Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty water bottle to be filled on plane???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:13 pm

Unhappy Not allowing an empty bottle is absurd

Originally Posted by rc408
MCO-LAX on Song (Delta). TSA refused to let an empty bottle through due to causing fear on the plane. The reason given was that some passenger would freak out seeing a bottle filled with a liquid.
I have a medical condition where I require more water than the FA typically supply. I am planning to take an empty water bottle with built in filter so that I can have quality water even if I have to drink the water from the tanks on an airplane. However, if TSA does not allow me to take an EMPTY bottle with me to fill once on the plane, there might be medical problems. Do I need a PRESCRIPTION for water now?!?

Last edited by jennifer2456; Sep 3, 2006 at 5:31 pm
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
People here are so critical of the TSA people, but you have to respect them. They have so much creativity and imagination, to come up with these rules and explainations, often on the spur of the moment.
Now if they would actually use that foresight to prevent a real tragedy instead of coming with farfetched scenarios that have a snowball's chance in hell of actually happening.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:08 pm

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Originally Posted by rc408
TSA refused to let an empty bottle through due to causing fear on the plane. The reason given was that some passenger would freak out seeing a bottle filled with a liquid.
I believe that any person who is afraid of an empty water bottle is a great threat to air safety and should never be allowed to fly.

We need to post signs at each airport gate similar to what you see in amusement parks and on the back of your ski-lift ticket:

You are about to ride through the air at great speeds which may involve bumps, jolts, and in some rare cases, death. Persons with great or irrational fear of toothpaste, bottles of water, dark-skinned men with beards, or the inherent risks of life, should not ride this attraction.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by BearX220
All I said was that I think it is overdramatic at best to contend that going for an hour without a personal hydration solution at one's fingertips constitutes some terrible privation. And that a lot of us are guilty of characterizing accessories as necessities. And that in prior eras people didn't expire from lack of said accessories.

With all due respect, we apparently travel in different classes (I am usually in the 'back of the bus'), and you also take much shorter flights than I do. The only flights I have ever taken that were only an hour were Hawaiian interisland flights. I admire folks like you who either only fly short hops or can go hours on end without water. I can't - in the air or on the ground.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
It is a real shame that we Americans who fly only on domestic flights are deprived of drinking water because of Islamowhackos. Let's hope that TSA develops tests, specifically technology at checkpoints, that allow us to travel with water and other essentials such as shampoos and personal toiletries without being treated like we are criminal suspects.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:03 pm

empty bottle with filter?

Originally Posted by jennifer2456
an empty water bottle with built in filter
I think that and a prescription is a good idea. What do you buy that has a filter?

From the stories I have read here, I do think a passenger noticing me using the water bottle I just had filled could indeed overreact. However I too plan on taking a small empty bottle - but I'm not flying any long flights until the end of October.

Sylvia
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
What do you buy that has a filter?
The water in the tanks on airplanes are known to have high bacteria counts. A water bottle with built in filter is nice because one can be assured that the water one is drinking is safe, no matter where the water originally came from. They can be obtained from almost any camping store.

I tend to be on longer flights which cross the country, so dehydration can be a problem.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:32 pm

The water in the tanks on airplanes are known to have high bacteria counts. A water bottle with built in filter is nice because one can be assured that the water one is drinking is safe, no matter where the water originally came from. They can be obtained from almost any camping store.

I tend to be on longer flights which cross the country, so dehydration can be a problem.
Sporting goods stores that sell camping gear carry equipment that can filter harmful bacteria and pathogens from water. Maybe the answer is to buy such equipment and then also bus shares of stock in The Sports Authority and/or Dick's Sporting Goods.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Originally Posted by carttart
Umm..... I certainly wouldn't want my water bottle filled on the plane. They won't be filling it with bottled water, that's for sure!
I fly mostly on AA and drink the water every time. When the FAs use up one bottle, they open a new, sealed one. Does anyone think the airlines are filling these bottles with tap water and then resealing them?
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by pistonsdc
I fly mostly on AA and drink the water every time. When the FAs use up one bottle, they open a new, sealed one. Does anyone think the airlines are filling these bottles with tap water and then resealing them?
Hellooo, McFly? With apologies to "Back to the Future", what do you think flight attendants do when the new, sealed water bottles run out? I do not want to burst your bubble, but I imagine that flight attendants merely fill water bottles with H20 from the tanks on the airliner. A recent study found that a large percentage of those tanks were contaminated with e. coli bacteria. The effects of many strains of e. coli are miserable - stomach cramps, fever, diarrhea, and other wonderful gastrointestinal problems.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by pistonsdc
There have been threads in the AA forum in which people have reported seeing an FA fill up a "bottled water" bottle from the tank water source and then pour it out of the "bottled water" bottle to passengers. I'm sure this happens on every airline.

Now, if you actually see the FA break the manufacturer's seal, then it's not from the airplane tank, but if you just see it being poured out of a "bottled water" bottle, you have no idea where it really came from.

Also, keep in mind that the whole reason for the water ban is that Chertoff and Hawley think it is easy for someone to manufactuer the manufacturer's plastic seal and cerrations on the cap of a bottled water bottle (after they put the liquid explosives into the bottle, of course). Ergo, using their logic, you shouldn't believe it's real "bottled water" even if you see the FA break the seal right in front of your eyes!
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Sylvia,

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
I think that and a prescription is a good idea. What do you buy that has a filter?

From the stories I have read here, I do think a passenger noticing me using the water bottle I just had filled could indeed overreact. However I too plan on taking a small empty bottle - but I'm not flying any long flights until the end of October.

Sylvia
Magellans has them. Not cheap but they do work. http://www.magellans.com/store/Healt...ionFH321?Args=

Likely a good store for backpacking supplies would have them also.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:59 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
I have a medical condition where I require more water than the FA typically supply. I am planning to take an empty water bottle with built in filter so that I can have quality water even if I have to drink the water from the tanks on an airplane. However, if TSA does not allow me to take an EMPTY bottle with me to fill once on the plane, there might be medical problems. Do I need a PRESCRIPTION for water now?!?
I know someone with a similar condition. (all the glands were removed due to a
cancer) and she has to sip water very frequently. If they cant carry the water,
I think its ridiculous. I think you should have a doctors note saying you need
this. It wont be good for TSA if they were caught refusing water to someone
with a similar condition. I just hope you dont have to travel with these
ridiculous restrictions.

And carry a couple of water bottles with you along with the note. Chances
are no one will bother you, but it they do.. you have the note.

Last edited by cpx; Sep 3, 2006 at 10:04 pm
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by cpx
I know someone with a similar condition. (all the glands were removed due to a
cancer) and she has to sip water very frequently. If they cant carry the water,
I think its ridiculous. I think you should have a doctors note saying you need
this. It wont be good for TSA if they were caught refusing water to someone
with a similar condition. I just hope you dont have to travel with these
ridiculous restrictions.
"Good" and "TSA" are mutually exclusive terms.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:12 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
"Good" and "TSA" are mutually exclusive terms.
you got me there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.