Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

First international trip after visiting a "naughty list" country.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First international trip after visiting a "naughty list" country.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah--they're worried about the failures in life being recruited for terrorism and sent there for training.
Maybe somebody considered me a failure in life for intentionally flying SJC-IAH-LAX-SLC for extra mileage once...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hauteboy
I guess my Yemen flights were the a destination though, did open-jaw into Sana'a and out of Burundi.
As one does.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL
I've never had a problem with CBP, and I'm a photographer who has been to a number of countries that are "naughty." Most recently, it was during the Arab Spring, when I went through Bahrain, Egypt, and Libya, all during the heights of their uprisings/civil war. I was living in London at the time and I got questioned there, but nothing about them suspecting me, just what the experience was like. When I flew to the US two months after that, all I got asked was what I did for a living and when I said photographer, he asked what cameras I shot with and then let me on my way.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by photoguy989
I've never had a problem with CBP, and I'm a photographer who has been to a number of countries that are "naughty." Most recently, it was during the Arab Spring, when I went through Bahrain, Egypt, and Libya, all during the heights of their uprisings/civil war. I was living in London at the time and I got questioned there, but nothing about them suspecting me, just what the experience was like. When I flew to the US two months after that, all I got asked was what I did for a living and when I said photographer, he asked what cameras I shot with and then let me on my way.
Yeah, when you have an obvious reason for being in terrorist land they usually don't care. It's the people of little means that make one trip to terrorist land that they really care about.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:20 pm

Were your Somaliland/Yemen flights in the same PNR as your DOH-JFK flights, or bought with the same credit card?

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
When I came back from Somaliland and Yemen (amongst other places) in October, my US passport was flagged on my return flight from DOH-JFK. Which was interesting considering I used my Irish passport for those countries, not my US. But, as I'm about to board the bus to the plane from the premium terminal, the gate agent gets a concerned look on her face and makes me wait for a US official to show up and clear me. Searched EVERYTHING, took every item out of my bags, found the Irish passport with the dodgy stamps, which started a whole line of background questions which terrified me since, you know, I wasn't in the US and probably had exactly zero rights. Long story short, I'm sure with the information I was obligated to provide (if I wanted to fly) the NSA fully utilized my 14 hour flight to vet me.

But, on arrival went through JFK with no problems, and I've had zero problems coming in/out of the country in my last six international trips. So either I've been vetted and found to not pose a threat, or they don't link that trip with any subsequent ones.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Were your Somaliland/Yemen flights in the same PNR as your DOH-JFK flights, or bought with the same credit card?
Different PNR. Probably the same CC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.