Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first truly retaliatory TSA experience!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:42 am

And I do deal with them in a professional manner. But, I will be damned if I let some dude turn his nose up on me and attempt to walk all over simply because "I'm TSA", not because I've done something wrong with them. That was one reason I gave the example about the gentleman with the belt. I was polite, and went out of school so to speak, and told him this mag is really sensitive. Instead he bristles at this, ignores me, then makes me do additional work since he didn't want to cooperate. I'm going to take my time, see: thorough, about taking care of him.

This is like saying you'll never eat a xyz restaurant, because of poor service, no matter if it's three states away. You go to eat at xyz with some friends because they want too, and you simply bristle and growl at the waiters because these must be the same dicks who screwed you over in that other state.

What if you called a customer service line and they asked for your name and address? Would people give them attitude? "Why do you need this info? How is it being protected? I need it in triplicate before I answer". Eventually, the service person is gonna put your ... on hold and let someone else deal with it.

Just because customer service is part of job, and completely conflicting with the notion of security, everyone seems to think I'm the same dude who screwed them in Phili, DFW, Laguardia, where ever, despite being realistic and attempting to ease the screwing process with pax.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:45 am

honeytoes -
THIS was offensive to me because of her demeanor and because when I told her that it was not any of her business, she persisted. Why the hell would you have taken your sweet time wanding someone who was not falling over himself to answer your questions???? Does that make you feel like you have power? Your response that you would take your sweet time wanding me is simply childish.

I was going to comment that it sounds like the TSA are hiring apes to do the job of a TSO; however, I firmly believe that the apes would know better than to work for the TSA. Though if they did, they'd likely do a far better job than 99.99% of the humans who work there.

It also seems as if you and many of your co-workers could use a serious attitude adjustment -- especially in Philadelphia. Get over yourself, TSOs. You're nothing more than a bunch of glorified mall security guards. In fact, I'd be more likely to respect one of them than any one of you.
Someone gives attitude about answering simple questions at your job, and then needs you to finish something for them, I bet you'd be jumping ALL over it.

No, this job we have no authority, some of us realize that, it's the passengers who realize that, and then attempt to make noise about it, because we can't do anything. Most just go on their merry way.

Then you accuse me of being childish, then call me an ape. Very classy.

edit: Let me be clear, I think your retal was crap, but if someone was giving me grief in the pit, abuot something like that, yea, that's what I would do.

Last edited by Iworkhere; Mar 7, 2008 at 9:48 am Reason: wanted to clarify something
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Any customer service job requires thick skin because there are tons of a$$holes running around out there, some of us included. If you're not prepared to maintain your professionalism in the face of someone else's behavior, maybe you should vote with your feet on this one. No job is worth doing something you don't want to do. Keep yourself healthy.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:51 am

Wow, thanks for the lecture. I didn't know that.

edit: I love how people are just like, oh just quit, screw your bills and stuff, and go somewhere else. It's that easy!
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure of a data base...If you go to the TSA website and do a search on FSD and the airport, you should get the most recent press releases. They always do a press release when they name a new FSD. No phone numbers though.
If you have a name, you can try emailing if there's no phone number (or do both). The format is [email protected]. If the guy has a common name, you might have to do a .middleinitial. between the first & last names. Or, Bob might become Robert, etc. If it doesn't get kicked back, you'll know it got through.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:10 am
Cee

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
If you have a name, you can try emailing if there's no phone number (or do both). The format is [email protected]. If the guy has a common name, you might have to do a .middleinitial. between the first & last names. Or, Bob might become Robert, etc. If it doesn't get kicked back, you'll know it got through.
I can confirm that the email info given above is the correct format. I will also "guess" that for this particular person it is just firstname.lastname. No middle initials, or anything else. Just my (very good) "guess".
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Cee
I can confirm that the email info given above is the correct format. I will also "guess" that for this particular person it is just firstname.lastname. No middle initials, or anything else. Just my (very good) "guess".
Woops, missed that post. I agree with Cee ^
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:21 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
PHL, you gotta laugh or cry
I am not sure they give out the forms for anyone except over the age of 90 accompanied by both parents, ie they are very tight with them, even when I have smiled all the way through (through gritted teeth) and asked for a "compliment" form, I have been refused
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Iworkhere

edit: I love how people are just like, oh just quit, screw your bills and stuff, and go somewhere else. It's that easy!
It must be a really frustrating situation.

The reality you need to face is that the longer you work for the TSA, the worse this will look on your resume to potential employers.

You seem really sensible and honest. I wish I were in a position to offer you more meaningful employment. Too bad you don't have Omni access. Flyertalkers are good at giving advice about careers.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Expired ID's mostly, that's the bulk of them. A few crappy ID's where you don't even know who it is. A lot of expired PR Id's.
I'm sorry, but I just don't get this. How does an expired ID automatically equate into a heightened level of scrutiny that leads to a patdown? This is a tremendous waste of resources.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by vassilipan
I'm sorry, but I just don't get this. How does an expired ID automatically equate into a heightened level of scrutiny that leads to a patdown? This is a tremendous waste of resources.
No one hear would disagree with you. None of us understands, either.

The party line seems to be, "an expired ID is no longer an official government ID, and we require an official ID." The fact that it has nothing to do with security is irrelevant. There are a set of rules, and you need to follow them.

Mike
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Wirelessly posted (AT&T Tilt: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Originally Posted by mikeef
Originally Posted by vassilipan
No one hear would disagree with you. None of us understands, either.

The party line seems to be, "an expired ID is no longer an official government ID, and we require an official ID." The fact that it has nothing to do with security is irrelevant. There are a set of rules, and you need to follow them.

Mike
Not enirely true. An expired passport can often be used as ID and to verify citizenship. I know it's an option on some of the forms when you start a new job.

Additionally, MD wil accept an expired DL or passport (if less than 1 yr expired) for ID purposes when dealing w the state.

Last edited by Superguy; Mar 7, 2008 at 11:45 am
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:43 am

but if someone was giving me grief in the pit, abuot something like that, yea, that's what I would do.
Then quit. Because right there you say "It's ok to abuse my position if you annoy me."

Guys in my line of work that do that get fired.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Wirelessly posted (AT&T Tilt: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

And I do deal with them in a professional manner. But, I will be damned if I let some dude turn his nose up on me and attempt to walk all over simply because "I'm TSA", not because I've done something wrong with them. That was one reason I gave the example about the gentleman with the belt. I was polite, and went out of school so to speak, and told him this mag is really sensitive. Instead he bristles at this, ignores me, then makes me do additional work since he didn't want to cooperate. I'm going to take my time, see: thorough, about taking care of him.

This is like saying you'll never eat a xyz restaurant, because of poor service, no matter if it's three states away. You go to eat at xyz with some friends because they want too, and you simply bristle and growl at the waiters because these must be the same dicks who screwed you over in that other state.

What if you called a customer service line and they asked for your name and address? Would people give them attitude? "Why do you need this info? How is it being protected? I need it in triplicate before I answer". Eventually, the service person is gonna put your ... on hold and let someone else deal with it.

Just because customer service is part of job, and completely conflicting with the notion of security, everyone seems to think I'm the same dude who screwed them in Phili, DFW, Laguardia, where ever, despite being realistic and attempting to ease the screwing process with pax.
Sadly it's part of dealing witht the public. If someone's being a pr!ck I don't se the benefit of pising them off more. I'd rather have them out of my hair ASAP. Pissing them off more is only going to cause more trouble for you should they complain.

I think all of us have had to deal with that at some point in our lives.

There are always going to be people who act that way. It sucks but it goes with the territory.
I don't think anyone here is saying quit right nowif you hate it. However, a lot of people don't leave jobs they hate and keep complaining about it.

When a store asks me for my information, I ask them why they want it. A lot of times it's for marketing purposes. If they insist on carding me when I give my Visa, I tell them no. If they refuse to proces the card because I refuse, I report them to Visa and MC because it's a violation of the merchant agreement. I then either pay with another form of payment or leave.

I got into it with clerks at Best Buy over that. One said as I was leaving "I hope your card gets stolen." Needless to say, after I reported them to Visa and MC, I called the store manager and he was appalled, apologized profusely and said heZd deal with it.

So yes, I question almost every instance when showing my ID isn't required as a standard and industry established practice.

Super
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other

Sorry if you let yourself be offended. I don't know what your paygrade is, but looking at the TSA scale I can see there are tons of jobs available that pay similarly and don't require advanced training. My point was why would you subject yourself to the nosebleed when you can make similar money elsewhere? Now, if you enjoy the nosebleed, that's a different discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.