Second US Passport

Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 2MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Second US Passport

I'm a US citizen and US passport holder currently living in Europe. Due to my job, I'm often required to obtain a visa for travel. Because of the visa processing time I'm left without a passport for 1-2 weeks when I'm not able to travel. Any experience in obtaining a second passport copy while living abroad?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CVG_DL
I'm a US citizen and US passport holder currently living in Europe. Due to my job, I'm often required to obtain a visa for travel. Because of the visa processing time I'm left without a passport for 1-2 weeks when I'm not able to travel. Any experience in obtaining a second passport copy while living abroad?
Yes. Here is what I do: apply at the nearest US Consulate/Embassy in person with a letter and/or other documentation on why I require a second ordinary US passport. If accepted and issued, it will ordinarily be valid for just two years.

As a US citizen who also holds residences in Europe, commutes between countries but holds no local ID acceptable for cross-border travel of the sort I do, I claimed that I needed it in order to facilitate meeting my professional and personal obligations in a timely and responsible manner.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
I have a similar problem with visa processing times and was considering a second passport. Does anyone have any experience with having two passports and Global Entry?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
So I just applied for a second passport a few weeks ago. I was told it might take a month and more to get it; I had to get a supporting statement from my employer and that took about two weeks (so I submitted it a few days ago), Instead of a month, it was approved the next day and I have been advised I would get it in 10 days at the local consulate.

I'm curious, do they ship the second passport from the passport center in the US (assuming in a diplomatic pouch), or do they just make these at the local consulate?

Also I applied for the thick passport (the one with 52 pages): would they give me this or will I get the regular one?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
I'm curious, do they ship the second passport from the passport center in the US (assuming in a diplomatic pouch), or do they just make these at the local consulate?

Also I applied for the thick passport (the one with 52 pages): would they give me this or will I get the regular one?
Since nobody answered my questions and in case someone else is looking for answers:

1) It took only 5 days to get my second passport;
2) It was mailed from the United States via a diplomatic pouch;
3) I was issued a thick (52 page) passport as that's what I ticked on the application.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alphaod
Since nobody answered my questions and in case someone else is looking for answers:

1) It took only 5 days to get my second passport;
2) It was mailed from the United States via a diplomatic pouch;
3) I was issued a thick (52 page) passport as that's what I ticked on the application.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just curious how you confirmed the second item above? Without fussing over words, I would say that the second and third items are indeed functionally as it often goes.

The timing was pretty good. Did you pay an expedite fee?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The second passport process is pretty straightforward, you can google the requirements and there are form letters online, I have never needed a letter from my employer, I just use the form letter and explain the trips that I have coming up that require visas, and attach the itineraries.

Both times I got them in the US, using a service, traveldocs.com, and it took about 7-10 days.

I guess you can apply for them at embassies too. I have gotten new regular 10 year passports too at embassies abroad, it also takes about a week.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just curious how you confirmed the second item above? Without fussing over words, I would say that the second and third items are indeed functionally as it often goes.

The timing was pretty good. Did you pay an expedite fee?
I guess I assumed about the diplomatic pouch; it came out of some pouch and there were a number of things they took out from in there.

I paid the standard $110 fee (breakdown being $70 for passport, $40 for some "security" fee).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.