Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Which countries do/will have carry-on liquid ban?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Currently, the UK, USA, and Canada are the countries (to my knowledge) which have the ban.

The rest of Europe and Switzerland will implement a similar regulation on Nov 1 (link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...609411&page=1).

Which other countries in the world have implemented, or will implement in the near future, such a restriction on carry-on liquids?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Starwood Gold; BA Blue; VS Red; DL; US; CO; NW
Flying out of Cozumel, Mexico, on Saturday, we were told (at the gate) that no liquids at all, of any size, were allowed except for duty-free stuff delivered at the gate, and that no food nor drinks were allowed, even stuff purchased in the airport. The guy running the X-ray didn't seem to know any of this, nor did whoever posted the signs prior to the checkpoint advising of the TSA rule.

So I'd suggest listing Mexico as a country that may have a ban stricter than the one in the US.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:36 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Flights leaving from any country or the countries listed by OP would follow the
same procedure.

If you were leaving from Mexico for US or Canada, you would see the similar
security procedure, but that shouldnt put Mexico in the same category.
(I personally dont know what the "standard" liquid policies are in place for
Mexico - can somebody confirm?? )
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cpx
Flights leaving from any country or the countries listed by OP would follow the
same procedure.

If you were leaving from Mexico for US or Canada, you would see the similar
security procedure, but that shouldnt put Mexico in the same category.
(I personally dont know what the "standard" liquid policies are in place for
Mexico - can somebody confirm?? )
Not true, at least for Canada. I came on flights from Paris and Franfurt to Canada over the last month; no restrictions (no signs, no announcements) on carry-on liquids when I boarded those flights. However, I do not know if the same applies or not, to flights destined to the USA or the UK.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Starwood Gold; BA Blue; VS Red; DL; US; CO; NW
Originally Posted by cpx
(I personally dont know what the "standard" liquid policies are in place for Mexico - can somebody confirm?? )
A domestic flight (operated by Click) to Mexico City was boarding shortly before our flight to CLT and the announcement for those passengers was the same, so I assume the rule in Mexico might be a total ban, unless it's just something that ASUR had in place (ASUR are the company who run the airports in Cozumel and Cancun).

But the odd thing was that the X-ray guy wasn't looking for liquids, nor was his colleague. Ms1995hoo had a thing in her bag for picking out food between your teeth and they re-screened that, and in doing so they saw her liquid cosmetics and stuff, but they didn't object to those. It was only upon the boarding announcement that anyone said anything about a liquid ban, so we decided that they could go to hell and left our liquids in our bags. Since we weren't pulled aside for gate searches, it was no problem.

Last edited by 1995hoo; Oct 9, 2006 at 8:53 am Reason: Fix a typo
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:40 am
cpx

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Not true, at least for Canada. I came on flights from Paris and Franfurt to Canada over the last month; no restrictions (no signs, no announcements) on carry-on liquids when I boarded those flights. However, I do not know if the same applies or not, to flights destined to the USA or the UK.
For USA I know they have special screening for sure.. and I assumed they
would have the same deal for Canada/EU/CH/UK.
Its better if the strict liquid/carry-on-size restrictions are not enforced from
other countries.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:41 am
cpx

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
A domestic flight (operated by Click) to Mexico City was boarding shortly before our flight to CLT and the announcement for those passengers was the same, so I assume the rule in Mexico might be a total ban, unless it's just something that ASUR had in place (ASUR are the company who run the airports in Cozumel and Cancun).

But the odd thing was that the X-ray guy wasn't looking for liquids, nor was his colleague. Ms1995hoo had a thing in her bag for picking out food between your teeth and they re-screened that, and in doing so they saw her liquid cosmetics and stuff, but they didn't object to those. It was only upon the boarding announcement that anyone said anything about a liquid ban, so we decided that they could go to hell and left our liquids in our bags. Since we weren't pulled aside for gate searches, it was no problem.
Sounds like they are joining the same circus
I'm glad they didnt give you a hard time.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

My guess is that Australia and New Zealand do observe this ban; my guess is that most countries in Asia, Africa, and South America do not observe this ban?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Which countries' "security" is dictated by Idiots?"
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
In GRU (Sao Paulo), the "no liquid" ban is being enforced by an army of security agents who do a bag check of every hand bag of every pax who transfers from the AA GIG(Rio)/GRU flight to the AA US-bound flights. Same US/GRU to GRU/GIG transfers. I presume it is the same for UA to UA transfers & CO to CO transfers between GRU & GIG.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:55 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Any flights headed to/from US/Canada/UK have the stupid liquid ban. Based on my experience, flights from and terminating within NZ, Japan, Korea did not care for checking liquids. All US bound flights have a separate gate area for more secondary checks at all foreign locations.

I really hope that Asia/Pacific does not fall into this circus.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
All US bound flights have a separate gate area for more secondary checks at all foreign locations.
True but they just ask you if you have the stuff and/or randomly check and half the time it's like they are just doing it for show.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:59 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
True but they just ask you if you have the stuff and/or randomly check and half the time it's like they are just doing it for show.
I found them to be quite thorough for flights heading to US. I guess they dont want to be blamed for letting on dangerous liquids like water and toothpaste onboard ........
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I found them to be quite thorough for flights heading to US. I guess they dont want to be blamed for letting on dangerous liquids like water and toothpaste onboard ........
My experiences were flying out of Mexico, Japan, and Australia. Maybe other places are different?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if North Korea has a liquids ban???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.