Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Article:No ID needed to board plane

In the Kansas City Star today 4/9/2008

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/567590.html

Good for him!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Read the comments.....I sure am glad I don't live in Kansas. This is the first article I've seen in a long, long time where the preponderance of the comments are pro-TSA.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Not too surprised by the comments thus far. Give it time, the balance with shift a bit.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 9, 2008 at 12:32 pm
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Later comments posted are more in line with the thinking here on FT.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I like this comment:

"For a country that makes such a big deal out of freedom and was supposedly founded on it, there sure are a lot of people posting here who don't seem to value it very much."

I gave that one a 5 star. ^
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I love the lines from the "GSC at MCI" who swears that the would deny boarding to anyone without ID as part of "enforcing DHS regulations."

I sure hope someone bothers to actually teach GSCs what the actual rules are, not just what the TSA wishes they were.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Superguy
I like this comment:

"For a country that makes such a big deal out of freedom and was supposedly founded on it, there sure are a lot of people posting here who don't seem to value it very much."

I gave that one a 5 star. ^
When will anyone stand up in the media and point out that checking ID does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for security?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
When will anyone stand up in the media and point out that checking ID does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for security?
I think that this article was a start in that direction. Here's hoping that more continue to pile on.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I think reporters and editors are finally twigging to the concerns we've voiced repeatedly since this forum's creation. We didn't see reports like this a few years ago.

The Gilmore ruling had a trickle down effect, the ramifications of which are just now reaching the consciousness of general news audiences.

Even mission creep doesn't start overnight. Citizens were long complacent about the quiet erosion of certain liberties for decades prior to 9/11, laying the groundwork for reckless power grabs that resulted sweeping cabinet-level reorganization and agency consolidation. Six+ years since the activating event, and it's now beginning to shake out how badly our elected officials have fumbled.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 9, 2008 at 1:53 pm
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Originally Posted by essxjay
The Gilmore ruling had a trickle down effect, the ramifications of which are just now reaching the consciousness of general news audiences.
We at The Identity Project have been acting as a clearing house of sorts on this issue, getting people with local roots (in this case, Mocek and Kansas City) together with solid local reporters. As an aside, The Star put this story on the front page of their print edition.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
I think that this article was a start in that direction. Here's hoping that more continue to pile on.

I wrote the reporter. Hope that helps.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I did see a few people mention that in their comments. Hopefully the reporter will realize that.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I lost my ID while on a business trip and was shocked to find how easy it was to get through security at three different airports. I'm glad I was able to board the plane, but couldn't terroists on the no fly list, just chose to NOT present the ID and get around the no fly list?
This was the first comment I saw. I almost cried.

Mike
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
This was the first comment I saw. I almost cried.
Makes me wonder what business he or she is in. Should be easy competition.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by sbm12
Saw your comments in there (unless there is another Wandering Aramean). Good points.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.