Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to turn off all electronic devices

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Time to turn off all electronic devices

Read with interest the thread on cheaters who are poaching E+ seats with increasing regularity & that reminded me of another pet peeve I see more and more - passengers blatantly disregarding the instructions to turn off iPod, cell phones, etc. during takeoff and landing. More and more FA's seem to just ignore the situation rather than confront the idiots. Was on a recent flight in seat 3C of a CRJ700 and both FA's ignored the very loud and continuous gameboy of the brat in row 4 both on the way up & again on the way down. Mom, of course, had her headphones blaring to drown out the little bundle of joy.

What do you do in these situations? My mouth and attitude is such that I'd probably run a good risk of starting an incident if I take the matter in to my own hands and say something. Do you call a FA after they've strapped in for takeoff/landing? It always annoys me when this happens, but don't know the best way to handle it. Thought or suggestions?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:18 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Starwood / Marriott Gold
One gameboy isn't going to take the plane down. I'd just let it go. I use (and I see several others that regularly use ) Bose headsets during this no-no period and 9.5/10 times a FA never says anything. I'm not blatant about it, and I think the people you describe were rude more than anything.

If someone is discreetly using an iPOD or headsets and not being blatant, I don't mind turning a blind eye to it.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by OHare
One gameboy isn't going to take the plane down. I'd just let it go. I use (and I see several others that regularly use ) Bose headsets during this no-no period and 9.5/10 times a FA never says anything. I'm not blatant about it, and I think the people you describe were rude more than anything.

If someone is discreetly using an iPOD or headsets and not being blatant, I don't mind turning a blind eye to it.
Hehe...I do the same OHare. Those Bose headsets are amazing. Do you have the QC2s or QC3s? I've got my QC2s on right now in fact

I know where the emergency exits are on the B752s....and the UA FAs never have cared about me listening to my iPod during take off.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:00 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
I know where the emergency exits are on the B752s....and the UA FAs never have cared about me listening to my iPod during take off.
I once got yelled at to 'turn off my ipod' while I was merely listening to Channel 9. (hard to tell where the wire is going from diff angles and attire).

Though I observe it, I think the whole electronic device rule is complete nonsense, as I posted on the pilot Q/A thread awhile back.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scott3460
What do you do in these situations?

Take a chill pill.

No, seriously, you really need to chill out on this. There is no scientific data that supports this ban. I NEVER turn my cell phone off and I have been on hundreds of flights, all of which have landed at the correct airport. If an ipod or gameboy sending out milliwatts of radiation are a problem then the 50,000 watt cell/radio/tv towers should be banned from 20 miles around all airports in the world.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:29 am

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
I always leave my QC3's in unless specifically asked to turn them off. Going by the rules it's okay to have iPod headphones, but I can't wear my QC3's? Stupid if you ask me.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:42 am

Programs: Lots
More and more FA's seem to just ignore the situation rather than confront the idiots.
[...]
Thought or suggestions?
Yes. Please ignore the idiot with nothing better to do than worry about what others are doing. Thanks ^
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:51 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
I've left my crackberry on for flights before, nothings happened. Once on a DL flight to ATL, a guy had his on and it was ringning during the descent into ATL.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:55 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Moving this to Travel Safety/Security.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:13 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
And then of course hearing aids are exempted.

Modern digital hearing aids are often capable of FM remote contol from a pocket or wristwatch remote, can receive an FM audio signal from said pocket remote, and a few communicate wirelessly between the right and left device.

So switching off portable electronics isn't likely to do much.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:30 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
My guess is the whole deal w/ cell phones so you don't have 100+ people in an aluminum can yelling "can you hear me now?" every 2 seconds. no one would get good reception, its loud enough in the cabin, and with everyone & their grandmother yapping away about what their neighbor/co-worker/co-worker's neighbor did, it would cause migraines & UA would have to pass out pain killers instead of warm nuts. What is one of my fav things about flying? Not hearing (or feeling re: my crackberry) a phone ring every minute.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:41 am

I have been paxing before and a passenger had been told to turn their phone off and pretended to until it rang during the safety demo.

Then as the aircraft was descending the FA sitting opposite heard his phone ring again and he answered it!!!

Now... how did she handle this situation?? CAA security met the aircraft and issued a $950 NZD infringement notice.

Dont risk it, its serious business. The airline doesnt make the LAW, the Civil Aviation Authorities do, and as Cabin Crew we are there to police it accordingly.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:42 am
Original Poster

OK, the people have spoken. Thank you. I always assumed there was a valid safety reason for the rule, and did not appreciate the people who disregarded it for their own selfish reasons. Your responses have given me a new perspective. Thanks.

Last edited by Cholula; Mar 26, 2008 at 11:17 am Reason: Edited out inflammatory comment.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
OK, the people have spoken. Thank you. I always assumed there was a valid safety reason for the rule, and did not appreciate the people who disregarded it for their own selfish reasons.
Yes, just another "trust your government" canard. Background primer: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-501431.html
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: American; United; Starwood
While there may be no safety issue, it is a rule and an announcemnent is made regarding such. However, ridiculous rules may be, if they exist people should follow them. If the rule is that stupid, work for constructive change. It is a sad state for society when people feel entitled to pick and choose which laws they want to follow. This specific topic maybe trivial, but the attitude has spread alarmingly, just read the newspaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.