Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food For Thought: Pax as Self-Loading Cargo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Food For Thought: Pax as Self-Loading Cargo

In reading the various threads and posts these past few weeks I am taken by the fact that the majority of them relate to how the airline industry, airline crews, government agencies, TSA, FAA, and often other passengers treat air travelers. To help understand their perspective, I believe a conversation I had with a cargo pilot makes it all perfectly clear and hence the treatment understandable.

Sitting at a bar in Amsterdam I began chatting with a pilot and inevitably our conversation turned to the flying experience. At which time he pointed out that he was a cargo pilot and the issues I was discussing were with SLC.

I asked what he meant by SLC, and he explained that this is what cargo people refer to paying passengers SELF LOADING CARGO.

The next time you find yourself frustrated by airlilne personnel or TSA agent, or another flyer, remember SLC. While it may not make you feel better it will give you a better insight into the perception of the other person in their dealings with you. Now doesn't it all make perfect sense now. And you thought it was something personal.

Just a thought!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
How do they refer to Self Loading Cargo...in Salt Lake City?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
I've flown with some Self Loading Cargo that should have been sent under the plane.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I like the term. ^^
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
I've flown with some Self Loading Cargo that should have been sent under the plane.
I would venture a guess that it is SLC squared.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drat19
How do they refer to Self Loading Cargo...in Salt Lake City?
Mia Culpa - my above post should have quoted the above, and again

"SLC squared"
Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:19 pm

I believe SLF (self-loading freight) is the more common term. It avoids the Salt Lake City ambiguity, but then it can be confused with Shuttle Launch Facility instead.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
It's true that TSA views us passengers as the horrible inconvenience between breaks, but I just don't think they are clever enough to have come up with something like 'Self Loading Cargo'.

It's more of an airline term than a security term.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: Vanishing
Originally Posted by tkey75
It's true that TSA views us passengers as the horrible inconvenience between breaks, but I just don't think they are clever enough to have come up with something like 'Self Loading Cargo'.

Please, don't use "security" and "TSA" so close to each other!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:10 am

It's true that TSA views us passengers as the horrible inconvenience between breaks.
I take exception to that. Maybe the majority of TSA view pax that way, but I for one, do not.

If it weren't for you folks I'd be behind the counter at your local Mickey D's wanting to know "if you wanted fries with that".
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by L-1011
Please, don't use "security" and "TSA" so close to each other!
Your footer quotes an Arboach. I must have been out of town when he/she made that delcaration. Who is he/she?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: Vanishing
Originally Posted by sailman
Your footer quotes an Arboach. I must have been out of town when he/she made that delcaration. Who is he/she?
Arbroath is an abbey in Scotland and the Declaration of Arbroath is what some consider "the original declaration of independence". I'm sure you were out of town since it was written almost 700 years ago
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/arbroath.html for more info.

Last edited by L-1011; Jan 17, 2007 at 8:40 am Reason: that math again...
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by L-1011
Arbroath is an abbey in Scotland and the Declaration of Arbroath is what some consider "the original declaration of independence". I'm sure you were out of town since it was written almost 700 years ago
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/arbroath.html for more info.
Thank you very much for the background. I will check it out. While waiting for your reply, I found my airline ticket stubs to prove I was out of town.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:22 am

Actually, if the TSA viewed us as self loading cargo, this might be a GOOD thing...we could all avoid the screening process, since cargo isn't screened

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.