FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Wet Wipes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/732564-wet-wipes.html)

Finite Elephant Sep 4, 2007 12:14 pm

Wet Wipes?

Has anyone been stopped for having wet wipes ("pre-moistened towelettes") in carry-on? TSA's website doesn't specifically address them.

I'm going to be traveling with a toddler in a few weeks and need them in-flight for diaper changes. Last time I flew with Little Elephant was during the chaos of the Outright Liquids Ban in the US when his presence, plus the judicious application of the Harried New Father Look was enough to get wet wipes, lotions, sanitizer, water, formula, and gel-filled teething toys through security without comment. To their credit, TSA did run his car seat through the X-ray machine twice. :rolleyes:

This time I'm banking on being able to do the same, but wondered if anyone else had any recent experiences.

gobluetwo Sep 4, 2007 12:18 pm

never had an issue with wipes. my wife would carry around sanitary wipes for the tray tables/armrests/seatbacks and baby wipes for diaper changes. we were also able to take through all her food (apple sauce, juice, pureed veggies, and even those little microwave gerber toddler meal packs when she got a little older - BK or any other fast food joint will heat it up for you), although we did get the business once about her nursery water.

OxyChaz Sep 4, 2007 12:18 pm

You're fine

I carry them with me all the time and it's never a problem. You're good to go!

Finite Elephant Sep 4, 2007 12:21 pm

Thanks all!

nimeta Sep 4, 2007 12:23 pm

Got stopped recently for the kids carrying play-doh in their bag!! A very suspicious Eastern European guard had obviously never seen this strange smelling stuff!! :)

Never had problems with wipes though!!

jonesing Sep 4, 2007 3:11 pm

Too funny...we just took a trip to Vegas and LittleJ's 6 cannisters of Play-dough got nary a bleep from the scanners. Nor did his diaper bag/backpack which was chock a block full of juice bottles, liquid ibuprofen, ointments, gels and other things that go squish cause any sort of delay or extra inspection.

Yaatri Sep 4, 2007 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Finite Elephant (Post 8347358)
Has anyone been stopped for having wet wipes ("pre-moistened towelettes") in carry-on? TSA's website doesn't specifically address them.

I'm going to be traveling with a toddler in a few weeks and need them in-flight for diaper changes. Last time I flew with Little Elephant was during the chaos of the Outright Liquids Ban in the US when his presence, plus the judicious application of the Harried New Father Look was enough to get wet wipes, lotions, sanitizer, water, formula, and gel-filled teething toys through security without comment. To their credit, TSA did run his car seat through the X-ray machine twice. :rolleyes:

This time I'm banking on being able to do the same, but wondered if anyone else had any recent experiences.

Do they contain more tha 3.5 ounces of liquid? :D

My wife carries them in her carry on all the time. We use them for cleaning our hands after eating something that has to be eaten with hands. We have never had a problem

horse glasses Sep 4, 2007 3:46 pm

I wondered this too but I recently carried them on a few weeks ago (I use them to take my makeup off). I just got a travel pack of them and put them in the baggie to be safe and it was fine.

VelvetKennedy Sep 4, 2007 9:22 pm

I've been told they're okay by TSA agents. Also, CNN reported that they were okay about a month ago. I carry lots of them and have never even been stopped for them.

Kiwi Flyer Sep 4, 2007 11:40 pm

I've had lots in my bag ever since the liquid nonsense started. Never been even a hint of a problem.

whirledtraveler Sep 5, 2007 12:14 am

You shouldn't have a problem, but you should cover the word "wet" on the package just to be careful. :p

HeHateY Sep 5, 2007 12:46 pm

Just in case the TSACowardlyGoons steal your main supply, have some individually wrapped ones stashed in various places in your carry on.

I haven't had any problems, but I never put anything past the Schizophrenic "organization" that is Guatlier Chertoff's TSA, especially if you fly from one of the contract stations like SFO.

tazi Sep 6, 2007 1:27 pm

I don't know. If they have a problem with lubricated condoms, wet naps might be considered dangerous as well. :D

tazi Sep 6, 2007 1:29 pm

I don't know. If they have a problem with lubricated condoms, wet naps might be considered dangerous as well. :eek: