Wiki Posts
Search

Caught with a gun at DTW, no problem!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2007, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Caught with a gun at DTW, no problem!

A judge gets caught with a gun, of course she "forgot it," but goes on to her flight.

No double-standard here!

Old Aug 2, 2007, 3:14 pm

We allow people on the plane all the time after confiscating various items - including guns and narcotics...

The police come by, write up a report, and decide whether or not to release or detain, not the TSA.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 3:28 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by n5667
We allow people on the plane all the time after confiscating various items - including guns and narcotics...

The police come by, write up a report, and decide whether or not to release or detain, not the TSA.
The LEOs involved clearly have double-standards. Charges and an arrest may be made for Joe Q. Public, but for the judge here, and various others over time, those actions weren't taken.

I do suspect the TSA will nail the judge with a fine, though, regardless of whether or not the LEOs took any action. Or will they see that the LEOs did nothing as reason not to hit the judge with the kangaroo court "administrative" fees?
Old Aug 2, 2007, 3:45 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guns and narcotics are two very different things when it comes to airport security. Why call over the police when narcotics are found? Maybe if there are large bricks of coke or mj, but for "personal use" it seems like a lot more paperwork than it is worth.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Shucks, they probably figured that the positive benefits of a gun departing Detroit outweighed any reasons to confiscate it.... On the other hand, given the well-developed potential for Detroiters to shoot each other at a rate much greater than elsewhere, letting aDetroiter, even a Judge, out of town with a gun is like unto a license for the export of mayhem.

"There go the Judge!"
Old Aug 2, 2007, 4:40 pm

Meanwhile, someone has managed to get himself arrested at Logan for carrying a loaded .38 handgun in his briefcase: http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...sted_at_logan/

He doesn't have a permit to carry the weapon and said he had forgotten the gun was there. A Mass Port Authority spokesman quipped, "If you are dumb enough to take a gun in your carry-on, we're smart enough to find it."

Makes me feel all warm and secure: Not only do people walk around airports with loaded guns, some of them forget where they put the things.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Guns and narcotics are two very different things when it comes to airport security. Why call over the police when narcotics are found? Maybe if there are large bricks of coke or mj, but for "personal use" it seems like a lot more paperwork than it is worth.
Not for us, it becomes a matter for the police - and why call the police? Because that's what we're told to do.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by justcorbly
Makes me feel all warm and secure: Not only do people walk around airports with loaded guns, some of them forget where they put the things.
Until they remember where it is, they can't use it. Dumb people should make you feel safer.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Until they remember where it is, they can't use it. Dumb people should make you feel safer.
Just the opposite, because someone else can find the gun.

Why would your run-of-the-mill businessman be so scared he needed to carry a loaded weapon in his briefcase?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:31 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
so does the tsa put this up on their website to toot thier own horn along with "hey look, we caught a meth smuggler" or "hey look we stopped a kidnapping"? <sacrasm intended and not implied>

what a big ........ double standard as you sure a sh*t wont' ever see it! just like you'll never see the tsa post "gee, we're sorry but we didn't follow our own procedures at san where we not only lost a detained bag we had in our posession but also the pax who owned the bag who was then able to pick up said bag and proceed to their flight thus causing a termnal dump.

Last edited by goalie; Aug 4, 2007 at 10:50 am
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
so does the tsa put this up on their website to toot thier own horn along with "hey look, we caught a meth smuggler" or "hey look we stopped a kidnapping"?
Actually, yes. Take a look at the front page of the TSA website. They're beating their chest about more and more "catches."
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LessO2
Actually, yes. Take a look at the front page of the TSA website. They're beating their chest about more and more "catches."
my bad as i know that the tsa toots their own horn but not enough coffee for me this am. i modifed my post "just a bit"
Old Aug 4, 2007, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Ari
I can't wait for the responses from the "ruhles is ruhles" crowd.

[...] and why call the police? Because that's what we're told to do.
There are times to tattle and times not to tattle. @:-)

Originally Posted by LessO2
Take a look at the front page of the TSA website. They're beating their chest about more and more "catches."
I just surfed to tsa.dhs.gov, but nothing jumps out. Details?? (Or are you talking about last week's news nugget, read: intelligence bulletin, involving cheese bricks and the like?)'
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:36 pm

There are times to tattle and times not to tattle.
Yes, and when you work in a public area, surrounded by coworkers, and monitored by cameras...
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Yes, and when you work in a public area, surrounded by coworkers, and monitored by cameras...
Perhaps my point was not clear: sometimes it's better to do the right thing even in the face of popular opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.