Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Just a follow up to my NEXUS/GE experience.

I had my interview this past Monday (July 19) at YVR. Spoke briefly with the American official and then with the Canadian official and waited about 2 minutes before having my irises scanned. Was in and out of the whole procedure in less than 15 minutes. (Oddly, they were all more interested in my rings on my fingers than anything else.)

Got back to the hotel and received an email about four hours later that my GOES status had changed. Logged in and I had been approved.

Got home yesterday from Seattle and found my NEXUS card waiting for me at home. Looks like it arrived in less than four days.

Applied about 15 minutes ago for GE and got an email about 5 minutes later saying my GOES status had changed again and - voila - had GE approval.

NEXUS and GE for $50.00. A bargain.

Good to hear! ^^

These memberships will more than pay for themselves within a year!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mre5765
Do you think a U.S. citizen born in Pakistan would have a significantly easier time?
How much of their life did they live in Pakistan?

(My guess is that someone who was US citizen--i.e., US parent--but spent most of life in Pakistan and then moved back to US in mid-life would likely have nearly the same amount of difficulty as the poster who raised the question, although probably less.)
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by Christian-SN
Any new information about Global Entry as an german citizen?

And is it right that you have to pay 100$ registration fee + 240€ if you register as a dutch citizen?
That is correct. As a Dutch citizen, you have to:

- Pay for GE (cheap)
- Be a Privium member (expensive)
- Pay your FLUX membership (rip-off)

However, the time savings in both AMS and arriving in the US are worth it to me.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Hi jiejie,

Yes, Dutch citizens, even non-US residents (and even not residing in the Netherlands) can get GE clearance (I know, since I have it). Germany and the UK seem to be the next countries that could sign reciprocal agreements with the US to allow their citizens to join GE.

So yes, citizens from low-risk countries are being cleared for GE.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Dutch, Canadian and Mexicans are only one with recip' agreements it is "only" for us citizens if you read the fine print. Even those with recipe' get them from home country.

Also someone mentioned "had clear". Totally different program
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:47 am

My Post on My Experience with Global Entry

I was accepted into Global Entry in April and in June I finally went through the process. I think it´s worth it, having had a really good experience. I wrote about the experience for my travel blog. Take a look if you´re interested. All the best. Jeff

http://careerbreaksecrets.com/2615/j...ogram-worth-it
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:48 pm

I had my interview this past Monday (July 19) at YVR. Spoke briefly with the American official and then with the Canadian official and waited about 2 minutes before having my irises scanned. Was in and out of the whole procedure in less than 15 minutes. (Oddly, they were all more interested in my rings on my fingers than anything else.)

Got back to the hotel and received an email about four hours later that my GOES status had changed. Logged in and I had been approved.

Got home yesterday from Seattle and found my NEXUS card waiting for me at home. Looks like it arrived in less than four days.

Applied about 15 minutes ago for GE and got an email about 5 minutes later saying my GOES status had changed again and - voila - had GE approval.

That's a very quick turnaround, i'm impressed. Looks like they have their stuff together.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K

If I recall correctly, those that apply for GE without Nexus get approved at their interview, and get a sticker put in their passport.

Did they mail you your GE sticker and have you place it yourself, or do you still need to make an appointment for them to do that part?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by VPescado

Did they mail you your GE sticker and have you place it yourself, or do you still need to make an appointment for them to do that part?
IME experience, no appointment necessary to get the sticker. Just show up with the letter approving your GE status.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
If I recall correctly, those that apply for GE without Nexus get approved at their interview, and get a sticker put in their passport.

No sticker. I was told I could get one next time I fly or go pick one up at a facility that has them.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
sorry, but I just couldnt read through all these posts. If this question has already been asked, I couldnt find it, so sorry.

With global entry, do you still get a stamp in your passport?

As a primary leisure overseas traveler, i always look forward to receiving the stamp of the country I visited in my PP. Its sort of like a souvineer of sorts.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
sorry, but I just couldnt read through all these posts. If this question has already been asked, I couldnt find it, so sorry.

With global entry, do you still get a stamp in your passport?

As a primary leisure overseas traveler, i always look forward to receiving the stamp of the country I visited in my PP. Its sort of like a souvineer of sorts.
I'd expect that you wouldn't get one for entering the US (especially if you are using a US passport. But they usually don't stamp them anyway. You would still get a stamp when you pass through passport control in other countries.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I'd expect that you wouldn't get one for entering the US (especially if you are using a US passport. But they usually don't stamp them anyway. You would still get a stamp when you pass through passport control in other countries.
very good point. who really cares about the U.S. stamp? Thanks for that info.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
After nary a US reentry stamp for years between '04 and early '09, I got stamps on arrival at JFK last Sept and at ORD this past April. So they may have started again, or it may well be random.

GE would definitely skip this, if you don't get an X.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA
No stamps for GE and I was really happy about that. My German passport has like 2 empty pages left and US was one of the worst offenders just wasting empty pages.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Can anyone explain why there are no GE kiosks for transborder returns from Canada? Kind of silly that I have to apply for NEXUS with Canadian approval (and pay extra $$) just so I can get the fast lane back to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.