Wiki Posts
Search

PAX restrained with duct tape

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Delta Gold
PAX restrained with duct tape

(AP) An airline crew used duct tape to keep a passenger in her seat because they say she became unruly, fighting flight attendants and grabbing other passengers, forcing the flight to land in North Carolina.

Maria Esther Castillo of Oswego, N.Y., is due in court Thursday, charged with resisting arrest and interfering with the operations of a flight crew aboard United Airlines Flight 645, from Puerto Rico to Chicago.

Castillo, 45, struck a flight attendant on the buttocks with the back of her hand during Saturday's flight, FBI Special Agent Peter Carricato said in a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Charlotte. She also stood and fell onto the head of a blind passenger and later started pulling the person's hair, the complaint stated.

Ankle cuffs kept slipping off Castillo, so the flight crew and two passengers were forced to use duct tape to keep her in her seat, the complaint states.

She calmed as the pilot diverted the flight to Charlotte-Douglass International Airport, but became disruptive again when authorities boarded the plane to remove her, authorities said.

Carricato states that a passenger saw Castillo having drinks in an airport bar before boarding. She bought another drink on the plane. Flight attendants stopped serving her alcohol because of her behavior, the complaint states.

FBI spokeswoman Amy Thoreson on Wednesday declined to comment on the ongoing investigation.

Messages left seeking comment weren't immediately returned by Castillo's attorney, Julia Mimms, or by a representative of United.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by JimYUL
(AP) An airline crew used duct tape to keep a passenger in her seat because they say she became unruly, fighting flight attendants and grabbing other passengers, forcing the flight to land in North Carolina.

Maria Esther Castillo of Oswego, N.Y., is due in court Thursday, charged with resisting arrest and interfering with the operations of a flight crew aboard United Airlines Flight 645, from Puerto Rico to Chicago.

Castillo, 45, struck a flight attendant on the buttocks with the back of her hand during Saturday's flight, FBI Special Agent Peter Carricato said in a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Charlotte. She also stood and fell onto the head of a blind passenger and later started pulling the person's hair, the complaint stated.

Ankle cuffs kept slipping off Castillo, so the flight crew and two passengers were forced to use duct tape to keep her in her seat, the complaint states.

She calmed as the pilot diverted the flight to Charlotte-Douglass International Airport, but became disruptive again when authorities boarded the plane to remove her, authorities said.

Carricato states that a passenger saw Castillo having drinks in an airport bar before boarding. She bought another drink on the plane. Flight attendants stopped serving her alcohol because of her behavior, the complaint states.

FBI spokeswoman Amy Thoreson on Wednesday declined to comment on the ongoing investigation.

Messages left seeking comment weren't immediately returned by Castillo's attorney, Julia Mimms, or by a representative of United.
Old news, and well covered in United forum...
Old Nov 6, 2008, 5:16 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by wb8iny
Old news, and well covered in United forum...
Not old news if one never enters the United forum...

There's a United forum?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Duct tape? Man, that stuff does everything...

Mike
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:02 am

Duck tape, 1001 uses....make that 1002. Here are some other options,http://www.ducttapeguys.com/topten/index.html
Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by purpleskiesfly
Not old news if one never enters the United forum...

There's a United forum?
C'mon, that's a joke, right?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond BMI Silver
How come I never get to see any of these crazy flights?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by mikeef
Duct tape? Man, that stuff does everything...

Mike
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Delta Gold
Sorry guys, I didn't even know there was a Newsstands forum, and I even checked Travel/Saf/Sec to make sure it wasn't on here already before posting. My bad, thought I had put it in the logical place.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 5:35 pm

This is the first I heard of it, too funny!
Old Nov 6, 2008, 5:46 pm

Duct tape always does the job
Old Nov 7, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
I find it strange that zip-ties didn't hold.
(However, UA probably doesn't buy the same quality that law enforcement agencies do.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.