible to apply for US passports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

If everyone will need a US passport to travel to/from Canada, does that
DHS requirement include the Amish?

The reason I'm wondernig is that Native Americans can use their tribal ID
or document in lieu of US passport... is it the same for the Amish?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:55 pm

Yes.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:13 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Why wouldn't they be eligible?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Do they allow themselves to be photographed?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 4:12 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I just looked it up. It's against their beliefs to be photographed. They consider the photograph a graven image, and they view it as a form of vanity and the photograph itself, when viewed, is an idol.

Photography is allowed strictly for medicinal and for official purposes in which the government, and not by the amish themselves, keep the photograph.

So this is a gray area. The government will issue them a passport, but they have to allow themselves to be photographed in order to have one.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:09 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by mkt
I just looked it up. It's against their beliefs to be photographed. They consider the photograph a graven image, and they view it as a form of vanity and the photograph itself, when viewed, is an idol.
So you're telling me the people in the ads for those Revolutionary Amish Electric Fireplaces aren't really Amish.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by ralfp
So you're telling me the people in the ads for those Revolutionary Amish Electric Fireplaces aren't really Amish.
But you're not really buying the fireplace, you're buying the fine Amish woodwork, the fireplace is free.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
But you're not really buying the fireplace, you're buying the fine Amish woodwork, the fireplace is free.
that's what the waterbed salesman told me... "you buy the bed and we'll throw in the water for FREE!" (unless he was planning to fill the waterbed with Evian, it's not really a deal)
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by Roy2CDG
The reason I'm wondernig is that Native Americans can use their tribal ID or document in lieu of US passport... is it the same for the Amish?
No.

Unlike the Native Americans (who were here before the rest of us, had functioning governments with whom the USA made treaties, etc.) the Amish are not a sovereign group and so don't have a 'tribal id'. They're just plain old American citizens.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:36 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by mkt
Photography is allowed strictly for medicinal and for official purposes in which the government, and not by the amish themselves, keep the photograph.
Just to be clear, there is a statement in the U.S. passport that it is the property of the United States government.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Just to be clear, there is a statement in the U.S. passport that it is the property of the United States government.
Yes, but the photograph is the property of the person who paid for the photograph until the person willfully surrenders the photo to another party (i.e., the passport issuing authorities in this case).
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by BStrauss3
Unlike the Native Americans (who were here before the rest of us ......
By my reckoning, anybody who was "here before the rest of us" would be at least 233 years old - or 400 years old if you start counting from Jamestown.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:03 pm

You cant have it both ways. Anyone remember that Muslim woman who wanted to get her drivers license photo taken while wearing a face covering?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Interesting question. My guess is they can, but if it goes against their beliefs they either have to adapt or go without a passport. Most people will adapt. ; )
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
WWPS: What Would PETA Say?

Originally Posted by Roy2CDG
If everyone will need a US passport to travel to/from Canada, does that include the Amish?
Even IF the Amish can produce a photo and get a passport, they cannot FLY to Canada, as the result of a lawsuit filed by some disgruntled Canadian citizens.

Seems they object to the overflights of those horse drawn 747s. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.