Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Resident with no passport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
U.S. Resident with no passport

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. I have been clicking around the U.S. Immigration site and can't seem to obtain a concrete answer. A friend of mine, a U.S. resident with an expired Mexican passport, is planning on traveling to Mexico from LAX. Is a U.S. resident card + a dl sufficient to return to the states in lieu of a passport? Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
No - is he flying or driving? I think that still makes a difference, but generally I think they want the passport, esp if its flying.]
Old Aug 24, 2008, 6:08 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
They will want the passport.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends--if by 'resident card', you mean the I-551 for a Lawful Permanent Resident, that is sufficient for reentry to the US after an absence of less than one year (and, it appears from Timatic, to enter Mexico, but entering a country of citizenship with some other country's document is sometimes not appreciated).
" U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs), refugees, and asylees will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or other evidence of permanent resident status or refugee or asylee status to apply for entry into the United States."
http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacati...nts_needed.xml

As always, Timatic is a great place for info:
http://www.nwa.com/services/timatic.html
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:06 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Couldn't your friend just renew the Mexico passport?
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:48 pm

Here is a link:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html it was right on the first page of the us travel website.

However, as the previous poster stated, if your friend has a green card, he can still enter US.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:12 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
as a US permanent resident (green card holder) and someone without a passport from the native country (I left as a kid and never had a passport there) I can tell you with certainty that to re-enter the US by air you will also need a US re-entry permit in addition to the green card. I have had to show both after traveling home from Aruba and Saint Martin.

however, when crossing the border on foot/or by car... like I did in 2007 in Tijuana, only the green card or the re-entry permit can be shown. the border agent gave me a lecture on this after I walked into TJ for a few minutes and ended up standing in line for two hours to get back into the US.

--Russ
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerseyVics
as a US permanent resident (green card holder) and someone without a passport from the native country (I left as a kid and never had a passport there) I can tell you with certainty that to re-enter the US by air you will also need a US re-entry permit in addition to the green card. I have had to show both after traveling home from Aruba and Saint Martin.
You only need a reentry permit after extended absences from the US (I believe one year or more).
I'd sort of trust TAHKUCT's response, considering that he is a CBP agent.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by soitgoes
You only need a reentry permit after extended absences from the US (I believe one year or more).
I'm no Immigration expert, but the link TAHKUCT gave a link to suggests that if travelling by air, you need a passport or other valid travel document to re-enter US (my reading would be that green card is not enough)...

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

tb
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trueblu
I'm no Immigration expert, but the link TAHKUCT gave a link to suggests that if travelling by air, you need a passport or other valid travel document to re-enter US
A 'green card' is a type of 'other valid travel document'.

From the CBP:
Foreign nationals that are lawful permanent residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”, INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States. U.S. LPRs are not required by the U.S. to have a passport for travel, although most foreign destinations will require you to have one to enter their country. (LPRs that are out of the U.S. for more than 180 days are subject to new immigrant inspection procedures as per 8 USC 1101.)
http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs....hp?p_faqid=572
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: BA - Blue
thanks for the clarification..

tb
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Several variables here - OP's domicile (border town or inland, which border town, etc)?, which border will be crossed?, method of transport (bus, car, foot, air)? In general though, get a passport - it's less hassle all round.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by soitgoes
My trip to Aruba was 3 days long, the trip to Saint Martin was 4 days.

The reason they need the re-entry permit is to put an entry/exit stamp on.

They can't do this on a green card.

--Russ
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:00 pm

--Russ
You do not need a re-entry permit for trips for under 1 year:

"International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Also, here is an info on a Travel Document:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Aug 25, 2008, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

--Russ
They can't do this on a birth certificate (or even a driver's license) and for the longest time that is all US citizens needed to re-enter the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.