Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

As a US citizen, what questions is Customs permitted to ask you on arrival in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As a US citizen, what questions is Customs permitted to ask you on arrival in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:13 am
Original Poster

If the immigration officers in JFK do not have the knowledge or technology to identify a forged passport then we might as well give up the game and stop pretending we have security.

But making a false claim that they impinge upon my constitutonal right to enter my own country is an utter and complete joke.

It isnt anybody's business why I wish to enter my own county - not even the INS. Being from the country is both reason and right in and of itself, Otherwise citizenship means nothing whatsoever..

Govt is supposed to serve the citizens of this country and we pay taxes for fund their services. At this point, the tail is wagging the dog here. Its not their right to demand justification as to why I should or can can enter the country - it is my country.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by osamede
Govt is supposed to serve the citizens of this country
What a gloriously naive notion.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by The Flyer
What a big contrast to EU passport control where I think it is actually forbidden to routinely ask EU citizens their reason for coming into the EU.
Freedom of movement and all..
Well, I am a UK citizen US permenent resident with a US citizen young daughter. I usually get hassled by EU immigration about the fact that I got my daughter a US passport, not an UK/EU one (technically, although she has is eligable for UK citizenship, she is not actually a UK citizen because she has not applied, and therefore ineligable for a UK passport).

Once they have annoyed me with that, for some reason "she is a citizen of the greatest country on earth, why the heck would she want a passport for any other country" seems to annoy them even more
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I am a US citizen who has been resident outside the US for five years. My 3.5 year-old passport is nearly filled with various entry and exit stamps and visas. When I enter the US anywhere other than New York (particularly Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas), I am generally asked probing questions by immigration officers who seem not to understand why a US citizen might choose to live outside the US. On my latest entry, the officer seemed not to grasp the concept at all:
Q: "What were you doing outside the US?"
A: "I live outside the US."
Q: "What do you do [for a living]?"
A: "I work as [profession]."
Q: "How long were you away?"
A: [choosing not to note the obvious logicical gap] "I was last in the US [date]."
Q: "Welcome home."

When entering the US in Dallas, I have discovered that if one can state the Dallas Cowboys score for the past two weeks, as well as the next opponent of the NFL team in one's city of destination, one is waved through with no further questions.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
He made a mistake asking you about the purpose of your visit. People do make mistakes. Why waste your energy on a philosophical battle that carries onto Internet message boards long after the incident happened? Best to just tell him you are visiting family for the holidays and forget about it. You will never see that agent again.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:50 pm

The overring question remains for me: if you facing are a US citizen, with the right to be in the US, what is the point of asking why you are entering your own country?
I think probably they just have a checklist of questions they have to ask.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by osamede
If the immigration officers in JFK do not have the knowledge or technology to identify a forged passport then we might as well give up the game and stop pretending we have security.

But making a false claim that they impinge upon my constitutonal right to enter my own country is an utter and complete joke.

It isnt anybody's business why I wish to enter my own county - not even the INS. Being from the country is both reason and right in and of itself, Otherwise citizenship means nothing whatsoever..

Govt is supposed to serve the citizens of this country and we pay taxes for fund their services. At this point, the tail is wagging the dog here. Its not their right to demand justification as to why I should or can can enter the country - it is my country.
They actually really don't care why you've come back to the states they care about how you react when your asked the question...
Cheers
Howie
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by G702TT
4Why waste your energy on a philosophical battle that carries onto Internet message boards long after the incident happened?
Out of curiosity?

Why presume that the OP thinks it's a waste of energy?
Old Dec 25, 2007, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
I don't know the law, but CBP does have very broad authority in searches that are beyond the realm of constitutionally protected rights and questioning, though they can't deny a US National from entering the country.

Exactly. Once, I asked an immigration officer why they don't generally stamp US passports unless you request it, and he said "because we don't have to 'admit' US citizens and residents--this is your home country."

I usually get no questions at all, but if any, I get "why were you outside the country?" or "what do you do for a living?" I don't think they really care what the answers are--they are watching body language, and how quickly we answer, and whether we get tripped up with a question...that kind of stuff.

Now, while US citizens/residents cannot be denied entry, they can be questioned and detained. When you are at a port of entry, legally you are not inside the USA yet. Therefore, you and your belongings can be searched without a warrant, you can be held without being charged, and you do not have the right to an attorney.

As with TSA insanity, I choose to answer the questions truthfully, in as few words as possible. In these days of "homeland security," making a stink on principle (about rights) will do nothing but delay you and possibly get you put on some kind of permanent secondary-search list for all future travel.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:51 pm

The officer can ASK most any question they want (within reason of course, ie-no probing into one's sex life, etc. ). The question is not can they ask, the question is - is one required to answer?

The answer to that is - it depends. Most US citizens don't need to answer much at the Immigration portion of arrivals. Its the Customs portion that's more pertinent. They may ask you though where did you visit, how long, etc. and always remember one can be secondaried and search for little to no cause at arrivals. Evasion or refusal to answer may be considered by the officer "this is taking too long - send to secondary."

Honestly, though, a cop asking, say, for permission to search your car is fine. He can ask and one can say yes or no. The question comes in is what is permissible absent consent.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by law dawg
The officer can ASK most any question they want (within reason of course, ie-no probing into one's sex life, etc. ). The question is not can they ask, the question is - is one required to answer?

The answer to that is - it depends. Most US citizens don't need to answer much at the Immigration portion of arrivals. Its the Customs portion that's more pertinent. They may ask you though where did you visit, how long, etc. and always remember one can be secondaried and search for little to no cause at arrivals. Evasion or refusal to answer may be considered by the officer "this is taking too long - send to secondary."

Honestly, though, a cop asking, say, for permission to search your car is fine. He can ask and one can say yes or no. The question comes in is what is permissible absent consent.
More or less, exactly.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
What a gloriously naive notion.
No I am not naive, just aware of what democracy actually is- and what my tax payment is actually for. You may want to ask yourself the same question, because that is how democracy goes down the drain.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:12 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Don't be so certain that a passport cannot be easily forged. All the would-be passport thief needs is anothers identity, and then a passport with their information but your picture can be fabricated.

People who traffic human beings thrive on doing things such as this.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:32 am

Immigration - most time than not it's "Welcome home". Few times it's just 1 or 2 questions, "how long have you been gone and where?" Never more than that.

Customs - most times I just breeze through but I have been send for secondary twice.
HNL coming from BKK through NRT. The agent actually did open my cases and took an x-ray of a wrapped up framed painting. I asked the nice lady agent to please don't tear apart the wrapping as I would have been screwed. I was still catching another flight to ORD. She didn't but had it x-rayed.
The DFW from NRT experience was different. After waiting in the secondary room for about an hour, the secondary agent just asked me few questions, marveled at all the stamps I had in my passport, told me that the officer collecting the forms made a mistake sending me for a secondary and never even looked at my luggage. Unfortunately I lost about an hour out of my 1.5 hour connection.

ORD customs approached me couple of times at the carousel and asked me few questions as I was waiting for my luggage.

In all the times I never experienced any rudness. Sometimes I did get a non-friendly agents, but nothing that I would categorize as being out of line. Most times it's just professional treatment and few times I actually had some quick, joking, smiling, very friendly exchanges with agents.

Stations through which I have entered US:
BOS, JFK, PIT, RDU, MIA, NAS, ORD, DFW, LAX, SFO, YVR, YYZ and 2 seaports, FLL and SFO
Old Dec 26, 2007, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by chalf
I am a US citizen who has been resident outside the US for five years. My 3.5 year-old passport is nearly filled with various entry and exit stamps and visas. When I enter the US anywhere other than New York (particularly Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas), I am generally asked probing questions by immigration officers who seem not to understand why a US citizen might choose to live outside the US. On my latest entry, the officer seemed not to grasp the concept at all:
Q: "What were you doing outside the US?"
A: "I live outside the US."
Q: "What do you do [for a living]?"
A: "I work as [profession]."
Q: "How long were you away?"
A: [choosing not to note the obvious logicical gap] "I was last in the US [date]."
Q: "Welcome home."

When entering the US in Dallas, I have discovered that if one can state the Dallas Cowboys score for the past two weeks, as well as the next opponent of the NFL team in one's city of destination, one is waved through with no further questions.

That is beyond outrageous -- discriminating amongst travellers based on their sports team loyalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.