Wiki Posts
Search

Current passport card wait times

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:42 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by ESpen36
That's what many of us have done. You need a real passport book in order to travel internationally by air. However, if you have the passport book, it's only $20 to apply for the passport card. $20 for a 10-year govt-issued ID is an incredible deal!
Wow! I only have to pay the government $20 to prove to the government that I am I? What a fantastic deal!

OTOH, you are correct; it is a 'good deal'.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:04 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by ralfp
Wow! I only have to pay the government $20 to prove to the government that I am I? What a fantastic deal!

OTOH, you are correct; it is a 'good deal'.
no... to have an ID that proves to a bartender, server, retail employee, movie theatre usher, etc, that I am of age, without getting the Nth degree over my legitimate Puerto Rico drivers license that looks like it was made in a back alley, and is also easy to replace.

As well as one that will withstand splashes of saltwater when I head to the British Virgin Islands
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:31 pm

Did you all check your status online? It says it can take 7-10 days to be able to check your status online. My BF applied for his passport book on Jan 16 and it still doesn't show up on the website.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA Blue, US, UA, FL, B6
Originally Posted by mkt
no... to have an ID that proves to a bartender, server, retail employee, movie theatre usher, etc, that I am of age, without getting the Nth degree over my legitimate Puerto Rico drivers license that looks like it was made in a back alley, and is also easy to replace.
Exactly. I sometimes get asked for two forms of ID and for obvious reasons I don't like to carry my passport book with me. Well, I have a North Carolina driver's license, but no other government-issued photo ID. So no admission for me. Plus, nobody dares fake a passport, so I'm less likely to get denied admission for a fake ID. (I live in a college town. Fake IDs are rampant.)
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by SQFreak
Plus, nobody dares fake a passport, so I'm less likely to get denied admission for a fake ID. (I live in a college town. Fake IDs are rampant.)
Sounds like a market opportunity. Passports of my vintage (note to self: renew now) are pretty easy to forge, at least for bar entry purposes.

My scotch tape enhancement to the lamination (the passport still has a separate photo under the plastic) has been on the passport for years. Nobody has ever questioned it.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, US, UA, FL, B6
Originally Posted by ralfp
Sounds like a market opportunity. Passports of my vintage (note to self: renew now) are pretty easy to forge, at least for bar entry purposes.
First, forging a passport is a felony punishable by a minimum of 15 years in prison whereas at least in this state, forging a driver's license is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum of 18 months in prison.
But your point is well taken. What I really meant is that no college student would bother forging a passport or passport card, especially given the possibility of severe punishment involved.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by SQFreak
First, forging a passport is a felony punishable by a minimum of 15 years in prison whereas at least in this state, forging a driver's license is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum of 18 months in prison.
But your point is well taken. What I really meant is that no college student would bother forging a passport or passport card, especially given the possibility of severe punishment involved.
Somehow I doubt that college students are aware of the magnitude of the difference in punishments for forging a passport versus forging a driver's license.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:46 pm
mkt
Original Poster

and 6 days later, I just left the post office to drop the envelope.

Today's 29/Jan/2009... let's see how long before it's in my hands
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mkt
and 6 days later, I just left the post office to drop the envelope.

Today's 29/Jan/2009... let's see how long before it's in my hands
i renewed my passport back in november.......

11/13/08 (thurs): i renewed mine by mailing it from sf with f/c-certified-3 day delivery for $3.29 plus the $75.00 "short form renewal by mail fee" vs the $75 plus the in person "processing fee"
11/17/08 (mon): rec'd by the passport processing ctr in phl
12/3/08 arrived in my mailbox with an issue date of 11/28/08.

14 business days total: 2 days for my mailing it in, 9 days to process & issue from date of recpt (which included thanksgiving) and then 3 days to mail it back to me.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:18 am
mkt
Original Poster

so, sorry to bump this back to the top, but I do have a random question.

In my passport photos since becoming an adult, I've always worn business/biz-casual attire... ie, collared shirt.

I wore my England soccer jersey for this photo, and a friend of mine who just saw my extra photo on my desk mentioned that it'd likely be rejected.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I somewhat assumed that if my shirt weren't OK, the photographer would let me know.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Can you see any logos in the photo?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:17 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amejr999
Can you see any logos in the photo?
a half of the Umbro logo and the England shield, so yeah

However, my kid brothers passport has him wearing a Lost surfboards shirt and the logo is clear as day in his.

And I just checked the guidelines for photographers, and it makes no mention of logos on shirts.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
When I look at the photo in my passport, most of the photo that you submit seems to get cropped out. My previous passport I had a tie on and only a small part of the tie show. My last renewal I went in a casual shirt and the portion that shows is the same. If I were to take a guess it will be ok but if you are in a hurry for your passport take another picture. Costco has good prices.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:43 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by BogeyMan
When I look at the photo in my passport, most of the photo that you submit seems to get cropped out. My previous passport I had a tie on and only a small part of the tie show. My last renewal I went in a casual shirt and the portion that shows is the same. If I were to take a guess it will be ok but if you are in a hurry for your passport take another picture. Costco has good prices.
emphasis mine: as does walgreens-iirc, when i did it back in november it was just under $8.00 with tax (and they also have $-off coupon s every so often either in the store "flyer" or your sunday paper)
Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt
I wore my England soccer jersey for this photo, and a friend of mine who just saw my extra photo on my desk mentioned that it'd likely be rejected.
Seems okay, unless that's considered a "uniform". I just see it as civilian streetwear.
a) it's unlikely to show very much at all
b) the biggest thing to watch out for are things that would cover your face. If your face is fully visible, that should be okay

here are the official regulations re: attire for passport photos:
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86783.pdf
7 FAM APPENDIX E 1340 ATTIRE
(CT:CON-139; 05-24-2006)
a. Uniforms and Religious Attire: Photographs in a U.S. Armed Forces
uniform are not acceptable unless the applicant is applying for a
diplomatic, official or no-fee passport (22 CFR 51.25(b)). Uniforms of
other types, except for religious attire that is worn daily, are generally not
acceptable in passport photographs (22 CFR 51.25(c)). Reasonable
exceptions may be made for photographs taken in the uniform of a
civilian organization when it will aid in identification (e.g., a commercial
airline pilot who will be traveling abroad in uniform).
b. Hats or Other Headgear, Bandages: Hats or other headgear, such as
wide headbands or scarves, which completely obscure the hairline should
not be worn in passport photographs, unless the headgear is part of
religious attire which is worn daily. Headgear worn as religious attire
is acceptable as long as the face is not obscured. A signed statement
from the applicant regarding the religious nature and the daily use of the
headgear may be required in questionable cases. Photographs in which
applicants are wearing a thin headband, or sunglasses on the top of the
applicant’s head, are acceptable.
If bandages obscure the head or face, a medical statement must be
requested.
c. Dark Glasses: Tinted or dark glasses are not acceptable unless required
for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be requested in
questionable cases. Glare on eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s) is
unacceptable.
d. Accessories (Hearing Aids, Wigs, etc.): If prescription glasses, a
hearing device, wig, or similar article is normally and consistently worn, it
should be worn when the photograph is taken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.