FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa-738/)
-   -   Current passport card wait times (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/913749-current-passport-card-wait-times.html)

mkt Jan 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Current passport card wait times

I finally have a long stretch (a little over a month) in which I have absolutely no international travel whatsoever that necessitates a passport.

So I've decided now is the appropriate time to apply for a passport card.

For those who have done this, how long before you received your passport in the mail, and subsequently your passport card?

Thanks in advance :)

wb8iny Jan 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by mkt (Post 11130841)
I finally have a long stretch (a little over a month) in which I have absolutely no international travel whatsoever that necessitates a passport.

For those who have done this, how long before you received your passport in the mail, and subsequently your passport card?

Not sure about the card, but Mrs INY and son got their new passports back within two weeks when they renewed several months ago..... I was very pleasantly surprised!

ESpen36 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 pm

About 2 weeks to get the original passport back. It will arrive in a plain envelope, U.S. Mail, with one of the passport photos stapled to the signature page.

Could be 6-8 weeks for the passport card. Once your application is in the system, you can check the status online.

Ari Jan 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Processing for the Passport Card is caught up; it is about 2-3 weeks now from application to getting the card in the mail. (Datapoint from last week).

N830MH Jan 24, 2009 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 11132341)
Processing for the Passport Card is caught up; it is about 2-3 weeks now from application to getting the card in the mail. (Datapoint from last week).

Correct! It should be wait for renewal the passports into the mail is approximately 3 or 4 weeks. You always can check the passports status online. If your application is in process. So its should be wait for awhile until Passport Agency will sent you into emails but, it will be confirmed from your passports is ready to be sent.

Centurion210 Jan 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Keep in mind, you can't fly internationally on that card, even to Canada or Mexico or the Caribbean islands.

You can use the card to drive into the US from Canada or Mexico or on a cruise to the Caribbean.

Ari Jan 24, 2009 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion210 (Post 11134878)
Keep in mind, you can't fly internationally on that card, even to Canada or Mexico or the Caribbean islands.

You can use the card to drive into the US from Canada or Mexico or on a cruise to the Caribbean.

"Can't" is a strong word. "Should not" is more accure for Canada. I don't know about Mexico.

RonDace Jan 24, 2009 3:07 pm

Don't know about the card but I mailed in my passport for renewal 1/10 and received it by mail yesterday, 1/23. This is much faster than I thought. This was also not expedited.

morgan1929 Jan 24, 2009 8:35 pm

We applied for renewal on 12/31. Each of us received our new passports on 1/12. received our passport cards on 1/13. and our old passports arrived on 1/14.

mkt Jan 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion210 (Post 11134878)

oh, that's not a problem. I intend to use the card solely for trips to the BVI/BWI (the islands... not the airports ;) ) on pleasure craft.

My passport got wet last time I went to Tortola, and I had to wait on the vessel for it to dry until they'd let me in.

SQFreak Jan 25, 2009 3:46 pm

I'm kind of curious too; I have plenty of validity left on my passport, but I'd like a passport card (people doing age verification don't need to know my address and driver's license number) in addition. Is that what you're planning to do - keep your current passport, but get a passport card in addition?

mkt Jan 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by SQFreak (Post 11140332)
Is that what you're planning to do - keep your current passport, but get a passport card in addition?

basically... get the card in addition to the passport.

As it stands now, I have no confirmed international travel until April 3, but high probability of international travel on March 1, so I can be without a passport until then.

BogeyMan Jan 25, 2009 5:25 pm

I renewed my daughter's passport recently and it took less than 2 weeks (but this was a renewal).

The US Dept of State website gives current wait times for application processing http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...atus_2567.html

mkt Jan 26, 2009 8:39 am

quick update to this... my girlfriend just received hers... it took 12 days

ESpen36 Jan 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by SQFreak (Post 11140332)
I'm kind of curious too; I have plenty of validity left on my passport, but I'd like a passport card (people doing age verification don't need to know my address and driver's license number) in addition. Is that what you're planning to do - keep your current passport, but get a passport card in addition?

That's what many of us have done. You need a real passport book in order to travel internationally by air. However, if you have the passport book, it's only $20 to apply for the passport card. $20 for a 10-year govt-issued ID is an incredible deal!