FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Can you take a live plant through security for a domestic flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/772370-can-you-take-live-plant-through-security-domestic-flight.html)

pbiflyer Dec 27, 2007 3:21 pm

Can you take a live plant through security for a domestic flight?

My MIL, while on vacation here, got a small rose bush for her brithday, from her not so forward thinking son.
When she flies back, can she get that through security. It is small enough to put in a carry on bag.
With all the wonderful TSA rules these days, I wasn't sure.

essxjay Dec 27, 2007 3:24 pm

Rose bushes should not be a problem.

kchoya Dec 27, 2007 3:35 pm

I guess it depends - does it have more than 3 oz of liquid in it? Those things can hold a lot of water.

PTravel Dec 27, 2007 3:47 pm

I would think that, as long as the plant has proper ID, it shouldn't be a problem. That is, unless TSA decides it doesn't pass the SPOT test ("I asked it where it was going, but it refused to answer!") ;)

uva185 Dec 27, 2007 4:39 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I brought a Bird of Paradise from SAN to DCA via CLT with no problems at all. I even refused to allow them to X-Ray it so they did the swab test ^

l etoile Dec 27, 2007 5:37 pm

I've carried plants back to CA from Portland. If there had been an ag inspection there I don't know that I would have been permitted to do so (in fact, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't have), but TSA is not ag.

Bobster Dec 27, 2007 10:41 pm

You absolutely need to cut the thorns off. I thought everybody knew that.

lobster7 Dec 27, 2007 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 8962065)
Rose bushes should not be a problem.

I don't know about that, those thorns could hurt someone!! They might make you put it in a plastic bag.:rolleyes:

whirledtraveler Dec 28, 2007 5:21 am

Can you take a live plant through security for a domestic flight?

I have seen screeners airside, if that's your question.

Georgia Peach Dec 28, 2007 10:40 pm

I brought a fig branch thru SMF in September. The cut end was wrapped in damp paper towels and a plastic bag, and the whole thing was in a larger bag. It was in the top of my carry on, and no one gave it a second look. As soon as I cleared security, I added enough water to keep it wet, but not dripping.

Gargoyle Dec 29, 2007 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach (Post 8968780)
I brought a fig branch thru SMF in September.

Not only not forbidden, but pretty soon it will be required. We'll all have to go through security wearing just a fig branch.

Katja Dec 29, 2007 3:57 pm

Some states do have ag inspections - California and Hawaii come to mind.

l etoile Dec 29, 2007 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Katja (Post 8971674)

I've never seen an ag inspection at a domestic terminal in CA. We've pretty much done away with the vehicle inspection stations now too.

I have had problems with plants and ag at international entry at CA airports.

bocastephen Dec 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Some airports in FL have bins where you "must" toss backyard citrus - any citrus not purchased from a store.

I've never seen anyone use the bins, nor would I be tossing any of the citrus products I plan on eating or giving as gifts. I know enough not to take Florida citrus into Arizona, California or Hawaii.

It's not within the TSA's authority to confiscate fruit, plants or other items or enforce agricultural restrictions.

mkt Dec 29, 2007 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Katja (Post 8971674)

I've never seen Ag inspections in California. In Puerto Rico, yes... at all commercial airports, but never in Ca.