Today's Catch-22 @ the Shoe Carnival

Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

So, this morning @ DCA's Terminal B/C, I put on my booties and prepared to go through the WTMD when the screener said, "You can't wear booties unless we provide them."

"You don't have any booties," I noted.

"So, you can't wear booties.".

I must have looked like I was going to explode, because his partner said, "let the doctor through."

They really must stay up late making this stuff up.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:31 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
OMG this is really too ridiculous. I find it unbelievable the way some of these people think (or not, as the case may be).

Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by bollar
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

So, this morning @ DCA's Terminal B/C, I put on my booties and prepared to go through the WTMD when the screener said, "You can't wear booties unless we provide them."

I must have looked like I was going to explode, because his partner said, "let the doctor through."

You should have told this ahole: "Go to hell! I'm not putting my health
in jeopardy just so you can go on a power trip and make yourself feel
big. Now get me your supervisor!"

If you're a diabetic, you should have mentioned this to the fool as well.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeneralAviation

You should have told this ahole: "Go to hell! I'm not putting my health
in jeopardy just so you can go on a power trip and make yourself feel
big. Now get me your supervisor!"

If you're a diabetic, you should have mentioned this to the fool as well.
I didn't plan the extra time to joust with the kids, so I had to leave that battle for another day.

Although most anyone on FT who reads my posts knows I have diabetes, I don't find that disclosing the details to the screener to be particularly helpful. Then again, if I have time, I do enjoy explaining peripheral neuropathy and why walking without shoes is risky.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:59 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
As is typical, this out-of-control agency can't even follow the rules that are clearly posted on their own website:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ing/index.shtm

Disposable booties or slippers may be worn through the checkpoint to help protect your feet, but they must be disposed of prior to leaving the screening area.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:15 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by studentff
As is typical, this out-of-control agency can't even follow the rules that are clearly posted on their own website:
There have been many, many examples posted here which clearly indicate that the screeners do not read either the website or the instructions which (presumably) they get through 'official' channels. Whether they are told not to by superiors or are simply too lazy to do it for themselves, the end result is the same. They come across as the officious fools which many (note: not all) of them are.

Management/leadership problem. No surprise there .
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:25 am

I didn't plan the extra time to joust with the kids, so I had to leave that battle for another day.

Although most anyone on FT who reads my posts knows I have diabetes, I don't find that disclosing the details to the screener to be particularly helpful. Then again, if I have time, I do enjoy explaining peripheral neuropathy and why walking without shoes is risky.

I knew from your previous posts that you are a diabetic, but I didn't
want to invade your medical privacy in my initial post. Maybe you
should have threatened to sue under the "Americans with Disabilities Act."

Were you the person who posted a few years ago about a problem
with "security" at the Santa Barbara Airport? I'm sorry you have to
endure these hassles.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by studentff

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ing/index.shtm

Disposable booties or slippers may be worn through the checkpoint to help protect your feet, but they must be disposed of prior to leaving the screening area.
Wonder what the logic is behind the requirement to dispose of the booties before leaving the screening area? What possible threat could a pair of booties offer?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by dw8146
Wonder what the logic is behind the requirement to dispose of the booties before leaving the screening area? What possible threat could a pair of booties offer?
If the booties weigh over 3 oz...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
The same threat your shampoo/water/lotion bottles have to offer.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by crhptic
If the booties weigh over 3 oz...

LOL! Good one!
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeneralAviation

I knew from your previous posts that you are a diabetic, but I didn't
want to invade your medical privacy in my initial post. Maybe you
should have threatened to sue under the "Americans with Disabilities Act."

Were you the person who posted a few years ago about a problem
with "security" at the Santa Barbara Airport? I'm sorry you have to
endure these hassles.
Yes, that was me @ SBA. I guess I should have reported the status of that one...

The TSA never responded to my calls, letters and emails beyond one E-mail I received from their lawyer who said my claim was being investigated.

The American Diabetes Association had no interest, which is typical.

My Congressman did nothing (then again, he will hopefully be in jail soon), but another Congressman did and his office's inquiry got a response that the TSA had dealt with the issue.

I haven't been through SBA since, so I don't know if the procedure has been fixed.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
None. And if one pair of booties are dangerous, then why is TSA stacking up a huge pile of used booties at the checkpoint? I would think that a huge pile of used booties would constitute a huge risk.

Welcome to the carnival, folks...
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by justageek
None. And if one pair of booties are dangerous, then why is TSA stacking up a huge pile of used booties at the checkpoint? I would think that a huge pile of used booties would constitute a huge risk.

Welcome to the carnival, folks...
That is like a big pile of gym socks after an hour of P.E. Disgusting. Did no one teach them basic cleanliness?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by KleineFrau
That is like a big pile of gym socks after an hour of P.E. Disgusting. Did no one teach them basic cleanliness?
speaking of cleanliness. I find it rather disgusting when people put their shoes in the bins. The same bins that i have to put my laptop, jacket, and sometimes my bag into. What's so hard about putting your shoes on the conveyor by themselves? If you put your shoes on first your bag will push them through if they get stuck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.