Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Laptop and Tablet stolen from KIX United Lounge

Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold

Hi,
As you can tell from the title, my Laptop and Tablet was stolen from my bag on Osaka Airport United Lounge. I did not take my laptop or tablet out of the bag in the lounge. Probably when I went to restroom someone opened the bag and stole it. I realized my things were missing on SFO Airport.

I have already complained to United and they are checking with the lounge. Most likely they won't find it.

I am United 1K member, traveling on united flight from KIX to SFO in Business Class, paid by United miles and United Credit Card and the theft happened in United Lounge.
Does any of the above things make me eligible for any travel insurance where I can claim for the theft?
I already asked United Agent but she said insurance is only available for checked-in items. Just trying my luck here.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
First of all sorry this happened - really surprised in Japan this would happen but likely a fellow traveller....

Check out your home insurance policy if you have one - you might be covered....
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I think your chances are slim to none for finding any insurance solution unless you bought travel insurance yourself for the trip. You could try your homeowners policy (if you have one) as a hail Mary.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
I too think you will strike out unless you explicitly bought trip insurance.

Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to contact your HO policy insurer and see what the policy might cover.

Bummer here. I would be beyond POed if I returned from a brief restroom break to find a theft had occurred.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:03 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Homeowners insurance (or rental insurance) often covers things like this. Up to you if it's worth filing a claim. Sorry for your loss.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:08 pm

You said you didn't notice it until SFO. Any chance someone on the TPAC flight grabbed it?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
You said you didn't notice it until SFO. Any chance someone on the TPAC flight grabbed it?
I caught someone trying to get to my carry on on a TATL flight....thank goodness I was awake...sorry for your loss....what is our world coming to? is there no modicum of civility anymore?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Terrible to read this...a shot in the dark here, but if OP used say an AMEX cc to purchase the laptop and tablet could it covered even if 90+ days old?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'd encourage reporting this to United. Whether they take liability or not, they have a list of all the people who were in the KIX lounge pre-flight. It can't be that long of a list.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
I was thinking the same thing.

Were the items physically inside your bag under some sort of secured flap? I once had my MacBook Air slip out my carryon's back pocket (open top) while in transit. I didn't notice (it doesn't weigh much) and I was lucky that it was quickly found still in the overhead bin following a short search at CDG.

I also think the subject line is a bit too specific. A better phrase might be: My laptop and tablet that I last saw in ???? weren't in my bag when I arrived at SFO.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by transportprof
I'd encourage reporting this to United. Whether they take liability or not, they have a list of all the people who were in the KIX lounge pre-flight. It can't be that long of a list.
It is our own responsibility/liability for leaving bags unattended in any location? I always take my bags with me when I cannot keep an eye on them.@:-)
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:15 pm

[QUOTE=boss315:22546762]

I caught someone trying to get to my carry on on a TATL flight....thank goodness I was awake..[
/QUOTE]
What did you do?

And to anyone who is unsure - homeowners insurance does cover
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I can't imagine UA taking responsibility for this (though I admit to leaving my computer case unattended at the lounge as well). It is a sad story but the airline isn't to blame. And even if UA has a full list of people who were in the lounge at the time, what would they do? Contact everyone and search their homes for your laptop/tablet?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Terrible to read this...a shot in the dark here, but if OP used say an AMEX cc to purchase the laptop and tablet could it covered even if 90+ days old?
No, I did not use Amex to purchase it. I used my Best Buy Credit Card.
My layover was 1.5 hrs only. If the lounge has cameras, it should not take them very long to figure out who took it.

Originally Posted by skiermsm
It is our own responsibility/liability for leaving bags unattended in any location? I always take my bags with me when I cannot keep an eye on them.@:-)
Thats what I am going to do from now on. Lounge just gives you a false sense of security.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 18, 2014 at 4:42 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
First of all, there is no UC or other United-operated lounge at KIX. UA utilizes a contract lounge at KIX.

Second, I'm not sure how having a list of 50 or 100 passengers who were in the Asuka lounge at some point during the day would do anything to assist in the retrieval of OP's laptop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.