Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liquid ounces vs. weight ounces

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Liquid ounces vs. weight ounces

So liquids and gels individually less than "3 ounces" are allowed. I assume that this refers to liquid ounces.

What about those products that are sold/labeled by weight ounces? Toothpaste & deodorant both come to mind.

Or is an ounce an ounce, that distinction being lost on the average TSA'er?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
That occured to me also, but the 3 oz means gel (toothpaste, deodorant) as well as liquid items.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
So liquids and gels individually less than "3 ounces" are allowed. I assume that this refers to liquid ounces.

What about those products that are sold/labeled by weight ounces? Toothpaste & deodorant both come to mind.

Or is an ounce an ounce, that distinction being lost on the average TSA'er?

SHHHHH! Don't confuse them!!!!
Old Sep 30, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
On ounce of water should be the same for weight and volume (if I remember my schooling). For liquids/gels more dense that water, 1 fl oz, will weigh more than 1 ounce.
--
13F
Old Sep 30, 2006, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
When I came chackpoint at PHX yesterday and when TSA screener told me that she took my toothpaste because it is too big more than 3 oz. So I didn't want to do it for me when I am taking the toothpaste into the checkpoint. When I pull out from my bag and show her something to her. I can have allowed beyond checkpoint with the eye drop is okay for me. When I talk with TSA lady when she check the monitor at the x-ray machine and She told me that I have to less than 3oz beyond checkpint and I will do that next time when I am traveling out from PHX. Where I should need buy with the toothpaste for least 3oz at Walgreens or something other good stores in PHX. Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2006, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
SHHHHH! Don't confuse them!!!!
What?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by N830MH
When I came chackpoint at PHX yesterday and when TSA screener told me that she took my toothpaste because it is too big more than 3 oz. So I didn't want to do it for me when I am taking the toothpaste into the checkpoint. When I pull out from my bag and show her something to her. I can have allowed beyond checkpoint with the eye drop is okay for me. When I talk with TSA lady when she check the monitor at the x-ray machine and She told me that I have to less than 3oz beyond checkpint and I will do that next time when I am traveling out from PHX. Where I should need buy with the toothpaste for least 3oz at Walgreens or something other good stores in PHX. Thanks!
Yes Walgreens or similar places have a "trial size" section where small (less than 1 oz) of toothpaste would be about a dollar. Deodorant and other stuff of any kind in those sizes from that part of the store are okay, too, in your plastic baggie.

I hope that helps.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
What?
He means that the TSA workers would be confused trying to understand the difference between 3 oz of liquid and 3 oz of solid/gel.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 9:30 pm

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
Originally Posted by swag
"Ounce" technically refers to an avoirdupois (weight) ounce; "fluid ounce" is the proper term to connote a volume measurement.

Perhaps the TSA decided to keep things simple, and its usage of the ambiguous "ounce" means that its intent was to allow passengers to carry through checkpoints any toiletry having a weight of 3 ounces or less or having a volume of 3 fluid ounces or less.

Perhaps the TSA was unaware of the distinction above and intended "ounce" to mean "fluid ounce." Any conflict resulting from the difference between fluid ounces and avoirdupois ounces arguably should be resolved against the rulemaker, meaning that passengers should be allowed to carry through the checkpoint toiletries weighing 3 ounces and toiletries having the volume of 3 fluid ounces. (Good luck arguing this point to any ziptop martinet you may encounter.) Besides, would the specific gravities of most liquid or gel toiletries weighing 3 ounces have any significant variances exceeding 3 fluid ounces? I say, "No!"
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
I have this one container of shaving gel thats labeled Net wt. 2.75 oz. The size of the container would indicate more than 3 fluid oz.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I have this one container of shaving gel thats labeled Net wt. 2.75 oz. The size of the container would indicate more than 3 fluid oz.
A loophole in your favor.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
On ounce of water should be the same for weight and volume (if I remember my schooling). For liquids/gels more dense that water, 1 fl oz, will weigh more than 1 ounce.
--
13F
You got me thinking -- I think the relationship is in the metric system. If I remember correctly, 1ml of water weighs 1mg.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:47 am

Programs: TSA Platinum
Can someone please explain to me why 3 ozs or less a safe number?
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I imagine the TSA surveyed and found that the smallest commercially produced containers of widely used toiletries, cosmetics etc are 3 ounces or less. Simplicity is important, it would be unwieldy to have a separate size limitation for each commodity. The quart bag restriction still creates an incentive to carry the smallest size one can find.

l
Originally Posted by fly no more
Can someone please explain to me why 3 ozs or less a safe number?
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
You got me thinking -- I think the relationship is in the metric system. If I remember correctly, 1ml of water weighs 1mg.
1 mL of water = 1 gram.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.