Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Traveling with 2 Passports and Green Card for honeymoon.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
I have been trying to find some guidance on this question. I will be traveling to Bora Bora, French Polynesia for my honeymoon. I currently live in US and hold a Green Card. The Green Card was obtained using my Dominican Citizenship, but I am also an Italian Citizen. French Polynesia belongs to France which is in the EU.

This is the question: Will I be able to travel with the two passports and not require the Visa for France on the Dominican Passport?

My confusion comes in terms of which passports to use. I know there is no a perfect certain answer, but I believe this is rather common.

Passport Sequence:

Departure of US
1. At Airline counter: use Italian Passport??
2. At Check in LAX: Italian Passport??
3. Arrival at French Polynesia Immigration: Italian.
-Honeymoon-
4. Airport Airline counter departure from Bora Bora: Italian or Dominican (Transmit flight info to US)
5. French Polynesia Immigration: Italian
6. Check to board for flight to LAX: Dominican + Green Card
7. Immigration at LAX: Dominican + Green Card

I know I should enter and exit each country with the same passport, but how is the information between the airline check in and immigration related??
What if the US Immigration officer asks for the stamp where I was which will be in the Italian passport, but I'm entering the US with the Dominican with the Green Card.

Any insights or help will be appreciated.
GianniFP
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GianniFP

Passport Sequence:

Departure of US
1. At Airline counter: use Italian Passport??
2. At Check in LAX: Italian Passport??
3. Arrival at French Polynesia Immigration: Italian.
-Honeymoon-
4. Airport Airline counter departure from Bora Bora: Italian or Dominican (Transmit flight info to US)
5. French Polynesia Immigration: Italian
6. Check to board for flight to LAX: Dominican + Green Card
7. Immigration at LAX: Dominican + Green Card
You pretty much have it nailed except "4". Check in with the Dominican passport which has your Green Card as I imagine that is the passport you will use to enter USA.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ421
You pretty much have it nailed except "4". Check in with the Dominican passport which has your Green Card as I imagine that is the passport you will use to enter USA.
Thanks for the reply!!!

I know US doesn't have Immigration departure check, but will the check in at the airport to leave US give them that information?? In which case they will get the Italian instead of Dominican.... I might be over-thinking this....
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:03 am

I don't know anything about French Polynesia specifically, but SQ421's advice is right. I used to overthink these things too, but now I've traveled with two passports many times, and it is no problem.

I think you might be worried about checking in for a flight with one passport--and thus having that passport on Advance Passenger Information (API)--and then arriving at your destination and showing the other passport to immigration. But this is done all the time. Show the immigration authorities the passport that makes your life easiest--the Italian to get into French Polynesia.

Originally Posted by GianniFP
I know I should enter and exit each country with the same passport, but how is the information between the airline check in and immigration related??
What if the US Immigration officer asks for the stamp where I was which will be in the Italian passport, but I'm entering the US with the Dominican with the Green Card.
If an authority--immigration or airline--asks for something that your other passport shows, as in this case, just show them the other passport. (Personally, I doubt the US will look for a stamp, and sometimes countries don't stamp anyway, but it could happen.) It is no big deal, and you are not doing anything shady. You're carrying two passports, both of which you are perfectly entitled to, and they both show you are the same person.

Enjoy your honeymoon!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by candyann
I don't know anything about French Polynesia specifically, but SQ421's advice is right. I used to overthink these things too, but now I've traveled with two passports many times, and it is no problem.

I think you might be worried about checking in for a flight with one passport--and thus having that passport on Advance Passenger Information (API)--and then arriving at your destination and showing the other passport to immigration. But this is done all the time. Show the immigration authorities the passport that makes your life easiest--the Italian to get into French Polynesia.

If an authority--immigration or airline--asks for something that your other passport shows, as in this case, just show them the other passport. (Personally, I doubt the US will look for a stamp, and sometimes countries don't stamp anyway, but it could happen.) It is no big deal, and you are not doing anything shady. You're carrying two passports, both of which you are perfectly entitled to, and they both show you are the same person.

Enjoy your honeymoon!
Candyann, SQ421, Thanks for the reply!!! That makes sense and I feel much more confident now.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.