Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:30 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sandrar
Didn't see this one covered... if it has, my apologies. How about a 16.5g medicated nose spray in a plastic bottle (not aerosol), which has been prescribed and is in the original box displaying the Rx?

And, am I correct that all personally prescribed medications can be in your carry-on? I will be going on an extended trip to Asia soon, and am covering myself for any and all illnesses and problems.

Thanks for the help...
Should be OK. My wife just went thru at LAX with a similiar thing. Interestingly enough, they checked the name on the prescription against the name on the boarding pass at LAX. At BOS on the way out, they didn't even look at the bottle.

Over the counter meds should be OK as long as they are pills or less than 4 oz.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by stc
Should be OK. My wife just went thru at LAX with a similiar thing. Interestingly enough, they checked the name on the prescription against the name on the boarding pass at LAX. At BOS on the way out, they didn't even look at the bottle.

Over the counter meds should be OK as long as they are pills or less than 4 oz.
Same here no problem with small amounts of eye drops, nose spray (medicated) and Ocean (saline nose spray).
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I came across this site for making one's own tooth powder. I have not tried it yet, but I may before my next trip in a few weeks. Apologies if this has been previously posted, but I didn't see it: http://mizar5.com/toothpst.htm
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:18 pm
ob1

Programs: United GS
Originally Posted by Pam
I saw a reference to no ink pens, in a thread somewhere. Are they really confiscating those? I probably have two or three somewhere in the cavernous "dark hole" that's my purse.
Depends on which airport. My experience in the US is no. International (in particalr FRA) - you bet!
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I have used Crystal Body Deodorant for years. It is a solid mineral that works amazingly well, has no odor, and leaves no stains. I like it even better now that these very strange (and IMHO worse than useless) carry-on restrictions have been put into place.

We have been through security at FRA four times in the past week. The first and second experiences (not for flights to the US) were pretty typical security checks. The third time, inside a secured area, just trying to get to the RCC at FRA, was quite annoying, but not totally ridiculous. The fourth experience, also inside a secured area, for a flight to IAD, was totally bizzarre. They took my Uniball pen (a Costco special) and a very tiny sample of mascara which I had received as a gift at the Estee Lauder counter at Duty Free. Oh, yes, they also confiscated the still sealed United Air Lines amenity kit that my husband had been given on our flight ORD/FRA. Go figure.

It was such an Orwellian experience that I was actually feeling sorry for the poor agents who felt compelled to behave in such an illogical manner just to keep their jobs. I must admit that the whole experience scared me more than it made me feel safe. As I watched them do their "job", I couldn't help but think things like, "What are they missing? What would I do if I were a terrorist and wanted to smuggle liquid explosives aboard?" The obvious answer is body cavities. Once they start searching them, the game of air travel for miles and points is up, well at least for me.

The lock-step floundering of both the US and German agents we have encountered this week contrasted sharply to the clear, intelligent, competence of the Israeli security agents that we experienced in TLV. Is anybody paying attention to the lessons to be learned?

Is there anyone who feels safer as a result of all of this security insanity? It makes me wonder if the terrorists aren't feeling more proud of the fact that they have managed to wreak havoc on the lives of hundreds of thousands of international and domestic travelers every single day all around the world--a condition which may exsist for years and years to come--than they would have been about downing a plane carrying 400 people, which would have been big news for a week or two, and then faded into history.

It is clearly time for more serious thinking about security and less knee-jerk reactions.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by BDLORD
I have had no problems with pills of any kind.
YMMV
Ditto. Though I did not try gel pills like Vicks nighttime.

From my experience last week at SFO and DCA:

Speed stick deodorant stick - YES
Saline solution for contacts, under 4oz - YES
Flonase (nasal mist, forgot prescrip) - YES
Lipbalm in pocket - YES (I guess it didn't set off bells)
Neosporin tube - NO (though SFO missed it)
Pens (rollerball, highlighter, etc.) - YES
Salt packets (to make saline solution) - YES (ironically sodium was purportedly one of the ingredients in the London bomb formula)

Priority mail was $4-6 for 2-day service from SF to DC. Prob not worth it if you are staying at a hotel that provides toothpaste and shave gel. But definitely worth it if you have expensive gel meds, suntan lotion, cosmetics, etc. Anything to avoid baggage claim.

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 30, 2006 at 6:57 pm Reason: add pens
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any solution for sunscreen? I sure wish there were a 4 oz rule like for contact lens solution. I'm heading to Florida for a long weekend so I need it. Tried buying "stick sunscreen" at home, but since it's the end of the season, they only had tiny tubes (at outrageous prices) that won't cut it.

I guess I'll be hitting the Wal-Mart after I arrive. Maybe I'll load up on sticks if they have it (and then, of course, the rules will change again).
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:12 am
ob1

Originally Posted by Boraxo
YES (ironically sodium was purportedly one of the ingredients in the London bomb formula)
I don't think so as I understand it was a trinary consisting of A, HP and SA
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:14 am
ob1

Originally Posted by TRRed
I came across this site for making one's own tooth powder.
Ruo row..... I can see that casuign a whole new set of security issues! :-(
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Fresh Fruit still allowed?

It's been stated here a couple of weeks ago that we could still bring fresh fruit onboard. Is that still true? Any recent experiences?

TSA's website still has a page saying so (but not that I really trust them to have everything updated and correct there):
http://www.tsa.gov/summer/foodalcohol.htm

but they are silent on their 9-page list of prohibited/permitted items:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:38 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo

Speed stick deodorant stick - YES
This is what I use too. Did they actually look at it and say "yes" you can take it, or did they just miss it altogether?

I'm flying ORD-MIA tomorrow so I'm wondering.

Has anyone has a TSA agent in the U.S. TAKE AWAY their Speed Stick deodorant (or similar brand?)

(I can't believe I even have to ask that)
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey | UA Plat | UA 2M Miler | Marriott Plat | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
Alternatives to solids and gels

For those interested in finding "solid" alternatives that are permissable for carry ons, check out www.pleasecarryon.com
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by g_leyser
This is what I use too. Did they actually look at it and say "yes" you can take it, or did they just miss it altogether?
They've looked at my solid stick deoderant 3 times and okayed it, but it does say "solid" on the package in big letters.... in MCI, LGA and MCO. btw, since I refuse to check my 20 inch rollerboard, it is getting opened everytime at the security checkpoints.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:19 pm

Eye drops in 1oz. spray can allowed?

I know that eye drops less than 4 oz. are allowed in carry-on, but the eye moisturizer I use is "Nature's Tears Eye Mist" which is in a spray can which is "under pressure". Does anyone know if this item is allowed in carry-on? From tsa site, I am not sure. Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:16 am

SAN to IAD 9/1

I was traveling to IAD with one carry-on, in which I had a large ziplock with toiletries. Inside that was a smaller ziplock with toothpaste and shave gel.

I got secondaried, bag searched, the TSA closely inspected my stick deodorant, explained that's why he pulled me over, and when replacing them, noticed the toothpaste and shave gel, and pulled them.

Okay was Afrin, Visine, razor, misc pills/vitamins in baggies, toothbrushes and the inspection-triggering deodorant.

I got no wanding or any other attention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.