Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internal US highway immigration checkpoints?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Internal US highway immigration checkpoints?

I haven't driven around the US-Mexico border much, but I was told that there are numerous immigration checkpoints on US highways that approach within 75 miles of the Mexico border (i.e. I-8 in California and Arizona). Has anyone experienced these checkpoints? Are passports necessary (even if one has no plans of crossing the Mexican border)? If so, how is this legal?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:24 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by mlbcard
I haven't driven around the US-Mexico border much, but I was told that there are numerous immigration checkpoints on US highways that approach within 75 miles of the Mexico border (i.e. I-8 in California and Arizona). Has anyone experienced these checkpoints? Are passports necessary (even if one has no plans of crossing the Mexican border)? If so, how is this legal?
Yes they are there.

I have gone through them about 40 times over the last 15 years.
All in Texas on IH-10, IH-35 and US-59 and US-277.
I have even driven through with multiple foreign nationals. Sometimes the driver has been asked for ID sometimes all in the vehicle. Once a UK citizen with me was asked for a passport. But once I said I had three Italians with me and we were told to procede. Once I was a driving a vehicle with Belize license plates and had to show a registration. Other times I have been waived through with out stopping, just slowing down.

Ciao,
FH
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Thanks, so do you think it is necessary to carry passports (and what if a passanger has no passport)? I'm thinking of a ride from San Diego to Phoenix.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:31 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I have only walked and driven from TJ to San Diego on the western most gates and did not see internal checkpoints, not sure where they are out in Cali. US citizens do not need a passport, though on occasion they ask for ID.
The first question is normally are you a US citizen. Often times a "yes" is enough and you are on your way. My Italians were not asked for ID, my Brit was, and all he had was student ID and passport so passport it was, but it was not specifically requested (It was at the border mind you).

Sorry I don't know any more specifics, those are just my experiances.

Ciao,
FH
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes, there are immigration checkpoints well inside the USA as you head north from the border. The same thing exists in Mexico once you get to the southern edge of the "border zone."

These checkpoints are mostly to make sure that you completed all of the steps necessary for entering the country with a vehicle. (And in Mexico, it can take hours and hours to stand in all of the lines and go to all of the right windows to get your car papers in order.)

I think the checkpoints are also a "buffer" to some extent, because many people cross back and forth across the border each day to shop or eat in the immediate border town, without going through immigration. If they want to proceed farther into the country, they need to report to immigration. The checkpoints just make sure that those who appear to be foreigners have actually gone through the formalities.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:41 pm

In the US the checkpoints will be generally pretty close to the border and will check northbound traffic only. It is an immigration checkpoint but there will usually be dogs trained to detect narcotics as well as hidden people. Southbound traffic is not checked.

In Mexico the checkpoints check going both north and southbound. Southbound checks immigration documents (you can go within generally 15 or so kilometers into Mexico without documents. To go further you need to get docs). Northbound traffic is checked for narcotics. Mexican checkpoints are also routinely staffed by military as well.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by law dawg
In the US the checkpoints will be generally pretty close to the border and will check northbound traffic only. It is an immigration checkpoint but there will usually be dogs trained to detect narcotics as well as hidden people. Southbound traffic is not checked.

In Mexico the checkpoints check going both north and southbound. Southbound checks immigration documents (you can go within generally 15 or so kilometers into Mexico without documents. To go further you need to get docs). Northbound traffic is checked for narcotics. Mexican checkpoints are also routinely staffed by military as well.
True, I have seen dogs about half the time at the internal US checkpoints.
A Mexican tourist card is needed to head south, or at least was when I drove to Belize in the late 90s. AFAIK the policy is still the same, tourist card for travel south of the frontera/border zone.

Sometimes one will have to pay the mordida/bribe at the Mexican northbound stations.

Ciao,
FH
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been stopped while driving in TX & NM at checkpoints within the US. Basically, for me (a brown skinned American citizen), it wasn't much of a hassle - they shined the light (both were late night) in my car, did a visual inspection, checked my drivers license, and let me on my way. My car wasn't tossed or searched in any way.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I've seen this driving south of Tucson, and mostly on the road to Nogales.

Although Nogales, Arizona and Nogales, Sonora are right next to one another, there is a very clear distinction and border crossing between them. One clearly crosses from the US into Mexico and vice versa. Most people park on the Arizona side and walk into Mexico through the border crossing station. There are no requirements to clear any kind of Mexican immigration walking into Nogales, Sonora from the Arizona border side. This is due in part to the status as a free trade zone. I didn't go far enough into Mexico to see any actual Mexican immigration checkpoints, if any.

Clearing immigration on foot is pretty easy for US citizens. Last time I crossed I just had to show ID and declare my nationality. Now it may be that you need a passport. But you should not need a passport driving on the US side and not attempting to drive into Mexico.

Last edited by etch5895; Nov 26, 2007 at 12:00 am Reason: Added Info
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:40 am

Saw one in Arizona... as soon as I started to answer the first question we were invited to go on our way...

I didn't THINK I had THAT much of an accent!!!
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
When did those internal immigration checkpoints begin?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:10 am

Programs: BA
I can remember these checks many years ago, riding round the southwest US in the early 1970s on Greyhound.

A couple of times at bus depots when boarding a bus. Also on the road the bus was stopped and everyone checked. So it's been going on for a long time.

I also remember a related sort of check, being stopped at certain state borders in the southwest at what LOOKED just just like a proper border post on the road, and all being asked if they had any fruit with them; if they did it was presumably confiscated, but nobody ever owned up to any so can't say what happened if so. Do these checkpoints still exist ?

Another feature of US highway travel is trucks being diverted into weight checkpoints. There seem more stops for checkpoints on US highways than there ever were in the worst days of Soviet Russia.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:07 am

yes, they are here in Socal, right on the San Diego County border (SD/OC on I5, SD/Riversdie on I15). They will also set up checkpoints on freeway exits near the main checkpoint.

These aren't as much document checkpoints as they are illegal immigration checkpoints. If you look like you don't belong here or your car's trunk is dragging on the ground, you'll be waved to stop and answer a few questions. Otherwise, they just wave you through before you can completely stop.

If you are a US citizen, you do not need your passport.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:21 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
The Border Patrol is legally empowered to check people within 100 miles of borders and the controls are nothing new. They are carried along the Mexican border as well as within range of Canada.

Before I became a citizen, several years ago, I was once stopped in Vermont and sternly reminded of my legal obligation to carry my green card with me at all times when I failed to produce it. When I mentioned I did not want to risk losing it or having it stolen, I was told "well, at least carry a copy", which makes sense. My driving licence was then taken for at least 15 minutes and returned by the officer who told me that the law provided for a fine and/or emprisonment for not carrying proof of status, though it was not usually enforced but could be "at any time".
Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:17 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
the officer who told me that the law provided for a fine and/or emprisonment for not carrying proof of status, though it was not usually enforced but could be "at any time".
Is this an official US requirement ? When I go swimming on the beach at Miami Beach I don't bring any documentation over from the hotel. How could I ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.