Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety Issues
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 20, 08, 6:58 pm   #31

Programs: DL Skymiles Hilton Honors, Hertz Gold
The bleach pens are prohibited not the tide pens, call for a supervisor and tell her to bring the sop. The tide pens are ok. Just keep it in your purse and don't take it out.
flpab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 08, 1:16 am   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpenny16 View Post
Isn't that the truth. I think the Tide pens are all plastic. I carry several pens and other markers; so just toss my Tide pen in my bag with those.
But in general - pens contains liquid. Never heard of anyone forced to give up his/her ball-point or fountain pen.
Discus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 08, 11:11 am   #33
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-Gold, UA-1K, PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.4MM-lite, COUA-1.0MM-BIS
From the tide website these appear to have the same packaging as a felt tip markers. Since TSOs appear to want to steal these things, perhaps wrapping them in duct tape, and leaving them in your carry on would be simplest.

It just occurred to me that pens have ink. I wonder if I should ask the TSA if I'm allowed to have pens. But I'd hate to give them ideas.
Old Aug 21, 08, 11:16 am   #34

Tide pens, my 2 cents

When in doubt, I'd just throw it in a zip-loc and be done with it.

Everything else is packed in checkin.

With the personal items the hotels provide, I don't need too much liquid stuff anyway.

Except for my precious daughter....that's another thread.
happymom2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 08, 9:22 pm   #35

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Sol View Post
A solid stick deodorant is not subject to the liquid rules (i.e. if it says "solid" on the container). Is the Tide stick closer to a gel-type deodorant or a solid-type?
The "Tide To Go" pens are definitely liquid-filled. You can hear it sloshing if shake the pen.

That said, I've been flying with one in briefcase for months without incident. On an x-ray, I imagine it would look just like a felt-tip marker.
Science Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 08, 5:54 pm   #36
Suspended

"Press the Tide to Go tip onto the stain several times to release some stain remover solution onto the stain."

That's from the tide website. I'm guessing that something that releases a solution is probably a liquid and thus you're subject to the rules that everyone else is. Having taken it through security really doesn't change anything.
thegeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 09, 6:22 pm   #37

Thumbs down Tide Stick a no-no?

I have flown all over the US with Tide Sticks, always in the Zip-Lock baggie, without any problems whatsoever UNTIL this past Saturday. I was returning home to Cleveland through Fort Lauderdale airport when an overzealous TSA agent "walking the line" before I actually reached the "Puffer", saw my baggie in the bin and asked if that was my "Tide Stick". When I told her that it was, she removed it from the baggy and in a very confrontational manner told me that "Tide Sticks are NOT allowed on airplanes". I told her that not only had I brought it with me through Cleveland Hopkins airport, but that I had also passed through FLL just 6 weeks earlier, through THIS VERY CHECK POINT with the same Tide Stick, in the very same baggie, and I had never, ever had a problem with the Tide Stick in the past. She told me that I had never passed a Tide Stick throught this airport (insinuating that I was lying), and at this point she "suggested" that I take my Tide Stick back to the baggage counter and put it in my checked luggage (which I had actually checked 2 hours prior to this time, and God knows where it was at this point). I was pretty annoyed at this point and told her to simply throw it out if it was such a big problem. She then called over one of her co-workers and handed him the Tide Stick. He looked at her with a very puzzled look on his face, to which she responded "it's a Tide Stick and it's not allowed; throw it out". He then rolled his eyes, shrugged his shoulders and threw it out.

Later, as I was using the bathroom and re-applying lipstick, low and behold I found ANOTHER Tide Stick, this one in my purse (the very purse that had also passed through the scanner!). No one took THAT Tide Stick away.

So, either the rules of the TSA are pretty subjective and they really DON'T know what is and what is not allowed, or their security is pretty lax, having taken one Tide Stick away, leaving me with another one. Either way, the Nazi tactics of some of the TSA agents is appalling, leaving travelers bewildered and aggravated, not to mention losing their personal items.
RandiMOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 09, 6:51 pm   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus View Post
But in general - pens contains liquid. Never heard of anyone forced to give up his/her ball-point or fountain pen.
And then there is the human bladder... Can't you make a bomb with urea?
Old Sep 7, 09, 7:25 pm   #39

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum by proxy, Sephora VIB, *A Plaid
What in the eff?

My parents called from Paris and told me to bring a Tide pen with me when I met them, and I stuck it in my baggie. It made it through BOS, DUB and CDG. I also brought it to Barcelona, so it was fine in JFK and BCN as well. It's freaking laundry detergent. It's indeed a liquid, but what in the eff? I guess it's just one of those TSA things.
longwaybackhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 09, 8:03 pm   #40
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a twisty little maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO & NW forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandiMOH View Post
When I told her that it was, she removed it from the baggy and in a very confrontational manner told me that "Tide Sticks are NOT allowed on airplanes".
That's complete garbage. If it's not an explosive (like gasoline), it's under 3.4oz/100ml, and it fits into your Freedom Baggie it's allowed. These sticks generally have 1oz or less of liquid in them.

I certainly hope you filled out a complaint form. I'd have had a cow over this.
Old Sep 7, 09, 8:12 pm   #41

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Tide Sticks are even sold in airport newsstands. I bought one from a airside shop a month ago. If TSA is serious about them being prohibited, then they did need to remove them from there.
Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 09, 10:03 pm   #42

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
A new acronym for TSA

Tide
Sticks
Anoynmous
speedster1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 09, 10:33 pm   #43
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
Tide Sticks are even sold in airport newsstands. I bought one from a airside shop a month ago. If TSA is serious about them being prohibited, then they did need to remove them from there.
But these are sold after passing security, and presumably the tsa has verified that they are non-explosive.
nrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 09, 10:37 pm   #44
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
In Toronto it would have been CATSA, but some of them are even more capricious than their US counterparts. Toronto is notorious; you were actually fortunate she spoke English.
This is so true - but they are easier to push around than their US Smurf counterparts. The OP should have escalated.

They tried to grab me a couple of times when they used to gate screen every US flight - I was able to wave them off with a Jedi-style 'sorry, not interested'.

I've also been able to smuggle copious amounts of liquids and gels through YYZ via my cargo shorts.
Old Sep 8, 09, 9:23 am   #45

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandiMOH View Post
So, either the rules of the TSA are pretty subjective and they really DON'T know what is and what is not allowed, or their security is pretty lax, ...
Or, of course, both.