Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please do not lock your luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2003, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CarmelGreg:
Is TSADude really with the TSA? Probably not. Just some prepubescent teenager enjoying "yanking your chain" in this forum. I say TSADude thanks for nothing and go back to AOL Chat with the rest of children the .............</font>
I believe he is based on the content of past posts. He is a baggage screening supervisor at Tampa airport. His wife also works for the TSA.

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Buster:
Instead, he has chosen to make sarcastic posts that seem designed to anger us and bait us. tsadude's remarks are only making us think worse of the TSA and making us more and more suspicious of TSA policy.</font>
Hmmm. Interesting point. Hypothetically, if we were to wonder who might try to foster hostility towards the TSA and post 9/11 security, whom might that be?

Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:38 pm

Seriously, what kind of response do you expect when your organization 1)Opens bags on a whim (pre-screening machine has a 30% failure rate) 2)Breaks locks on locked bags and opens them without the owner present and 3)Refuses to accept any liability for damage or theft resulting from 2) above?

1. It is not on a whim. It is policy that we must follow whether I agree with it or not.
2. If we had to call every passenger down for every bag we had to open, what kind of delays do you think we would have then?
3. Unfortunatly once it leaves TSA's hands it passes through many others before you receive it. I can only tell you this. There are many eyes on us as we search though bags. I doubt that anyone would risk taking something.

PS I will introduce myself soon. I am short on time.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
THIS IS JUST MORE PASSING THE BUCK.

These idiots tell us not to lock our bags, and if we do, they may be required to break the lock. BUT, they do not want to be responsible for OUR belongings if they are stolen.

THIS IS PURE NONSENSE. It did not take long for the "Government Attitude" to take root at the Thousands Standing Around.

I hope that each and every person who has been inconvenienced and ripped off by the TSA remembers on election day that it was Tom Daschle who forced this wasteful agency upon our country.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:44 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. TSA:
[B]2. If we had to call every passenger down for every bag we had to open, what kind of delays do you think we would have then?
[B]</font>
IIRC, this is exactly what they do at LHR, the busiest airport in Europe and perhaps the busiest truly "international" airport in the world.

Since the TSA does have the proverbial cast of "Thousands," surely it too can duplicate this policy?

As an aside: I'm simply going to check my Glock 19 anytime I need to check luggage. That should, in theory, keep the TSA gurus from cracking open my luggage outside of my physical presence.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.

[This message has been edited by ClueByFour (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Jan 31, 2003, 1:23 am

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
I'll be laughing at your response as I pop the locks off of your luggage and then it may make your flight if it is found at all.

</font>
I know this will be a bummer for you, but you will have to fulfill your undie-sniff'n fetish elsewhere (don't they have a website for that...www.TSAScreener.com?). This old FFer has a brain, uses it when he packs to have as little to do with you and your comrades as possible, and NEVER checks luggage.

I'll prance through your scrutiny point so fast you won't even catch a wiff of my hair gel.

yah'll cum bak naw, ya hir...and don't be a lok'n yur bags cuz if ya do, we'll sik tsadude on em and he'll jus chew them loks right off. Hell, we toss him a FA or granny in a wheely-chair every once in a while just fer laffs.

[This message has been edited by mwp2paris (edited 01-31-2003).]
Old Jan 31, 2003, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mwp2paris:
I know this will be a bummer for you, but you will have to fulfill your undie-sniff'n fetish elsewhere (don't they have a website for that...www.TSAScreener.com?). This old FFer has a brain, uses it when he packs to have as little to do with you and your comrades as possible, and NEVER checks luggage.

I'll prance through your scrutiny point so fast you won't even catch a wiff of my hair gel.

yah'll cum bak naw, ya hir...and don't be a lok'n yur bags cuz if ya do, we'll sik tsadude on em and he'll jus chew them loks right off. Hell, we toss him a FA or granny in a wheely-chair every once in a while just fer laffs.

[This message has been edited by mwp2paris (edited 01-31-2003).]
</font>
Dang,I am glad to see that someone has a sense of humor here. We'll catch you someday and confiscate your gel. I will seek counseling on the fetish thing, I did not realize it was that obvious.

Old Jan 31, 2003, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
THIS IS JUST MORE PASSING THE BUCK.

These idiots tell us not to lock our bags, and if we do, they may be required to break the lock. BUT, they do not want to be responsible for OUR belongings if they are stolen.

THIS IS PURE NONSENSE. It did not take long for the "Government Attitude" to take root at the Thousands Standing Around.

I hope that each and every person who has been inconvenienced and ripped off by the TSA remembers on election day that it was Tom Daschle who forced this wasteful agency upon our country.
</font>
Actually TSA stands for Tough .... A$$hole.

Old Jan 31, 2003, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Would that I could afford to, though now your organization seems to be wanting to subject charter flights to the same nonsense.

Seriously, what kind of response do you expect when your organization 1)Opens bags on a whim (pre-screening machine has a 30% failure rate) 2)Breaks locks on locked bags and opens them without the owner present and 3)Refuses to accept any liability for damage or theft resulting from 2) above?

Did you think that the two word response was going to be "happy birthday"? If so, guess again...

</font>
I find it interesting that the makers of these machines all of a sudden realize that there is a 30% failure rate. I think that they knew it all along and will sell the government the software upgrade for a fee.
Old Jan 31, 2003, 1:20 pm

Location: Here, there, and everywhere. Hip, hip, so hip to be square.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:

Actually TSA stands for Tough .... A$$hole.
</font>
I long for the day when enhancements to the UBB format allow for the "Ignore Poster" button to become reality.

Mook
Old Jan 31, 2003, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mook:
I long for the day when enhancements to the UBB format allow for the "Ignore Poster" button to become reality.

Mook
</font>
I was just thinking the same thing
Old Jan 31, 2003, 3:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Actually TSA stands for Tough .... A$$hole.</font>
Hey, I don't know if tsadude is with the TSA or not but I do find his definition humorous. Guess the TSA folks were sick of hearing the Thousands Standing Around thing a hundred times a day and decided to come up with their own version.
Old Jan 31, 2003, 6:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Maybe if they were actually doing something instead of standing around with their thumbs up their collective butts, they would not have to hear us TAXPAYERS make those comments.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 12:47 am

Now, to get back on topic. . .

First, I want to say that so far my encounters with the TSA have been pleasant and professional. One TSAer even offered me a Tootsie Roll Pop after she finished frisking me!

I am, however, VERY disturbed by the "don't lock your luggage" rule. I do not want to be responsible for what someone has put INTO my luggage, as well as what they may take out. I'm not too concerned about the TSA taking something, but a lot of people have access to that bag after it leaves tSA hands.

So far DEN is the only place where I have not been allowed to be present when my luggage was screened. I asked to be paged if it was necessary to open the bag, and I was told that was "impossible".

I locked my bag anyway, and the check-in agent handed me a slip of paper from the TSA stating that locked bags will be "opened if necessary", and the "process could result in delay or damage." She also said the airline would not be responsible for damage if I "insisted" on locking my bag. Fortunately, my bag was not "selected" for further inspection.

Europe has had checked-bag screening for years, and I have been called to the back several times to be present when the bag needed to be opened. This has always happened while I was still in the check-in area, and did not result in any significant delays. I was told at LGW that they *always* want the passenger present when going through their belongings. It is a very simple and efficient process.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 12:42 am
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Nightflyer:

I am, however, VERY disturbed by the "don't lock your luggage" rule. I do not want to be responsible for what someone has put INTO my luggage, as well as what they may take out. I'm not too concerned about the TSA taking something, but a lot of people have access to that bag after it leaves tSA hands.
</font>
Fantastic defense for drug smugglers! That kilo of heroin? It must have been put in by that guy with the cap!

Aren't you glad they stopped asking those stupid questions about who packed your luggage and has it been under your control? Can you imagine 100,000 passengers a day now saying, "Hmmm? I guess I did leave it on a conveyor belt with strangers for about the last 4 hours before this connecting flight."

[This message has been edited by RS (edited 02-02-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.