TSA took my cancer medication away

Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:07 pm

I am appalled, as someone who lost their mother to cancer, this makes me shiver with anger. Get a Lawyer and sue those b##tards.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
It was my fault for somehow forgetting my prescription and note from my doctor, but a little consideration would have been nice. There is absolutely no excuse, security or otherwise for doing that.

I escalated to two supervisors, but they refused to allow it.

This was at T7 LAX for a flight to SIN.
Wow, let me raise my voice for the "escalate this" crowd. This needs to go to the media.

Was the medication MMJ? I ask because I have heard of airport security relieving legitimate patients of it in airports before. The state should put up big posters reminding the TSA that it is legal here in CA.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KleineFrau
Wow, let me raise my voice for the "escalate this" crowd. This needs to go to the media.

Was the medication MMJ? I ask because I have heard of airport security relieving legitimate patients of it in airports before. The state should put up big posters reminding the TSA that it is legal here in CA.
It was not "medication MMJ", for stimpy knows well about what, in reference to that, is not going to be permitted (to say the least) in Singapore.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It was not "medication MMJ", for stimpy knows well about what, in reference to that, is not going to be permitted (to say the least) in Singapore.
Sorry, I did not know that much about Stimpy's background.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Never having heard the term before, I'm guessing that MMJ is Cannabis, from the Singapore ref.

I'm sorry to hear that the OP lost their drugs. I don't think it is right either that they got confiscated. I'm still a little miffed about my seal 4 oz. bottle of contact lens fluid being taken away two weeks ago. My loss was about $4. I can only imagine what the cancer meds cost.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!

I've got RA which is treated with similar drugs to some cancer protocols (which calls for either injected or infused drugs). I've avoided switching to an injectible because at several hundred dollars a dosage, I can't afford (money or treatment-wise)to have the TSA take away my meds. Instead I plan my travel schedule so I can have in-office infusion (which is more expensive than the injectible).

I hope stimpy takes this as far as he can go - and I'd say getting his insurance company involved might also help - especially if they will bear the cost of replacement drugs. The insurance industry has a fairly powerful lobbying group and it certainly might help get the "don't mess with my meds" message out there. (I'd also suggest notifying the AARP - while I know the OP is younger than that, they also have a vocal majority and I'm sure their members don't want to fear their drugs being confiscated either.)
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by doober
Don't make yourself into a victim - it was not your fault. (Don't forget that one poster here who is a screener has poo-pooed the practice of bringing a note from your doctor.)

Please, please report this to the CA Board of Medical Examiners, to your own doctor, the American Cancer Society and - don't laugh at me - the pharmaceutical company that manufactures the drug. Yes, they have an interest in patients using their drugs, but they also have a need to be seen as "good guys." If pharmaceutical companies come out against the practice of TSA taking meds away from travelers, they are going to look good to a large number of people, travelers and non-travelers alike.
Excellent suggestion, for another reason. These organizations, especially the pharmaceutical company, have the ears of those in power who could rein in the TSA (can you say "Campaign contributions"?). However, upon further review, the pharmaceutical company probably would not mind the seizure of Stimpy's medication, because he will have to obtain more of that medication, meaning double profit for the pharmaceutical company.

Edit: after reading further in this thread, if the cancer medication is herbal, not a product of a pharmaceutical company, then my suggestion to contact elected representatives would not work. Money talks, bu11$hit walks.

Last edited by PatrickHenry1775; Oct 21, 2006 at 1:13 pm
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by etch5895
Never having heard the term before, I'm guessing that MMJ is Cannabis, from the Singapore ref.

I'm sorry to hear that the OP lost their drugs. I don't think it is right either that they got confiscated. I'm still a little miffed about my seal 4 oz. bottle of contact lens fluid being taken away two weeks ago. My loss was about $4. I can only imagine what the cancer meds cost.
You are correct about the MMJ term in context of my reference to Singapore. I too had never heard "medication MMJ" before; for, in the California context, it's simply been referred to as "MMJ", in certain contexts, where the first M stands for medicine, medical, medicinal, medication or the like and the MJ stands for marijuana. But "MMJ" is almost certainly not what was involved here.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Advantage (Platinum)
This is absolutely appalling. . .The fact that this government agency who is supposed to be protecting, not harassing, citizens would take away cancer treatment from a traveler makes my blood boil.

Sadly, nothing they do surprises me anymore. . .I couldn't find the prescription for one of my meds (nothing as serious as cancer medication) so I took the number of pills I would need for the trip, put them in a sandwich bag and placed them in the pocket of the pants I was wearing so I wouldn't have to deal with any TSA crap.

To the OP - best of luck with both your treatment and exposing this fraud of an organization.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Everyone keeps speculating that this is an MMJ issue - but lots of cancer drugs come in the injectible or infusable format - and that would mean he likely ran up against the liquids issue.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by techgirl
Everyone keeps speculating that this is an MMJ issue - but lots of cancer drugs come in the injectible or infusable format - and that would mean he likely ran up against the liquids issue.
I wouldn't say "everyone" above, but your principal point here and especially your points in the prior post (about informing other interested parties) are well directed. This kind of nonsense on the part of the TSA needs to be exposed and held in check. There are many people who cannot afford to lose their medication like this.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
I wish I could say I was appalled by this, but given what my friend Amy just went thru @ DFW, I'm not.

Monday, Oct 2, my cell phone rings @ 6 am PST & it's Amy in tears because she's missed her flight from DFW-LAX for a conference we were putting on (I was already in LA). She had JUST finished 6 mos of VERY high test chemo which really did a job on her in many, many ways not just the usual hair & weight loss. Having just finished chemo, she still has 'chemobrain' & while she had the regulation baggies, the problem (aka 'crime against humanity' according to the screener who got her claws into Amy) was that she had too many, not to mention the infusion port still in her chest that set off the WTMD. Did I mention that 7 yrs ago she had a kidney transplant & so has 3 GALLON size baggies full of her meds just for that, too? Between all the meds, too many baggies, & the port in her chest, the screeners had quite a fun time w/her (I had told her not to even take the bags of pills out of her carryon, but between the chemobrain & the screaming screener...)-I would not be at all surprised if, upon seeing her tottering along, by herself, w/her cane, they flipped a coin to see who would be the lucky one to get her. And yes, they felt the need to keep the special oil she uses for her wigs to keep them looking good. So, if any of the DFW screeners are lurking, congrats-you made the girl w/cancer cry; your mothers must be soooo proud of you.

I guarantee she was only picked on BECAUSE she was by herself & in no shape to put up a fight, which is par for the course w/the TSA. Funny thing is, as the OP tried to do, Amy first tried to take responsibility for some of this, saying she 'just didn't move as fast as she needed too', etc-I told her, as the others have said here, this was 110% the fault of the screeners' & their collective attitude problems & not her fault. The good news is that she got to LA eventually, had a good week, & several of us repacked her carryon's for the trip back, which was completely uneventful (even flying out of T4 @ LAX)

I loathed this agency before this, but now, words literally cannot express how much I hate the TSA.

Last edited by Cholula; Oct 21, 2006 at 9:22 pm Reason: Removed reference to another FT'er
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Until this incredible travesty is fixed, I recommend taking only as much as one needs aboard and one day, and using FedEx for the remainder of medications one needs. It adds expense, no doubt, but I can imagine how difficult it could be 1) paying for replacement drugs, 2) chasing down sources of replacement drugs, or 3) not being able to find sources for the replacement drugs. (I also recommend scanning and putting copies of medical and optical prescriptions, passport ident pages and the like on an e-mail system you can access on the road, like G-Mail.)

It's tricky enough with common, ordinary OTC drugs when in the US you ask for the generic "acetaminophen" and go to a number of other countries where it is "paracetamol." (We won't even discuss the brand names Panadol, Tylenol, Herron, Paralen, Doliprane, Alvedon, Gelocatil, etc. used in different countries.)

And I definitely agree with the idea of contacting the local media about this issue, not to mention one's elected representatives - with midterm elections three 3 weeks out, contacting local media and a Congressional office might make an effective combination at the moment...
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by techgirl
It was just genuine curiosity on my part, really. I personally do not care or judge, as I think it has many medically beneficial uses.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Until this incredible travesty is fixed, I recommend taking only as much as one needs aboard and one day, and using FedEx for the remainder of medications one needs. It adds expense, no doubt, but I can imagine how difficult it could be 1) paying for replacement drugs, 2) chasing down sources of replacement drugs, or 3) not being able to find sources for the replacement drugs. (I also recommend scanning and putting copies of medical and optical prescriptions, passport ident pages and the like on an e-mail system you can access on the road, like G-Mail.)
If the population shows that they are willing to pay for and use 'workarounds' so that the TSA does not have to change its policies, then what gives the TSA any incentive to alter their behavior? None.

Look at it like this:
A bully--let's call him Scut Farkus--blocks the alley on your way home from school every day, and threatens to beat you up.

If you decide to just take an alternate route, the other kids who still go down that alley will have to face him. And if they also decide to take alternate routes, he will continue to block that alley and threaten kids.

But if you stand up to him (you may have to punch Scut Farkus but I would not recommend punching a TSA officer), continue to take that alley and let him know that his behavior is not acceptable, you will be standing up for your rights. Fight hard enough, and you may win back your rights to that alley without being bullied every day.

In the end, will you feel better about yourself if you let Scut Farkus change your route through harassment and intimidation, or will you feel better about yourself if you stand up to him?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.