Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Man arrested at MAN after reporting lost luggage containing £200k of opium

Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2014/04/16/m...luggage-opium/

He's trying to find lost luggage, but unfortunately, he was being caught by Border Force officers and sniffer dogs. He was admitted to bring drugs in Manchester, UK. He was originally from Tahran, Iran.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:20 am
Suspended

He'd probably rather be in prison than tell some drug boss he "lost" a bag with 200k in drugs. Prison > Death.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by greggarious
He'd probably rather be in prison than tell some drug boss he "lost" a bag with 200k in drugs. Prison > Death.
Have you not seen Goodfellas? It's easier to whack him in prison.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:29 am

Notice to travelers: If you cannot find your stash do not
ask the authorities for help--instead, run.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Lesson Learned: Don't Declare the Suitcase in Which You're Smuggling Drugs Lost

After his flight arrived at Manchester Airport, Amir Rahnama discovered that his suitcase had accidentally been left behind during a stop in Dubai. He did what any traveler in this situation would do, he alerted the airline and filled out the necessary missing luggage forms. The missing suitcase (with the passengers name on it) was tracked down in Dubai and flown to Manchester. The passenger was then asked to appear in person at the airport to claim it. He did so and used his passport to prove his identity.

Sounds like a boring, everyday occurrence except...

When the suitcase arrived at Manchester, drug sniffing dogs were attracted to the bag which led boarder police to inspect its content and that's when they discovered £197,000 worth of opium hidden in tubs of hair cream.

The officers arrested him after he identified himself in the process of trying to claim the suitcase. He's since been sentenced to 6 years in jail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pium-lost.html

Last edited by FTcadence; Apr 17, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Damn thats funny...he had some guts too!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:27 pm

The happens because he is much more afraid of what would happen to him if just showed up without the drugs. He would not want the DTO to think he kept the drugs. He would then owe the money to the DTO or worst.

FB

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 17, 2014 at 8:34 pm Reason: no need for wholesale quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by FTcadence
The officers arrested him after he identified himself in the process of trying to claim the suitcase. He's since been sentenced to 6 years in jail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pium-lost.html
Only 6 years in jail? Perhaps as a drug mule who didn't really know what was going on. In the States people are sentenced to longer for being in possession of a little pot. Here's two who were sentenced to 15 years for having 12 plants. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...na-plants.html
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Firebug4
The happens because he is much more afraid of what would happen to him if just showed up without the drugs. He would not want the DTO to think he kept the drugs. He would then owe the money to the DTO or worst.

FB
He did show up without the drugs. He then went back to get the bag.

If the recovery was about fear, it's likely to be fear about what would happen to his relatives outside the UK.

Originally Posted by deovrat
Damn thats funny...he had some guts too!
.... at least if he had some prior knowledge about the contraband in the luggage before he recovered it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
He did show up without the drugs. He then went back to get the bag.

If the recovery was about fear, it's likely to be fear about what would happen to his relatives outside the UK.

.... at least if he had some prior knowledge about the contraband in the luggage before he recovered it.
I can almost guarantee that he did NOT show up to where he was supposed to without that suitcase. He may have arrived in the airport but I bet he did NOT see or go to the person he was supposed to be delivering that suitcase to.

It was all about fear and not fear of going to jail. It was fear for himself, his family, and probably his pet dog too but fear from the DTO not the authorities.

FB
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Yo really can't fix "stoopit".

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 17, 2014 at 8:35 pm Reason: redundant reference
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Yo really can't fix "stoopit".
It was stupid to do it in the first place. I can fully understand why he tried to get the case back. That was not stupid at all. Now he gets to say that I didn't steal your drugs I got arrested trying to get them back. It return the DTO might not kill him, his love ones, or his dog.

FB

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 17, 2014 at 8:35 pm Reason: reference to deleted comments
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:35 pm
Suspended

I can almost guarantee that he did NOT show up to where he was supposed to without that suitcase. He may have arrived in the airport but I bet he did NOT see or go to the person he was supposed to be delivering that suitcase to.

It was all about fear and not fear of going to jail. It was fear for himself, his family, and probably his pet dog too but fear from the DTO not the authorities.

FB
Not much of a guarantee, but where did you come up with the story about him and a pet dog?

The judge in the matter is an acquaintance of my family. Small world.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not much of a guarantee, but where did you come up with the story about him and a pet dog?

The judge in the matter is an acquaintance of my family. Small world.
It's called sarcasm.

When people lose the drugs they are carrying for a DTO. They don't show up to a representative of the DTO when they think there is a possibility of getting them back. It doesn't matter how slim of a chance there is of getting them back they will chance it. That is because the DTO will hold them responsible for the amount the drugs were worth. When they can't pay they tend to end up dead, the family too, and the dog. Not in a particularly painless or peaceful way either.

Just as an aside, why is it you refuse to believe that the people that deal with these matters everyday as a profession do not have any insight as to how they work?

FB
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:03 pm
Suspended

I know how DTOs and human trafficking operations operate, especially in Europe where I deal with LEOs and IOs rather routinely. I also know how the freelance/DIY types get around. Not everyone working with an organization is in the same kind of circumstances as the majority of those working with an organization. I get that some people have stereotypes as their mental crutch, but intelligent people should be able to get beyond that -- especially as stereotypes don't always hold true, no less so given that people and circumstances are diverse.

Just as an aside, why is it you refuse to believe that the people that deal with these matters everyday as a profession do not have any insight as to how they work?

FB
Your question is premised on a falsehood not of my making, so don't expect me to answer an irrelevant question that doesn't even characterize me properly. Thank you for the evidence that mind-reading is not a science.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.