FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/747360-registered-traveler-fly-clear-merged-threads.html)

Rebigulator Oct 5, 2007 5:52 pm

Fly Clear and CO

ahhh...my first post after lurking forever LOL. Thanks to everyone for all the great tips and info. so far!

I am a Plat on CO trying to figure out if Fly Clear (the Clear Registered Travel Program, www.flyclear.com) is worth the money or not for someone who travels CO almost exclusively. The majority of my travel is EWR to SFO (10-12 RTs/year) with occasional trips to SEA, PDX, DFW, PHX, CMH, ORD -- I know that Fly Clear has not arrived at Term C yet at EWR, but it says that it is available at SFO. Well, I flew out of SFO this morning and saw nothing for Fly Clear...no blue cube, no separate lane, no enrollment station - was I missing something?

And, not only did I not see anything for Fly Clear at SFO, I blew through security in under 5 minutes using the Elite Access line (around 5am). Typical wait times for me at EWR have been 10-15 minutes.

Right now, I don't see any value..but if it did come to Term C at EWR (or if I could find it at SFO) and could truly reduce my wait time for security to just a couple of minutes every time vs. using the Elite Access line, maybe I'd change my mind.

Any thoughts or experiences or appreciated.

Xyzzy Oct 5, 2007 5:58 pm

Welcome to the world of posting :p

I did see a CLEAR setup of some kind when I last went through SFO a couple of weeks ago. That's all I can tell you about it at SFO.

Regarding CLEAR in general, you don't get much for your $100. Your wallet does get lightened, though. Have a look at the Travel Safety & Security forum for more information than you could ever want on the subject.

This topic really belongs in the above-mentioned TS&S forum, not in the Continental forum. Please continue to follow it in TS&S.

Xyzzy
CO forum moderator

mkt Oct 5, 2007 6:03 pm

I was a charter member of it, but dropped them once they couldn't guarantee me not getting an SSSS. They were quite nice about refunding me though

sfogate Oct 5, 2007 6:03 pm

FlyClear is available at SFO. There isn't a sign but it is located at the far right of the security lines. Instead of following the regular lines/ropes to the security check point, you would walk straight to the machine.

Although the security lines can be short at SFO, remember that Southwest is increasing their flights very shortly and they use the same check point as CO.

rkaradi Oct 6, 2007 12:30 am

I'm a United Premier Executive and enjoy the separate line for all the status travelers in terminal 3 at SFO (my home airport). I have use the Clear 2x in the last week at Term #3 and once at Term #1 where CO is located about three weeks ago. I do agree that the signage for where the line is is lacking, but I'm okay with that. As long as you know where to go (to the far right like the other post said), you're fine. Keep in mind that the program only started in SFO Sept 4 or so, so they are still working out the kinks in regards to signage.

On all three occasions, I have gone through the line in about 2-3minutes form start to finish. Way faster then any other line I've been through.
In fact, on the first trip, I dropped my wife off at the curb, she checked bags got in line for security (no status :( ), I drove to the remote long term lot, parked the car, took a shuttle back to the airport got out and went through clear and I still beat her by 5 minutes. It was a Thursday evening around 9 PM. Man was she steamed!!

Yes it's a lot of $$ but I do think if you travel a lot it is worth it. Also see if you can write it off as a business expense or get your company to pay for it, mine did thankfully

oneant Oct 6, 2007 2:38 am

Personally, I think CLEAR is a bunch of BS. Sure, you can get through the line sooner in some airports. But is just handing over your rights on a silver platter worth the cost?

This is what our gov't is best at these days. Acting as though certain things are law, when they're not. Then, once the vast majority buys into it and stops questioning, they make the unlawful lawful.

I STRONGLY urge everyone to reject CLEAR, and go about flying as usual.

Spiff Oct 6, 2007 5:36 am

Fly Clear or Extorted Traveler or whatever it's called is simple extortion. Hand over your money and information, Citizen, if you want to have a "normal" screening experience.

Rebigulator Oct 6, 2007 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by sfogate (Post 8516921)
FlyClear is available at SFO. There isn't a sign but it is located at the far right of the security lines. Instead of following the regular lines/ropes to the security check point, you would walk straight to the machine.

Although the security lines can be short at SFO, remember that Southwest is increasing their flights very shortly and they use the same check point as CO.

This makes no sense...I already use the line all the way to the right at SFO as a CO Elite (this is the designated elite lane for all airlines using the same concourse as CO)...must have been 100 people in the regular line yesterday, but not one in this lane and I was thru in under 20 seconds - had maybe 5-6 person wait at the x-ray machine.

Thanks anyway...this definitely looks like a no go at this point in time -- maybe down the road if any real benefit comes of it.

entropy Oct 6, 2007 6:08 pm

I am a Plat on CO trying to figure out if Fly Clear (the Clear Registered Travel Program, www.flyclear.com) is worth the money or not for someone who travels CO almost exclusively.
NO!

I'm a CO plat and fly out of SFO all the time. The elite line never has anyone in it as is. You then have to wait a couple of minutes as you unload your stuff into the bins.

Why pay $100 for a useless program?! Not to mention giving up whatever details you need to in order to be "approved" by them.

GUWonder Oct 6, 2007 6:19 pm

I pass on this nonsense even when they are giving it away for free.

benolaa Oct 17, 2007 3:44 pm

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear)

Did anyone discuss the registered traveler program at the DO? I for one would love to no longer have to take out my laptop and remove my shoes and with the way the elite line is at IAH a new system for frequent travelers needs to take effect.

entropy Oct 17, 2007 3:52 pm

oh you still have to do that... its just another "elite" line but you pay with $$$ and your privacy.
its a scam

rkkwan Oct 17, 2007 3:55 pm

I wasn't familiar with the program, but it was raised at the 2nd "Hub Airports" panel session. My impression of the answer is that TSA basically screwed the airlines and the passengers who participated in it; so CO no longer offer this. It'd be stupid for someone to go through all the trouble to sign up, but still get harassed by TSA like everybody else.

Lurker1999 Oct 17, 2007 4:01 pm

You simply go to the "front" of the line. You get the same screening with shoes off, electronics out, etc. The only possible benefit I could see would be if the elite security line were very long and the "clear" line was shorter.

ssullivan Oct 17, 2007 4:44 pm

No wonder it's offered at so few airports.