Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry denial Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Global Entry denial Cuba

So i applied last year and was denied based on my travel to cuba in 2000. I admitted to it, they had no idea ( i think.) We were stopped when we came back across the border in 2000 with cigars and received all types a threatening letters. I was never convicted of anything, just harassed for $$ in my opinion. Is this worth appealing? Do i stand a chance? Thanks in advance
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
No. Putting aside that travel to Cuba is illegal (or was then), except under very narrow circumstances, you also attempted to import prohibited items (cigars). That is exactly the type of conduct that CBP deems untrustworthy for purposes of GE.

I think any appeal has virtually a zero percent chance of success. The only reason to appeal is because it won't cost you anything to do so--your $100 application is already gone.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If caught violating customs rules rather recently, the chances of the appeal working are pretty low. If you want to get more bang for whatever financial expenditure was already made to get into GE, then appeal if you wish -- as it costs you little real cash but costs the government something more.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I thought that it technically is not illegal to enter Cuba physically; it is just illegal for persons subject to US jurisdiction to spend any money in or related to Cuba without explicit authorization from the Treasury Dept. (So, for example, there are some exceptions for "fully-hosted" guests of Cuban families, mostly their own family members visiting and so forth, who must agree not to spend a penny to enrich a Communist country. Not sure if that is an archaic interpretation, but that is what I interpret the purpose of the sanctions to be.)

Here is the official wording:

...regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba, or that the transactions in question be exempt from licensing requirements. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

Source:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1097.html
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that OP attempted to import goods into the USA which he was not permitted to import. That's exactly the conduct which would generally cause a GE holder to be bounced, so it's exactly the sort of reason to deny him.

Was a waste of OP's time and $100 to apply. Forget it, move on.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:17 pm
Suspended

It worse than that. Your behavior will result in all family members getting denials. That is in writing, at least, if you lose Global Entry, they will take it away from all family members.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:18 pm
Suspended

On the bright side, this might help you get elected into some office!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Bamaler
It worse than that. Your behavior will result in all family members getting denials. That is in writing, at least, if you lose Global Entry, they will take it away from all family members.
Can you cite a reference for this assertion? Never read about this. Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line is that OP attempted to import goods into the USA which he was not permitted to import. That's exactly the conduct which would generally cause a GE holder to be bounced, so it's exactly the sort of reason to deny him.

Was a waste of OP's time and $100 to apply. Forget it, move on.
+1 but this is also a good indication that there are in fact real standards that GE holders must meet.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bamaler
Denial/revocation of GE status is not necessarily the outcome, even as our government may seem to have a thing for communal punishment and/or "guilt by association" that hits the innocent.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:35 am
Original Poster

When i received the letters requesting information on my travels to cuba, my response was just as indicated above. I was a hosted guest and did not spend a penny while on Cuban soil. The letters never referenced the cigars and eventually stopped coming. I was hassled at the border for a few years, then for the past 10 years things have been quite normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.