Wiki Posts
Search

Passport normal wear and tear question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM
Passport normal wear and tear question

My US Passport book is seven years old. It just recently had pages added in it. I noticed that there was a staple from a stapled in picture (added when I got the passport card) that was causing a slightly larger tear than normal staple "entry holes." I removed the staple, and put very SMALL slivers of tape over the staples holes to prevent them from getting larger / tearing more.

The page that this happened on is the one that you sign on, right above the data page. Is this small sliver of tape and the slightly enlarged staple holes that it covers up likely to cause problems while traveling?

As mentioned, it just had pages added and Passport Services either did not notice/care. I am traveling to Honduras in September and just want to make sure Delta won't object at check in or the Honduran immigration officials won't refuse me entry. Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It doesn't sound bad to me, small holes on a single page. I think they get worked up when the book covers are in bad shape or there is damage to the photo page.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
I am not an expert here, either, but it sounds pretty normal. My last passport involved a lot of travel to Southeast Asian countries. Most of them require that you keep your passport in your possession at all times, and they're tropical and hot. My passport was exposed to lots of sweat in my pocket, and was kinda wrinkled, but nobody ever gave it a second look. I doubt you have anything to worry about.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Nothing for 2014, at least Silver for 2015)
My last passport went through the wash (whoops) and was in very bad shape. The cover was peeling off the back page, the whole thing was extremely flexible. First time I used it in that condition, I entered and left Switzerland with no problem, entered Israel with no problem, and then got yelled at as I was trying to LEAVE Israel (which still makes no sense to me.) So I get back to the US and clear customs, and the officer says nothing about my passport. I ask if I need to replace it. He says, "Nope, looks fine to me."

So next time I go to Israel, I use the same passport. Again, I'm allowed in with no problem. Again, I get yelled at when I leave. This time they say that my passport has been flagged, and if I try to leave the country with it again, they won't let me. (Again, why let me in if you don't like my passport?) So when I get back to the US, I again ask the officer if there's an issue. Again, I'm told no. I mention that Israel does not like it, so he says, "Well, you don't want to mess with them, so you probably should replace it."

So, your passport is probably fine in most every country, and at most you'd probably get a warning if they don't like it. (This is assuming you do not fit any of the racial stereotypes that would deem you "suspicious.")
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cornfrontation
My last passport went through the wash (whoops) and was in very bad shape. The cover was peeling off the back page, the whole thing was extremely flexible. First time I used it in that condition, I entered and left Switzerland with no problem, entered Israel with no problem, and then got yelled at as I was trying to LEAVE Israel (which still makes no sense to me.) So I get back to the US and clear customs, and the officer says nothing about my passport. I ask if I need to replace it. He says, "Nope, looks fine to me."

So next time I go to Israel, I use the same passport. Again, I'm allowed in with no problem. Again, I get yelled at when I leave. This time they say that my passport has been flagged, and if I try to leave the country with it again, they won't let me. (Again, why let me in if you don't like my passport?) So when I get back to the US, I again ask the officer if there's an issue. Again, I'm told no. I mention that Israel does not like it, so he says, "Well, you don't want to mess with them, so you probably should replace it."

So, your passport is probably fine in most every country, and at most you'd probably get a warning if they don't like it. (This is assuming you do not fit any of the racial stereotypes that would deem you "suspicious.")
Personally, after being treated like that twice, I would have to have a pretty darn good reason why I should ever spend another dime in Israel.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Nothing for 2014, at least Silver for 2015)
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Personally, after being treated like that twice, I would have to have a pretty darn good reason why I should ever spend another dime in Israel.
If I don't go, I don't get to see my nieces or nephew. Just booked my next trip there for later this year!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM
Thank-you for the information everyone- I have gained some peace of mind after reading your responses!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cornfrontation
If I don't go, I don't get to see my nieces or nephew. Just booked my next trip there for later this year!
'Guess that's a pretty darn good reason.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.