Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by perezoso
Boycott Clear. It'll only make things worse.
Care to expand on that thought?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Care to expand on that thought?
It's extortion. "Security" sets up stupid hoops you must jump through for no good reason, then Clear extorts money from you to avoid them. Not a game you can win.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: CO-Silver, Hertz, Marriott Silver, Hilton
The local news said it will be located near Southwest and officials are still evaluating a location for Terminal 1.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by thor17
There's a Washington Post article today about IAD and DCA awarding a contract for this yesterday:

LINK
With this little tidbit..

Originally Posted by WaPo
The airport authority will receive a $500,000 minimum total annual payment from Verified to operate at the airports, Hamilton said.
This is a big reason that many airports want to eliminate the elite lines. And once Clear gets pervasive at airports, they can use elimination of elite lines as a sales point.... because it will allow folks who pay up to get special treatment at other places.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I wouldn't call it extortion, any more than allowing hybrids to drive in the carpool lanes forces me to buy a hybrid. I probably spend 10 hours a year waiting in line at OAK, so paying $100 or so to cut that by 75% would be entirely reasonable.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: WN CP
Clear spares you only the line.

It is simply wrong that billions upon billions of our tax dollars fund the workfare program that is the TSA, but a citizen must expend an additonal $128 for just a smidgen of the efficiency that we all should be enjoying now given what we collectively pay.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Clear or unclear, keep in mind that you can go through either T1 (everyone but Southwest) or T2 (Southwest) security, regardless of where your gate is. This can easily save you 20-30 minutes at peak times.

If you face a really long line at one terminal, do a quick jog over to the other to see if you can save some time. In my experience, T1 follows a business traveller pattern, with heavy traffic in the morning and a big drop off after that. T2 has more of a leisure pattern, with hoards of people on Friday and Sunday afternoons.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
WOW! I'll finally be able to book flights from OAK again. The morning madness was so awful at both terminals I have avoided it for about a year. I use it at SFO and SJC. It works great. I can get up forty minutes before my flight boards out of SJC, shower, drive to the airport, park, clear security, and still have time to read the paper before boarding begins.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Clear spares you only the line.

It is simply wrong that billions upon billions of our tax dollars fund the workfare program that is the TSA, but a citizen must expend an additonal $128 for just a smidgen of the efficiency that we all should be enjoying now given what we collectively pay.
Hear, hear! Looked recently at the itemized fees on a ticket? The case could be made that we're already paying more than the Clear membership fee annually for an efficient, as well as effective, service. And as curbcrusher says about "workfare", why do we have to have the redundancy of the (non-TSA) ticket tickers at security?

"On the other hand", FYI, since OAK's kluge hasn't materially changed yet: Hyatt Gold Passport has a running promotion to join Clear free for a year. I don't remember if it's targetted. I'll try to find the link, but for those intrested, there's a thread about it on the Gold Passport board.

On the other hand again, there was an article in USA Today a couple of weeks ago, saying that there's been a very low uptake (enrollment) with a parallel program that has a more generic name. Price and the fact that most people in the bull's eye already have elite lines were cited as the reasons. (No mention of Clear, per se.)

Perhaps Clear should co-market with Southwest instead of Hyatt?

Last edited by Firewind; Jan 17, 2008 at 11:53 pm
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
This should make the elite line even shorter at Dulles.

At Reagan, its probably more valuable since they have been pretty poor about elite line enforcement.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
It is simply wrong that billions upon billions of our tax dollars fund the workfare program that is the TSA
$3.7 Billion for aviation screening in 2007.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:14 am

Correct. They offer a free year of Clear to their upper elite members--Diamond and possibly Platinum also.

Originally Posted by Firewind
"On the other hand", FYI, since OAK's kluge hasn't materially changed yet: Hyatt Gold Passport has a running promotion to join Clear free for a year. I don't remember if it's targetted. I'll try to find the link, but for those intrested, there's a thread about it on the Gold Passport board.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:24 am
cxn

I have no problems with Clear. I am also ok with the Hybrid/CNG Car Pool lane use.

For those of us who have paid, it clearly is worth the $$ spent. I can arrive at the airport in SJC 30 mins before my flight and still make it. This is because they put you at the very start of the line, only 1 person or so in front of you.

Of course, if too many people start using this service, it *might* backup. But for now, Thank you CLEAR for going to OAK!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by LarryJ
$3.7 Billion for aviation screening in 2007.
And over $20B in the preceding five years. Billions upon billions.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Article in the Washington Post states that Clear has contracted with the folks that run DCA and IAD. There is a guaranteed payment from Clear to the Airport Authority in excess of $500,000 per year.

By the time they pay that, plus the screening fees, plus the people to run the lines, they've got to have a LOT of people signed up. And the only real way to do that is to make the other lines unbearable. The airport authority now has a vested interest in eliminating elite lines and slowing down performance of the main lines to make people want to go with Clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.