TSA VIPR Program Attacks South Florida

Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
TSA VIPR Program Attacks South Florida

The ridiculous program, known as VIPR (Visual Intermodal Protection and Response) was tried out in South Florida this morning. It appears that dozens (if not more) of TSA screeners, FAMs, and ICE descended on the Tri-Rail commuter train, with some of them watching the stations and others riding the train and getting off at the various airport stations. No word on any interactions with, or conflicts with train passengers or attempted screenings/searches.

Not only was this a colossal waste of time and money, it's evidence of additional mission creep by the TSA - at a time when they can't even master their original mission with even a slight degree of competence.

Here is the propaganda release triumphing the program:
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/vipr_cities.shtm
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
But it's got a really cool name.

Congrats on lucky 7,000!

Mike
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: AA plt
At least they gave the Tri-Fail a boost in ridership numbers this month. A few months ago Tri-Rail was begging riders to push their elected politicians for more funding as the ridership counts were too low to get renewed for their grants.

I was on one of these trains this morning. Most of the FAM, ICE and TSA were standing around and talking, not giving a single eye to other passengers or their surroundings. It was a morning long coffee break.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:41 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not only was this a colossal waste of time and money, it's evidence of additional mission creep by the TSA - at a time when they can't even master their original mission with even a slight degree of competence.
And much of the electorate is snoozing at the citizenship wheel rather than expressing outrage and demanding that their representatives curb the TSA's mission.

Talk about Attention Deficit Democracy.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:49 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by cdbrickell
At least they gave the Tri-Fail a boost in ridership numbers this month. A few months ago Tri-Rail was begging riders to push their elected politicians for more funding as the ridership counts were too low to get renewed for their grants.
A bit OMNI, but this issue of ridership boosting schemes to ensure grant renewals w/r/t to transportation toys is a very touchy subject in my fair city as well. I should start referring to our intra-city rail as MAX Light Fail.

I was on one of these trains this morning. Most of the FAM, ICE and TSA were standing around and talking, not giving a single eye to other passengers or their surroundings. It was a morning long coffee break.
I'll bet a few of them were all misty-eyed for their days of youth when school field trips were legitimized excuses for skiving off real work.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:55 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
No word on any interactions with, or conflicts with train passengers or attempted screenings/searches.
Don't forget to have an appropriate response prepared if they do attempt to "engage" you in conversation. @:-)

Clark W. Griswold: "Excuse me, could you please tell me how to get back on the expressway? "... (Vacation)
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
Don't forget to have an appropriate response prepared if they do attempt to "engage" you in conversation. @:-)

Clark W. Griswold: "Excuse me, could you please tell me how to get back on the expressway? "... (Vacation)
They've already tried playing SPOT with me twice at airport checkpoints. Usually they use my college team T shirt as a 'pick up' line. I honestly feel like someone is trying to pick me up at a bar when they do this.

The conversations don't go far tho...usually my mean scowl ends it right there, and on one occasion at ORD I just snapped "go play SPOT with someone else" and walked off. I'm not in the mood to play games with these people, I just want to be done with the screening process and be on my way.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:38 pm
Original Member

The conversations don't go far tho...usually my mean scowl ends it right there, and on one occasion at ORD I just snapped "go play SPOT with someone else" and walked off.
Great rejoinder! (Not to mention suitable sig line for FT.) I'll have to tuck it away for future use. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.