FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Are the Amish eligible to apply for US passports? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/924345-amish-eligible-apply-us-passports.html)

Roy2CDG Feb 21, 2009 2:38 pm

Are the Amish eligible to apply for US passports?

If everyone will need a US passport to travel to/from Canada, does that
DHS requirement include the Amish?

The reason I'm wondernig is that Native Americans can use their tribal ID
or document in lieu of US passport... is it the same for the Amish?

Centurion210 Feb 21, 2009 2:55 pm

Yes.

mkt Feb 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Why wouldn't they be eligible?

We Will Never Forget Feb 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Do they allow themselves to be photographed? :confused:

mkt Feb 21, 2009 4:12 pm

I just looked it up. It's against their beliefs to be photographed. They consider the photograph a graven image, and they view it as a form of vanity and the photograph itself, when viewed, is an idol.

Photography is allowed strictly for medicinal and for official purposes in which the government, and not by the amish themselves, keep the photograph.

So this is a gray area. The government will issue them a passport, but they have to allow themselves to be photographed in order to have one.

ralfp Feb 21, 2009 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by mkt (Post 11298929)
I just looked it up. It's against their beliefs to be photographed. They consider the photograph a graven image, and they view it as a form of vanity and the photograph itself, when viewed, is an idol.

So you're telling me the people in the ads for those Revolutionary Amish Electric Fireplaces aren't really Amish. :eek:

SDF_Traveler Feb 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp (Post 11299627)
So you're telling me the people in the ads for those Revolutionary Amish Electric Fireplaces aren't really Amish. :eek:

;) But you're not really buying the fireplace, you're buying the fine Amish woodwork, the fireplace is free. :eek:

Roy2CDG Feb 21, 2009 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler (Post 11299784)
;) But you're not really buying the fireplace, you're buying the fine Amish woodwork, the fireplace is free. :eek:

that's what the waterbed salesman told me... "you buy the bed and we'll throw in the water for FREE!" :mad: (unless he was planning to fill the waterbed with Evian, it's not really a deal)

BStrauss3 Feb 22, 2009 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Roy2CDG (Post 11298612)
The reason I'm wondernig is that Native Americans can use their tribal ID or document in lieu of US passport... is it the same for the Amish?

No.

Unlike the Native Americans (who were here before the rest of us, had functioning governments with whom the USA made treaties, etc.) the Amish are not a sovereign group and so don't have a 'tribal id'. They're just plain old American citizens.

kochleffel Feb 22, 2009 11:36 am

Originally Posted by mkt (Post 11298929)
Photography is allowed strictly for medicinal and for official purposes in which the government, and not by the amish themselves, keep the photograph.

Just to be clear, there is a statement in the U.S. passport that it is the property of the United States government.

GUWonder Feb 22, 2009 11:43 am

Originally Posted by kochleffel (Post 11301858)
Just to be clear, there is a statement in the U.S. passport that it is the property of the United States government.

Yes, but the photograph is the property of the person who paid for the photograph until the person willfully surrenders the photo to another party (i.e., the passport issuing authorities in this case).

dgwright99 Feb 22, 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by BStrauss3 (Post 11301711)
Unlike the Native Americans (who were here before the rest of us ......

By my reckoning, anybody who was "here before the rest of us" would be at least 233 years old - or 400 years old if you start counting from Jamestown.

Crazyace718 Feb 22, 2009 12:03 pm

You cant have it both ways. Anyone remember that Muslim woman who wanted to get her drivers license photo taken while wearing a face covering?

GITU Feb 22, 2009 1:50 pm

Interesting question. My guess is they can, but if it goes against their beliefs they either have to adapt or go without a passport. Most people will adapt. ; )

Flaflyer Feb 22, 2009 4:38 pm

WWPS: What Would PETA Say?

Originally Posted by Roy2CDG (Post 11298612)
If everyone will need a US passport to travel to/from Canada, does that include the Amish?

Even IF the Amish can produce a photo and get a passport, they cannot FLY to Canada, as the result of a lawsuit filed by some disgruntled Canadian citizens.

Seems they object to the overflights of those horse drawn 747s. . . :D