Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

LEOs tackle running man at IAD tonight 6.21.07

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium

So I'm minding my own business waiting to board 1763 from IAD tonight and I look up to see a guy run past me at a full sprint with 3 uniformed officers running a few paces behind him. I watch as he runs away to see a man come out of the crowd and attempt to tackle the running man. The other 3 LEOs jump in the scrum and after a few bounces the 4 of them are able to bring the guy down, and get him hog-tied.

Anybody else see it?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Would have been cost effective if they had - in the short term that is.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:06 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Probably had liquids in excess of 3.4 oz/100 ml.

"No ticket!" - Indiana Jones
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:12 am
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Airline Programs
link

any link to a news story?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
When I read the thread title I thought the LEO's were tackling a guy doing a certain dance move from the 1980's.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by MCI777
When I read the thread title I thought the LEO's were tackling a guy doing a certain dance move from the 1980's.
Yes, they're the equally famous but lesser known Flying Leos, no doubt a takeoff on another group. They're currently touring the East Coast performing such greats as 'You Make Me Feel Like Dancing'.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
If you were about to board the flight, you were already in the mid-field terminal ... what could he have done out there that they needed to pursue him like that through the concourse and where was the guy going to run to at that point, anyway?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by GoingAway
If you were about to board the flight, you were already in the mid-field terminal ... what could he have done out there that they needed to pursue him like that through the concourse and where was the guy going to run to at that point, anyway?
Pure speculation on my part, but if the guy had somehow busted through the security checkpoint and then they lost sight of him wouldn't they have to evacuate the entire terminal?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Pure speculation on my part, but if the guy had somehow busted through the security checkpoint and then they lost sight of him wouldn't they have to evacuate the entire terminal?

-FlyerBeek
exactly ... but that is in the main terminal where you enter security. AA is out of terminal D, although another option could be an international passenger who busted out of the hamster trails and entered the regular area instead of proceeding to the people mover for transit to customs & immigration.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by GoingAway
exactly ... but that is in the main terminal where you enter security. AA is out of terminal D, although another option could be an international passenger who busted out of the hamster trails and entered the regular area instead of proceeding to the people mover for transit to customs & immigration.
Ahh, good point. Perhaps he was trying to dismantle one of the moon rovers (in which case my support would lie 100% with him - I hate those things).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I saw a guy running through the airport recently. No one tackled him, which is a good thing because I think he was late for his flight. Anyone else see it?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:32 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MCI777
Or, perhaps, the Governator of California...

Cheers.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
We were in Terminal D so you had to ride a people mover to get out there. My guess is that the guy was high or mentally ill. There was nowhere to run.

Blumie, running in an aiport isn't uncommon - but seeing the runner tackled by 1000lbs worth of cops seemed worthy of comment.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Spyder
Blumie, running in an aiport isn't uncommon - but seeing the runner tackled by 1000lbs worth of cops seemed worthy of comment.
Not sure what it has to do with AA, other than the fact that you were about to board an AA flight, but ok.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:48 am

The gentleman in question recently purchased an Excecutive Plt status off of ebay.

You have been warned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.