Wiki Posts
Search

Close Encounter With Another Plane in the Air

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvanatge EXP
Close Encounter With Another Plane in the Air

I was just on UA 6498 from BOI-LAX on a CRJ-700. In the middle of our flight, another airplane flew on top of us. It wasn't just a tiny object in the distance, it was really close. It even caused our plane to rock back and forth several times. Is this normal? Or was this a close call? In all my travel experience, I have never encountered another aircraft mid flight at such close proximity.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you believe that ATC and the Captain violated the vertical spacing requirements, you should file a complaint with FAA's inspector general.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by AAbraCadabra
I was just on UA 6498 from BOI-LAX on a CRJ-700. In the middle of our flight, another airplane flew on top of us. It wasn't just a tiny object in the distance, it was really close. It even caused our plane to rock back and forth several times. Is this normal? Or was this a close call? In all my travel experience, I have never encountered another aircraft mid flight at such close proximity.
I am 99.99% positive it was not a threat. Reduced vertical separation minimum allows for 1,000 feet between planes as opposed to the old 2,000 feet standard. Both planes must have certain equipment installed to ensure safety margins are met. The fact no radical maneuvers were made indicates no issues. Had there been a conflict, TCAS would have warned both planes and evasive action would have been taken. This happens much more than people expect. Last week I was on a flight when a Southwest plane passed below us going in the opposite direction. Everything happened in 2 seconds and I just happened to be looking in the right place at the right time.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Common rule is 1000-2000 feet of vertical separation between planes at cruising altitude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.