Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Removing Used/Expired Visa Stickers from Passport

Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S, AS, CX, Marriott Platinum, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle

I have been thinking about removing used full-page visa stickers from my passport to make room for stamps.

Any one done this?

Is this a very stupid idea? Thanks!

Last edited by jplus; Feb 9, 2009 at 11:06 am
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I wouldn't. If you need pages for stamps, send your passport back in.

US: http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/add/add_850.html

Canada: http://www.passportcanada.gc.ca/supp...ang=eng&id=301
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:12 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jplus
Is this a very stupid idea?
Yes.

Thanks!
My pleasure.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Bottom line: don't tamper with your passport. Ever.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Which brings up a related but slightly OT subject.

I am sure it is SSI top secret, but. . . Every ten years when you send in your PP for renewal, does/might the US State Department take that opportunity, before they void it and send it back for you to keep, to thumb through your pages of stamps and add them to your personal database so the computer can see if they match the airline tickets you have purchased and your customs recorded border crossings, etc.? Or see if you might have used foreign purchased air tickets or unrecorded cash travel like trains or busses to visit "countries of concern"?

[/remove tinfoil conspiracy hat]
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Countries when you apply for a visa stamp "visa applied for" in the space where the visa sticker will go. This lets immigration officers know if you have been rejected for the visa, because no visa will be placed over it.

In short baadd idea.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S, AS, CX, Marriott Platinum, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle
Thanks for the replies.
Guess I'll have to suck it up and go line up at the passport office (pages cannot be added to Canadian passports).
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Flaflyer

I am sure it is SSI top secret, but. . . Every ten years when you send in your PP for renewal, does/might the US State Department take that opportunity, before they void it and send it back for you to keep, to thumb through your pages of stamps and add them to your personal database so the computer can see if they match the airline tickets you have purchased and your customs recorded border crossings, etc.? Or see if you might have used foreign purchased air tickets or unrecorded cash travel like trains or busses to visit "countries of concern"?

No. You are giving these guys way too much credit.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:17 pm

I have been thinking about removing used full-page visa stickers from my passport to make room for stamps.

Any one done this?

Is this a very stupid idea? Thanks!
Tampering with a passport can land you in deep doo-doo.

Don't.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Actually this is fine to do in a pinch. There's no way anyone will tell if you don't damage the page below. It's perfect if you absolutely MUST travel and can't get the turnaround you need. Of course some of us are sentimental to our stickers, but if it's down to the wire, go for it.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Flaflyer

I believe they scan all your pages when you add pages. Not 100% certain though
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
It is unlawful under Title 18 USC Sec 1543 to alter or mutilate a U.S. Passport. Your passport belongs to the U.S. Government, not to you.

It says so right there on page 6 (emphasis mine):

"This passport may not be altered or mutilated in any way. Alteration may make it INVALID, and, if willful, may subject you to prosecution . . . Only authorized officials of the United States or of foreign countries, in connection with official matters, may place stamps or make statements, notations, or additions in this passport. You may amend or update personal information for your own convenience on page 7."

So, do NOT tamper with your passport.

(I would argue that this law also prohibits microwaving or pounding the new e-passports to disable the RFID chip, as some FTers have spoken about doing to reduce the risk of identity theft.)
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Thanks for the replies.
Guess I'll have to suck it up and go line up at the passport office (pages cannot be added to Canadian passports).
Make sure to get the 48 page version
Old Feb 11, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
There's no way anyone will tell if you don't damage the page below.
This would be the sticky part...figuratively and literally.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Actually this is fine to do in a pinch. There's no way anyone will tell if you don't damage the page below. It's perfect if you absolutely MUST travel and can't get the turnaround you need. Of course some of us are sentimental to our stickers, but if it's down to the wire, go for it.
While I understand the concerns others have raised, this advice is correct. It's better not to do it, get more pages when you can, so on and so forth, but there will not likely be any negative consequence as long as you are careful -- and of course honest in case you're ever asked about it. But realistically, peeling off a sticker or two is not a huge deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.