FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Question about duty-free liquor and the TSA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/908435-question-about-duty-free-liquor-tsa.html)

amunoz Jan 10, 2009 9:19 am

Question about duty-free liquor and the TSA

Hi, I'm new to this website so I am sorry if this thread is in the incorrect forum, but I am in desperate need of help. I am flying from San Jose, Costa Rica to Chicago in a couple of days, with a 50 mins stopover in Dallas. I want to buy some licor at the duty free shops here in Costa Rica, however because of the stopover in dallas, I am afraid i'll loose it all once I go through customs and security. Is there a way where the airline helps me out by getting the stuff I buy from one gate to the next, while I go through customs or something? Or, should I simply scratch the whole idea of buying liquor at the duty free? I've been giving this some thought and have come up with the idea that I can buy it, put it in a bag and then check it all the way through, at the gate here in CR... Any friendly tips or advice?!! would appreciate it...

chumbawumba Jan 10, 2009 9:29 am

A warm welcome to FT, amunoz.

If you buy liquids in Duty Free and if they put it into a sealt bag, together with the receipt, you will not face any problem.

But still, 50 min are short and, more important, Duty Free might not be cheaper.

Cholula Jan 10, 2009 9:35 am

amunoz, welcome to Flyertalk and good luck on your trip.

Since this is related to customs, immigration and the TSA checkpoints, I'll switch this thread to our Travel Safety/Security forum where these matters are often discussed.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz! Co-Moderator

ralfp Jan 10, 2009 9:40 am

Originally Posted by chumbawumba (Post 11048679)
If you buy liquids in Duty Free and if they put it into a sealt bag, together with the receipt, you will not face any problem.

NO.

You will face problems trying to go through security when you connect unless you put the duty-free in a checked bag at the connection (Dallas). You get your checked bags after immigration and before customs. Put the duty free (carry on until Dallas) into a checked bag after customs but before you recheck it.

coachrowsey Jan 10, 2009 9:44 am

To the op welcome to FT. IMO 50 min connx no good if you want your stuff.

Capt. V Jan 10, 2009 9:48 am

ralpf is correct. The sealed bag rule applies in EU countries and NOT the US. It is not worth the effort both in terms of price and the hassle of repacking in checked luggage.

coachrowsey Jan 10, 2009 9:50 am

Trust me putting it into checked baggage not a good idea either.

oklAAhoma Jan 10, 2009 9:56 am

Originally Posted by amunoz (Post 11048630)
...because of the stopover in dallas, I am afraid i'll loose it all once I go through customs and security.

Yes. You will lose it if you try to take it as carryon.

Is there a way where the airline helps me out by getting the stuff I buy from one gate to the next, while I go through customs or something?

No. That won't happen.

...have come up with the idea that I can buy it, put it in a bag and then check it all the way through, at the gate here in CR...

No need to gate check it in CR. But you can check another bag - or add the duty free items to an already checked bag - after you go through customs at DFW.