Search

YYZ Opt Out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:34 am
mkt
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
YYZ Opt Out

So, I've got a new regular destination for travels - YYZ.

What's the rules/procedures for opting out of NOS in Canada? Same as US? Will I be able to say "For medical reasons I can't assume the position" to get the regular WTMD?

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
There are three ways to not go through the full body scanner at Pearson.

1) Don't go to the USA. The machines are there because America demanded them. They are not used on non-USA flights as far as I know.

3) Don't set off the the WTMD. Usually the full body scan follows the WTMD going off.

2) Just say no. No excuse required. Opt out for a pat down. CATSA is a much nicer bunch of people than the TSA.

FWIW, I go into the USA often and do not recall going through the full body scan at YYZ but then I rarely set off the WTMD. Heck I can't even remember the last time I saw one of the units in use there.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010...ve_choice.html

To scan or not to scan?

That's the choice facing U.S.-bound passengers at Pearson International Airport as it rolls out Canada's first full-body scanner.

The high-tech scanner, which uses radio waves to peer beneath clothing to scan skin surfaces, was put into service Wednesday at Terminal One, said Mathieu Larocque, spokesman for the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority.

Passengers designated for secondary screening are offered the choice of a full-body scan or a pat-down.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I've always gotten a WTMD at Pearson. They have a few body scanners, but most lines don't have them and I don't remember seeing anyone go through them.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:37 pm

I had to opt-out one time time at YYZ. I was flying to KEF on Iceland Air. The security line had a randomizer matt and people selected to go through the doors to the right were sent to metal detectors and those sent to the doors to the left were sent to body scanners. This was not the part of the airports with flights to the US.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:06 am
mkt
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Well, my experience ended up being pretty straightforward.

I used Global Entry to go through CBP, and when I handed my slip of paper on the way out, they stamped my boarding pass with 'NEXUS', which allowed me to use the Nexus CATSA line, and I got through pretty quickly through a regular WTMD.

No need to opt out.

I showed up at the airport a full two hours, and ended up spending over an hour at duty free and drinking.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
YYZ is the worst airport to predict how long you'll get from curb to gate. I've gone from dropping off a rental car to being in the Maple Leaf lounge on the US-departures side in 20 minutes. It's taken as long as 2 hours. I would say it averages about 45 minutes, it's a wide variance of times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.