FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Hygiene: Can I request not to take my shoes off? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/718002-hygiene-can-i-request-not-take-my-shoes-off.html)

nigelloring Jul 24, 2007 7:36 pm

Hygiene: Can I request not to take my shoes off?

The thought of walking over that filthy floor in my socks is horrible. Plus, I have a plantar wart on the bottom of one of my feet, although it'd be covered by the socks.

While we're on the subject, is there any way to avoid putting my expensive suit jacket into that disgusting, never-cleaned gray box which everyone's shoes have been in?

PHLflying Jul 24, 2007 7:47 pm

I too find the shoe take off thing disgusting. I haven't raised much of a fuss about it, though I do mumble how gross it is while waiting for them to come out of the x ray.

I tend to take them off at the very last second, I don't take them off well far back in the line like the sheeple.

Also, if the xray is far from the wtmd, I do sometimes mention this is disgusting to the TSO, in a nice way. The more they get the message, the more the slight possibility this unsanitary practice will end.

party_boy Jul 24, 2007 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by PHLflying (Post 8113742)

I tend to take them off at the very last second, I don't take them off well far back in the line like the sheeple.

Also, if the xray is far from the wtmd, I do sometimes mention this is disgusting to the TSO, in a nice way. The more they get the message, the more the slight possibility this unsanitary practice will end.

The TSO's are just sheep too. We should make KH take off his shoes and walk around in the filth he calls airport security.

LLM Jul 24, 2007 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by nigelloring (Post 8113699)
While we're on the subject, is there any way to avoid putting my expensive suit jacket into that disgusting, never-cleaned gray box which everyone's shoes have been in?

Last time I brought paper towels to put on the bottom of the bin. Or you could bring a large plastic bag to protect it.

Superguy Jul 24, 2007 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by party_boy (Post 8113761)
The TSO's are just sheep too. We should make KH take off his shoes and walk around in the filth he calls airport security.

If you ask Spiff, Kippie is filth. He'd make the airport floor even worse.

nigelloring Jul 24, 2007 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by LLM (Post 8113775)
Or you could bring a large plastic bag to protect it.

Good idea.

Daringdoo Jul 24, 2007 9:40 pm

Will the screeners allow little blue paper booties for the feet - like the ones you sometimes see at 'Open-houses' or at hospitals? Maybe that would satisfy OPs footwear issue.

DD

mdsimants Jul 24, 2007 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Daringdoo (Post 8114348)
Will the screeners allow little blue paper booties for the feet - like the ones you sometimes see at 'Open-houses' or at hospitals? Maybe that would satisfy OPs footwear issue.

DD

They are provided in the security line at Little Rock.

Confederate Hokie Jul 24, 2007 10:08 pm

DD

I buy them on e-bay. Kinda funny since I sell Medical equipment :p Usually get them in lots of 24-50, and carry at least 4 pairs in my backpack on every trip. I refuse to walk thru airports barefoot. I get a few strange looks, but then I hear quite a few "why didn't we think of that?"

Originally Posted by LLM (Post 8113775)
Last time I brought paper towels to put on the bottom of the bin. Or you could bring a large plastic bag to protect it.

Sure enough, one of the TSA would tell you it's not allowed since it's over 1 qt.....:td:

Safe travels
Tim

Telfes Jul 25, 2007 12:09 am

The "temple socks" I used in SE Asia are now my "(in)security socks." Just can't do summer/sandal weather without them. If you see someone dancing around on one foot putting on socks as she approaches the belt, that would likely be me.

n5667 Jul 25, 2007 12:10 am

Originally Posted by PHLflying (Post 8113742)
I too find the shoe take off thing disgusting. I haven't raised much of a fuss about it, though I do mumble how gross it is while waiting for them to come out of the x ray.

I always remind the passenger that they're about to spend several hours in a tin can with several hundred other people breathing in recirculated oxygen... ;)

bhd87 Jul 25, 2007 12:18 am

Originally Posted by n5667 (Post 8114868)
I always remind the passenger that they're about to spend several hours in a tin can with several hundred other people breathing in recirculated oxygen... ;)

It's really only 50% recirculated. ;)

LLM Jul 25, 2007 12:52 am

I've brought those, too. Just be careful taking them off after they have touched that foul floor.

doober Jul 25, 2007 5:18 am

Originally Posted by nigelloring (Post 8113699)
The thought of walking over that filthy floor in my socks is horrible. Plus, I have a plantar wart on the bottom of one of my feet, although it'd be covered by the socks.

Providing that you are wearing a substantial pair of shoes and not loafers or flip-flops, just tell them you have orthopedic shoes and can't take them off. You'll have to get them swabbed but they can't force you to remove them NOR require you to explain the reason for wearing "orthopedic" shoes. Works for me.

iluv2fly Jul 25, 2007 5:38 am

Originally Posted by doober (Post 8115508)
Providing that you are wearing a substantial pair of shoes and not loafers or flip-flops, just tell them you have orthopedic shoes and can't take them off. You'll have to get them swabbed but they can't force you to remove them NOR require you to explain the reason for wearing "orthopedic" shoes. Works for me.

A big DITTO here.