Wiki Posts
Search

EU Visa Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
EU Visa Question

I am not sure where to ask this, but does anybody know if there is any rule on multiple entries to the EU by Americans? For example, I will be in Germany next week (November '13),I would like to travel to Spain in March '14, and then Germany/Austria/Switzerland in August '14. Are there any restrictions against entering the EU multiple times for US citizens. Do I need a special multiple entry visa or anything like that? thanks in advance
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
As an American traveling to the EU and countries in the Schengen area you will not need any visa if you are staying for less than 90 total days within a 180 day period. See Schengen FAQs from the State Department
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by merc1234
I am not sure where to ask this, but does anybody know if there is any rule on multiple entries to the EU by Americans? For example, I will be in Germany next week (November '13),I would like to travel to Spain in March '14, and then Germany/Austria/Switzerland in August '14. Are there any restrictions against entering the EU multiple times for US citizens. Do I need a special multiple entry visa or anything like that? thanks in advance
Even before I had residences in the EU Schengen area, as a US citizen I've entered the EU Schengen area as frequently as several dozen times a year for some years without any visa/residence permit for the EU Schengen area. As long as I stayed under 90 days in a 180 day rolling calendar period, I expected no trouble and had no trouble.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Great! Thanks for the quick responses.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: QFF
Depending on the port of entry, they might not even check the time limits. I've had EU entries in MAD, BCN, CDG, FCO and FRA and exits at AMS, HEL, MAD and FCO. Most of the time they just look at the passport data page, then find a page to stamp. No questions, no passport scans/swipes.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I have a similar question but didn't want to start a new thread. This is what I have upcomming:

Dec 9- Switzerland
Dec 10-14 -Germany
Dec 15-22 - England
Then I fly from Heathrow-Frankfurt on the 22nd, overnight it at the airport hotel, then I fly FRA-IAH.

My question is, I leave the schengen zone going to england, but then have a flight to germany (onwards to the US).

Since im re-entering the schengen zone is that a problem? Will I need to do something for a multiple entry visa for this?

Since this is all within a 90 days, I'm fine right? My problem comes with the interpretation of entering and exiting the schengen countries, since I'm leaving them after 6 days, and re-entering for a day a week later.

Last edited by BThumme; Dec 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:09 am

ASSUMING you are a US citizen you don't need a "multiple entry visa" (which would have to be applied for several months in advance) as your total stay in Schengen countries is less than 90 days in the 180 days from your first entry to Schengen.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by alanR
ASSUMING you are a US citizen you don't need a "multiple entry visa" (which would have to be applied for several months in advance) as your total stay in Schengen countries is less than 90 days in the 180 days from your first entry to Schengen.
I am. Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alanR
True, at least when the purpose of the visit is tourism or most sorts of business meetings/conferences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.