US Passport Renewal Delay

Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:10 am
Original Poster

US Passport Renewal Delay

I applied to upgrade my 3 year old son's passport to a book for a trip to Australia. Today, after almost 5 weeks of starting the application, I get a letter saying they need a consent form because one of us wasn't present at the time of application (which is absolutely not true because we both were there and signed etc.) The big problem is, our flight leaves on the 5th (10 days from today) and I'm getting nervous about how close this is. I called them and even the rep was confused about the request. He said he messaged them with my phone number included to ask for clarification. The passport is being processed in Tucson which is 2 hours drive from where I live. Should I just schedule an appointment and go in person to accelerate this process? I don't even mind applying again in person, expedited, because the $160 or so that it would cost is far cheaper than the $1000 I'd have to pay in flight change fees if it's delayed. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless you can get a commitment that the new passport is being shipped out on Monday:

Schedule a close-in appointment and drive there. As you point out, if you do not get this fixed, you won't be flying. While this may be logistically difficult, I would have both parents/guardians present at that appointment.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Unless you can get a commitment that the new passport is being shipped out on Monday:

Schedule a close-in appointment and drive there. As you point out, if you do not get this fixed, you won't be flying. While this may be logistically difficult, I would have both parents/guardians present at that appointment.
Thanks for the info. Monday will be almost impossible to drive there, but Tuesday is open. Would that be sufficient, or should I try my best at making there on Monday?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Plat
If your son is three would he not have at least 2 years left on his old passport?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bruceba
If your son is three would he not have at least 2 years left on his old passport?
I forgot to mention, his old passport was a card. This application is to upgrade to a passport book because we can't use his card to fly to Australia.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Can you get your kid's passport back? They offer expedited visa renewals that take only a day or two, so if you get the passport back you can get it done in less than a week.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod
Can you get your kid's passport back? They offer expedited visa renewals that take only a day or two, so if you get the passport back you can get it done in less than a week.
The passport card is the only passport we have for him. This application is for a passport book. Should I just go to Tucson and apply again expedited?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by magnitude
The passport card is the only passport we have for him. This application is for a passport book. Should I just go to Tucson and apply again expedited?
I'm sorry. I misread.

You can't do a new passport application at a passport center.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod
I'm sorry. I misread.

You can't do a new passport application at a passport center.
Wait really? Because when I called to schedule an appointment they list all documents needed to apply for a new passport. Also my son's application is literally being processed at the Tucson passport center where I made the appointment at.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Tuesday will be fine. If indeed the passport is being processed in Tucson, perhaps you can get confirmation that it is ready and being overnighted to you.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by magnitude
Wait really? Because when I called to schedule an appointment they list all documents needed to apply for a new passport. Also my son's application is literally being processed at the Tucson passport center where I made the appointment at.
If you made an appointment, then they must be willing to see people in such circumstances. However, I suspect that the general public might not be able to apply for a passport at such offices.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you made an appointment, then they must be willing to see people in such circumstances. However, I suspect that the general public might not be able to apply for a passport at such offices.
Yah I believe you're right. I think applying in person at one of the regional offices is mostly likely reserved for special circumstances.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.