Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Will an Aerosol explode in Checked Bags? TSA allow it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will an Aerosol explode in Checked Bags? TSA allow it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
Well, the aerosols in question have to be flammable, too. It's a matter of hazardous material.
As far as why they're okay, and those not sprayed onto the body aren't? They're not "okay." They'd still be flammable, they'd still be potentially dangerous. The difference comes, however, because TSA does want people to continue flying
So, yeah. Personal items are exempt from the flammability requirements of checked baggage. :P
Just thought I would add: you are correct. On the back of the 6oz spray sunscreen bottles:
FLAMMABLE: do not use near heat, flame or while smoking. Avoid long terms storage above 104 degrees F (40 deg. C).
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Hairspray makes a great torch. And great propellant for potato cannons. Or so I've heard.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
It must be a personality thing - I could not work for something I don't believe in wholeheartedly.
I couldn't do it full-time (it would drive me crazy!) but 20 hours a week, in the early-morning hours when I wouldn't be accomplishing anything useful anyway, is OK! ^

The rest of my life is spent pretty meaningfully, and my TSO paycheck helps to fund those endeavors. The compromise is acceptable!

CS19, I think the overall amount of aerosols is limited to something like 96 oz. I haven't worked in checked baggage for at least a year, so I'm a little fuzzy on the rules -- maybe one of the other TSOs can help me out here?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
3 weeks in paradise X2 people who reapply constantly (and rarely burn =
2-3 gallon size bags of the stuff. Yeah, maybe a little overkill, but a bottle of lotion + spray for each gear bag, variety of SPF's for different uses, spray runs out quick, etc. Not all spray, but lotions and such goes in the bag as well.

We do tend to split the bags up into 2 suitcases, unless mine is full and then takes all the stuff. When we come home, the extra room gets filled up with rum.

FYI- Banana Boat has a great aloe after-sun lotion. Really helps after all the sun/sand/surf, and smells good.

Enjoy the beach- I still have 120 days to go.....
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
And if you are not staying on the beach, you have a big chance of mosquitos. Hairspray rocks- "super hold" the wings and they drop.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by cs19
So the quantity limit on "personal items" relates to a single can size, like 18oz? Does that mean there is no overall limit? Pack as many aerosols as you want, as long as they are all personal items and under 18oz for each bottle? I'm not doing this, just curious now.
Originally Posted by OFTPYLTH
CS19, I think the overall amount of aerosols is limited to something like 96 oz. I haven't worked in checked baggage for at least a year, so I'm a little fuzzy on the rules -- maybe one of the other TSOs can help me out here?
I had to look this one up, because it's been so long since I went over it.

For checked baggage: There is no quantity limit for non-flammable personal items (to include non-flammable aerosols).

If the personal item is flammable, in the form of an aerosol such as hairspray, or a liquid like fingernail polish remover, then the capacity of the container may not exceed 18oz (.5kg) or 16 fl.oz. (470mL).

The total quantity of personal items that would otherwise be classified as hazardous material may not exceed 70oz (2kg) or 68 fl.oz. (2L).
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
It'd also make checkpoint operations a lot easier if carry-ons were eliminated and everyone was limited to what they could fit into a quart-sized baggie (and I don't mean for LGA, I mean, like, period. Keys, a cellphone, maybe a twinkie~).
No way in HELL. Since the TSA does not permit us to properly secure our luggage (I refuse to acknowledge those cheap-... TSA-Approved locks as valid locks, they are too damn easily broken). I am REQUIRED to travel domestically with my laptop in order to be functional at work. I have to have it in my possession in order to be functional while IN TRANSIT, in the event that a customer requires remote support. At present, ALL US-domestic airlines specifically state that laptops are NOT permitted or covered in checked luggage.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
No way in HELL. Since the TSA does not permit us to properly secure our luggage (I refuse to acknowledge those cheap-... TSA-Approved locks as valid locks, they are too damn easily broken). I am REQUIRED to travel domestically with my laptop in order to be functional at work. I have to have it in my possession in order to be functional while IN TRANSIT, in the event that a customer requires remote support. At present, ALL US-domestic airlines specifically state that laptops are NOT permitted or covered in checked luggage.
Since when has TSA cared about what airlines, Congress, or the people think?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: JAL, ANA
What about a "spare air?"

http://www.spareair.com/service/index.htm

I thought they were only allowed if the regulator was disconnected. Its ok for aerosols to be pressurized?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Before 9/11, I once carried some paint (touch up paint for a car) in a small aerosol can (think hobby shop paint cans if those are still sold) in carry on. I assumed the lower pressure in the cabin would cause a leak, and put the paint in a plastic jar and screwed the lid on tight. Sure enough, even though the jar was sealed tight, some paint did leak out of the can (but not the jar).

For checked bags, I would place any aerosols in a zip loc bag, and then inside a clear, shatter resistant jar, and hope that if the TSA does open your luggage, and leaves everything sealed.

Last edited by mre5765; Jan 6, 2009 at 10:17 am
Old Dec 12, 2010, 5:34 pm

Wink Whipped Lightning?

I had to look this one up, because it's been so long since I went over it.

For checked baggage: There is no quantity limit for non-flammable personal items (to include non-flammable aerosols).

If the personal item is flammable, in the form of an aerosol such as hairspray, or a liquid like fingernail polish remover, then the capacity of the container may not exceed 18oz (.5kg) or 16 fl.oz. (470mL).

The total quantity of personal items that would otherwise be classified as hazardous material may not exceed 70oz (2kg) or 68 fl.oz. (2L).
Bumping up an old thread...

How would this rule apply to Whipped Lightning, the infamous ~40-proof alcohol-infused whipped cream? It is an aerosol, most certainly flammable, and could be considered a personal item (for consumption and/or body adornment), so would I be able to pack up to 5 x 375ml bottles into my checked bag?

NB: this is not considered a food item as yet (not regulated by the FDA); in fact, the first listed ingredient is grain neutral spirits and the second is cream...

Last edited by JoshMyPickle; Dec 12, 2010 at 5:39 pm Reason: added NB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.