FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   What kind of food allowed on domestic U.S.A. flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/598069-what-kind-food-allowed-domestic-u-s-flights.html)

CDTraveler Aug 10, 2006 6:37 pm

What about food?

I've read several articles/links to official rules, and none I've read specifically mention bringing food with you. My concern is not getting the munchies on a short hop, but rather the health problems faced by folks like myself and family members who are on medically restricted diets. The last nine segments we flew had a variety of snacks on offer - and absolutely nothing we could have eaten without serious health consequences. And don't even mention special airline meals - they don't exist in 2006!

Will a doctor's letter/RX get you permission to bring your own food on board? Yeah, I know such a thing would be easy to forge, but what other criteria would be used to decide?

Right now we're trying to decide on a Christmas trip destination - if these rules last, we'll drive instead of fly, despite having miles to burn.

p.s. and for those who would suggest just toughing it out and not eating - medically, that would be a really, really bad idea for us.

UMassCanuck07 Aug 10, 2006 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I've read several articles/links to official rules, and none I've read specifically mention bringing food with you. My concern is not getting the munchies on a short hop, but rather the health problems faced by folks like myself and family members who are on medically restricted diets. The last nine segments we flew had a variety of snacks on offer - and absolutely nothing we could have eaten without serious health consequences. And don't even mention special airline meals - they don't exist in 2006!

Will a doctor's letter/RX get you permission to bring your own food on board? Yeah, I know such a thing would be easy to forge, but what other criteria would be used to decide?

Right now we're trying to decide on a Christmas trip destination - if these rules last, we'll drive instead of fly, despite having miles to burn.

p.s. and for those who would suggest just toughing it out and not eating - medically, that would be a really, really bad idea for us.

Food is fine as long as it doesn't have a liquid/paste/gel-like consistency.... For example, you cannot take pudding, jello cups, applesauce, etc. through. Solid food is fine still. No mayo packets :(

Sancha Aug 10, 2006 6:40 pm

Food (not in liquid form) is fine. No prescription necessary.

studentff Aug 10, 2006 7:17 pm

I'm planning to bring a five-pound bag of oranges aboard tomorrow in an effort to stay hydrated (or make some $ off other pax depending on my thirst levels. :) )

I'll report on how it goes.

yashan Aug 10, 2006 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by studentff
I'm planning to bring a five-pound bag of oranges aboard tomorrow in an effort to stay hydrated (or make some $ off other pax depending on my thirst levels. :) )

They may make you squeeze out all the juice into a garbage can before going through security and then you'll only have the rinds left to sell to other pax... not much $ to be had there. ;)

Keep us posted though. :)

chicagoflyer1976 Aug 10, 2006 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by studentff

Thats a good idea, I might try that, and then all of the peels and stuff on the plane, just to get the message across that this absolutely ridiculous.

Radiocycle Aug 12, 2006 7:33 pm

If you get a salad (to eat on-board) make sure the dressing is mixed (not in a cup)

If you buy a salad at an airport concession, make sure the salad dressing is already mixed up.

If the salad dressing happens to be "on the side" it will be consider a liquid and your salad will be confiscated.

RC

Buster Aug 14, 2006 12:37 pm

What kind of food is ok to carry on?

I have a series of flights coming up that will have me flying for 8+ hours. I abhor the AA snack box. What is permitted for me to bring on the plane? I wouldn't have thought to ask this but for the amazing bagel & cream cheese story.

Has anyone brought any substantial (not just snack bars) food on board since this craziness started? Just curious what I can manage to get on board.

Thanks.

catocony Aug 14, 2006 12:46 pm

Very dry Christian food, not too heavy as to be a weapon but not light enough to liquify.

Xyzzy Aug 14, 2006 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
Very dry Christian food, not too heavy as to be a weapon but not light enough to liquify.

Darn ... matzoh *almost* makes it...

catocony Aug 14, 2006 1:03 pm

I was at a kosher restaurant last month with a Jewish friend and the matzah ball I got would have definitely caused some damage as a blunt-force weapon. It would have been easier to eat a baseball than that thing.

HeHateY Aug 14, 2006 1:37 pm

According to other threads in this forum,

No Jelly Donuts
No Cream Cheese
No Peanut Butter

(Seriously!) :rolleyes:

Flaflyer Aug 14, 2006 1:57 pm

Open Wide

What kind of food is ok to carry on?

Used. :D

iluv2fly Aug 14, 2006 2:08 pm

I brought on a whole pizza from the Wolfgang Puck restaurant near K-10 at ORD on Thursday night, even though I was in F. Nobody at AA said a word.

exerda Aug 14, 2006 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I brought on a whole pizza from the Wolfgang Puck restaurant near K-10 at ORD on Thursday night, even though I was in F. Nobody at AA said a word.

Hey, isn't a pizza usually just covered in things that could be seen as liquids and gels? You MUST be working with the terrorists! :p